• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] [OFFICIAL] Gan 356i discussion / software updates / issues report

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I still own Gan 356i v1, and I consider buying v2.
Two questions:
What improvements Gan 356 v2 has over v1?
Is this legit seller of v2 version, or he just sells v1?

Thanks in advance!
Not sure about other questions, but definitely don’t buy from there I think

Rafaello

WCA
2019SADE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I still own Gan 356i v1, and I consider buying v2.
Two questions:
What improvements Gan 356 v2 has over v1?
Is this legit seller of v2 version, or he just sells v1?

Thanks in advance!
Honestly, I tried v1 on comp while ago, and I have v2. I can't see any big differences, and if You have v1, I wouldn't recommand buying v2. Buying cubes on Aliexpress is lottery. If You still want to buy it, I would recommand this store: http://www.ziicube.com/Exponent/3x3x3/GAN356i2

HoshiYamazaki

I bought cube from Cubicle despite living in Poland with payment of additional 15 USD but I can resist that.

Honestly, I tried v1 on comp while ago, and I have v2. I can't see any big differences, and if You have v1, I wouldn't recommand buying v2. Buying cubes on Aliexpress is lottery. If You still want to buy it, I would recommand this store: http://www.ziicube.com/Exponent/3x3x3/GAN356i2

Collecting cubes is kinda my hobby and I'm employed now, so I don't think this is so "much waste of money" for me. I own now 70 rubiks cube at home.

The advantage is really better battery life (I suppose GAN reworked some of the sleep system in the 356i CPU), so instead of being able to stand idle for day/two it can stay for 60 days. And it lasts an bit longer (50% more time I heard?).

I only hope GAN will finally get app to better state, the price of cube is high and I understand costs of employment of certain peoples and low sales of 356i but... meh.

Rafaello

WCA
2019SADE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Collecting cubes is kinda my hobby and I'm employed now, so I don't think this is so "much waste of money" for me. I own now 70 rubiks cube at home.
Yeah, if you are collecting cubes it is nice then, you can always use one of them - even if other one is recharging. I'm also collector (over 110 cubes, and also from Poland). I think that both v1 and v2 are pretty nice addition to collection.

Daveyboyz

I recently got the 356i play, not realising it was without the gyro (it being called 356i also made this unclear) it was disappointing but might not have been quite so bad if I could at least reorient the cube in the software... It seems possible to revolve it keeping white side up but I can't reorient it.

Also when I replay my solves often I am looking at them side on and all the moves have become B and L instead of U and R. Can the ability to turn the cube be added on the replays or am I missing something?

Nebilam

I recently bought the GAN 356i v2 at an online speedcube shop. Because there was a problem with the charging, I've sent it back. The online shop then replaced the core parts of the cube and sent it back to me. However, I have the suspicion that they have put a v1 core inside now. When I asked the shop about this, they told me that there is no such thing as a V2.

What I would like to know is, how can I tell for sure that the inner core is v1 instead of v2? Does anyone know how to find this out?

Btw. the 'repaired' cube does not light up when charging. To connect the cube via bluetooth to my smartphone, I have to shake it 5 times instead of U U'.

cubeast

I recently bought the GAN 356i v2 at an online speedcube shop. Because there was a problem with the charging, I've sent it back. The online shop then replaced the core parts of the cube and sent it back to me. However, I have the suspicion that they have put a v1 core inside now. When I asked the shop about this, they told me that there is no such thing as a V2.

What I would like to know is, how can I tell for sure that the inner core is v1 instead of v2? Does anyone know how to find this out?

Btw. the 'repaired' cube does not light up when charging. To connect the cube via bluetooth to my smartphone, I have to shake it 5 times instead of U U'.

You should probably never do business with that shop again. V2 core is white while V1 is black. They made it partly translucent to add the charging light. V2 is on the right, V1 on the left:

IMG_20200717_184437.jpg

You can also use cubeast.com to verify. When you connect to a new device there it'll display the cube version.

Nebilam

You can also use cubeast.com to verify. When you connect to a new device there it'll display the cube version.

Thank you for the advice! Where exactly do you see the cube version on cubeast.com. I tried it and it only says that my model is GAN356i (International), (see picture below). Does that mean it is the v1?

chrome_2WTwFrbUSU.png

cubeast

Thank you for the advice! Where exactly do you see the cube version on cubeast.com. I tried it and it only says that my model is GAN356i (International), (see picture below). Does that mean it is the v1?

View attachment 12900

Yes, that's version 1. Version 1 had 2 releases, one for the Chinese market and one for the international market. You have the second release. Anyway, it's not version 2 :/

Nebilam

Yes, that's version 1. Version 1 had 2 releases, one for the Chinese market and one for the international market. You have the second release. Anyway, it's not version 2 :/

Thank you! Cool site btw! Didn't know it yet.

Daveyboyz

Still waiting for a response...

How do I get it to playback my solve with the cross at the bottom of the cube so it's possible to see what I was doing and have the solve algorythms using U and R moves?

Also would be good if I could export the replay.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Still waiting for a response...

How do I get it to playback my solve with the cross at the bottom of the cube so it's possible to see what I was doing and have the solve algorythms using U and R moves?

Also would be good if I could export the replay.
Not sure... Have you looked up this question too? Others may have asked as well and gotten an answer

Daveyboyz

This is a pretty long thread, I went through quite a lot of it and found it surprising nobody asked the same question.

In an ideal world my cube would have had a gyro, but alas it wasn't clear

I am guessing with the proper cube it auto orients the playback and this issue only effects the 'play' but I can't be the only one frustrated by the lack of a way to reorient the cube in the app to match how I held it.

Daveyboyz

Schrub that, reply 178 said it will be added in a future update...

Who knows when that will be?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a pretty long thread, I went through quite a lot of it and found it surprising nobody asked the same question.

In an ideal world my cube would have had a gyro, but alas it wasn't clear

I am guessing with the proper cube it auto orients the playback and this issue only effects the 'play' but I can't be the only one frustrated by the lack of a way to reorient the cube in the app to match how I held it.
Search as in on google

Daveyboyz

Yes tried that...

The reply on this thread saying the issue will be raised with the tech team was in November 2019 so hopefully the update won't be long now.

I am amazed they didn't consider it before they released the I play, I mean who'd want to watch the backside of a solve.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes tried that...

The reply on this thread saying the issue will be raised with the tech team was in November 2019 so hopefully the update won't be long now.

I am amazed they didn't consider it before they released the I play, I mean who'd want to watch the backside of a solve.
I seriously feel like there is a button that does reorients, if there is not, urgh

SlowDown

I dont buy the new 356i v2. I dont trust Gan and there Software Support!
They have no iPad Support, no Software Update for Apple User and No reaction - just the Standard blablabla.....
They just talk and do nothing. Months and months and months the same.
"-till now Still no support for iPad after months of release...
-the app support is a bad joke if you know the good Gan hardware support. Gan need a bigger support and Development team for this (new) kind of products!
-the 356i is the most expansive stock cube in germany with the baddest problems "

Do something...

I think it was a Big mistake to buy this cube without working Software!
Android is ok, but still Not perfect. I hope for Open API's and third Party Apps IOS/Android, but this Will Never happen!

The Standard Gan Cubes are great, the Hardware and the Hardware Support works good.
Buy the normal Gan Cubes and enjoy them.