• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Take the pieces out and check if the screw has loosened itself. To test this screw in to perfect tensions, measure how wide the gap is and do 100 solves. If the screw has loosened a lot you have 2 options:

1) LUBE the hardware (screws, springs and washers + center pieces). By minimizing the friction within the core the screw should stop loosening itself. Lubing the pieces will help also, but the hardware is the most important thing with this kind of problem.
2) Your hardware is ruined, buy a new set. fasttech.com used to sell C4U hardware; Replace the core, keep the screws, springs and washers. It will not only fix your problem but it will also make your cube much more durable as C4U cores are one of a kind in terms of longevity. HOWEVER if you do this make sure you screw the screws in the core STRAIGHT. It is essential for good performance.

Lunastra

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think I know what the problem with