• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] [OFFICIAL] Gan 356i discussion / software updates / issues report

canibanoglu

Ha, thanks but that's the next step, I don't even know my account name on CubeStation :D How do I find that out in the app? I didn't get to choose a username as I signed up over Facebook

canibanoglu

One question I have that might actually belong to the software forum: is there an official API documentation for BLE connectivity?

nonoperez

After a month or so with the cube in a drawer I have taken it, charged for about 2 hours, and tried to play some battles.
Results: 2 successful games, 2 match failed and 1 DNF in this order.

My wonderful and expensive gan356i goes again to the drawer...

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
After a month or so with the cube in a drawer I have taken it, charged for about 2 hours, and tried to play some battles.
Results: 2 successful games, 2 match failed and 1 DNF in this order.

My wonderful and expensive gan356i goes again to the drawer...

It's not about the drawer, it's about the server. Please let me know the following info:

For outside China users please reply your problems about the server in following format:
1. Details (which function you use and what happened)
2. Which country you based
3. Frequency (once in a hundred or 20% chances) and how long (a while or last for few days)
4. Open https://en.ipip.net/ and list the data shown in the website like this:

• IP 120.197.1.137
  • Location China Guangdong Guangzhou ChinaMobile
  • Longitude and Latitude 23.12911, 113.264385
  • Time Zone Asia/Shanghai / UTC+8
This is to test if the problem is about physical distance or local Internet Service Provider. PM me if you'd like to keep it private.

nonoperez

I'm sorry Oliver, you seem to be a good man but I'm tired of this.

As you know, I've been very active since the beginning in this forum, testing the app in the very first moments, giving feedback and ideas about how to improve the experience, but my conclusión now is that the only problem of gan is that they need to invest more money in servers around the world and they don't want to, my feedback is not going to make any difference about this. The problem is not local Internet Service Provider on my side, 500 mb/s connection..

I'm very active in forums about software, custom ROMs in smartphones, and other subjects, but here the attitude of Gan seems to be that we users have the responsibility of testing and solving their software problems. I don't want a reward for have being testing and helping gan, but I sincerely think that Gan doesn't care about us at all.

Oliver, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with you and this is not personal but this is not the way of doing things right.

jurrabi

Hi there. New in the forum, in the thread and in speed-solving.

First of all, excuse me if this has been answered before. I did try to search for it, but came out with nothing.

I've had a 356i for 3 months and I've been very happy with it. A very nice cube (for a noob) to start trying to get better times.
The cube felt very nice, I could do corner cuts, I didn't had much trouble with the servers (as many here seem to have) nor trouble finding opponents. Even close enough to my times at each moment, so they were entertaining.

So after some time I wanted to tighten up a little bit the cube since I felt that some times I was over-moving (if that is a thing). And since the cube came with 2 extra bags of springs I decided to try them so I can see for myself which ones felt better for me. (I know, I'm a noob, and have no idea what it is best... but let me get to the issue)

I tried to find some video or advise on how to correctly change the springs, but I couldn't find any. There are some videos about changing springs that come color coded (are they call gen?) but mine came as loose springs. One set silver and one set gold...

After fighting with the cube for a bit (no tool to change the springs provided, what's up with that?) I did find out how to remove them.

You have to remove a plastic (transparent) hexagon piece by pushing it a little and then move the plastic in the center (with a T shape) to the forbidden symbol in the plastic). Then the transparent piece comes out and the spring behind it.

It turns out that the springs in the cube are also silver and (to my hand) very similar to one of the replacement sets.
I exchanged those for the gold ones and also cleaned the insides and all the pieces (that had some dirt from 3 months of use). I then remounted the cube and lubricated it with some professional silicone lubricant that is specific for plastic moving parts.

But I found out that the cube was much much tighter than before, to the point of not being able to complete a simple turn and let the face align thanks to the magnets. The force I have to apply is greater than the magnets strength so I don't have a filling on when to stop.

Since then I have replaced back the old springs, and tested the other set, but the cube still feels very tight, as if the pieces where too tight to the center due to the springs.

If I remove the springs the cube fills very loose, but of course then the middle piece doesn't stays in place and the cube comes to pieces...

Since then I discovered that each plastic hexagon has 2 markings. I think they are 09 and 08, but can't be sure (so tinny). I have tested both but they don't make a difference. It feels a little bit looser on 08, but still too tight.

So. Anybody with a similar issue? Any ideas or recommendations? Might it be about the lubricant? Because I didn't order for the very expensive 10ml gan official lubricant (it will take forever to be delivered from China) but I have used the other one on many other cubes and it usually works fine...

Thanks for your time and again sorry if this has been previously discussed or responded.

#togetherWeWillWin

jurrabi

HI there. Just a little update on my issue. So I unmounted once more the cube, gave a good water and soap clean to each piece, lubricated each piece individually on the parts that have contact with other pieces and remounted. As I expected, same result. Tight and hard as hell.

Finally I decided to cut the spring to make them smaller. That fixed some of the tightness, but the cube still fills wrong. It isn't smooth at all, as it used to be :(

I'm so sad about having broken my Gan. It was really great to train.

Any ideas, please?

YouTube
Visit Channel
HI there. Just a little update on my issue. So I unmounted once more the cube, gave a good water and soap clean to each piece, lubricated each piece individually on the parts that have contact with other pieces and remounted. As I expected, same result. Tight and hard as hell.

Finally I decided to cut the spring to make them smaller. That fixed some of the tightness, but the cube still fills wrong. It isn't smooth at all, as it used to be :(

I'm so sad about having broken my Gan. It was really great to train.

Any ideas, please?
Try wiping out the lube and assembling it with none, see if it feels better. Then gradually apply lube in small increments, and see if it feels better. FYI, you don’t need to take apart the cube to lube it. Hope this helps.

jurrabi

Try wiping out the lube and assembling it with none, see if it feels better. Then gradually apply lube in small increments, and see if it feels better. FYI, you don’t need to take apart the cube to lube it. Hope this helps.
I did that. Exactly that. At no moment it felt right. Still hard to move.
With th springs cut, it is looser, but corner cutting is out of the question...

Thanks for your reply anyway.

jurrabi

I don’t really know, maybe you put it in wrong? Keep trying. Maybe, since one of the replacement sets looks similar to the original you accidentally swapped with that one?
Thanks for your encouragement, but I don't think so. I was very careful to put each spring in a separate bag. I'm also sure that I have mounted it wrongly, but I don't see where I could have gone wrong. Everything seems to fit nice and easy in its place.

But the difference is so big to how it felt before touching it that there is no other possible explanation.

That´s why I was asking if someone else with a 356i run into the same issues...

Again @PetrusQuber, thanks for taking the time to respond.

jurrabi

So... the weirdest thing happened with my Gan 356i. After my last post 3 days ago, I didn't touch the cube until today (I was so sad I broke it). Today I took it back and to my surprise it is smooth as ever. Still doesn't corner well, but the is not roughness when turning...
I didn't solve it, even move it. Just some time passed and seems like the springs gave up a little... I don't really know.

But I thought I'll share it here, just for if it happens to someone else some time. If nothing else works, just give the 3 days rest a try ;)

Thanks.

Joe Schmoe

Olivertam I don't have a GAN 356i yet, but I want to do some recommendations, there wasn't enough info about the cube features, only hardware and that is not what we want a "smart" cube for, the software is key. I watched all type of reviews about the app on internet and don't see any of these important features for me:

• F2L pairs stats (individually): When you are in "Data" watching Cross, F2L, OLL and PLL stats, you should be able to see stats of pairs too.
  • Global stats about specify stages of the solves: Like a switch that you change from "full" to F2L, Cross, and even combinations of these, and the stats of avg and so on will stay the same.
  • Stats of specific cases: OLL, PLL and even F2L, with time you could add more methods. For example: worst time, best time, average, consistency, tps... With this you will know exactly in which PLL/OLL you have to improve and on which you are doing excellent. Note: Many cubers use more than 1 algorithm for a specific case, if you have stats for not only the case but for each algorithm it will be great, so we can know if the are worth it.
  • Recognition time: Globally for OLL and PLL and individually for each algorithm, for PLL you had to do it for each side, 4 in total, for OLL it is not as interesting, but it can't hurt.
  • Personalized training: With the previous information (Recognition time and cases stats) you can make a personalized training, one for recognition and one for speed.
  • Algorithms ranking: Make a online ranking with records from users for OLL and PLL cases, showing the algorithm that they used for the cases and the time, you can also do a ranking for specific algorithm.
I have many ideas, but this are the more important for me. I am a Software Engineer and a old cuber too, so feel free to contact me and ask questions, I really like the idea of smart cube and if I can be of any help I will be glad.
Very poor and slow updating of the app, and as far as I know you can't export your data either.
F2L pairs - The solution you used breaks the pairs out, but the times and stats are all just under F in CFOP
Stages - Nope
Specific Cases - Nope
Recognition - Nope
Personalized training - Nope
Algorithms ranking - Nope

Very poor and slow updating of the app, and as far as I know you can't export your data either.
F2L pairs - The solution you used breaks the pairs out, but the times and stats are all just under F in CFOP
Stages - Nope
Specific Cases - Nope
Recognition - Nope
Personalized training - Nope
Algorithms ranking - Nope
Where do I see my breakdown? Just got a personal best in battle but cant see the breakdown or the scramble again etc

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

JasonHoo

Sorry if this has already been answered in one of the 21 pages of this thread, but what does the number after the ranking mean, here:
Screenshot_20200325-133707.png
In my case, at the moment, it is -110. Thanks!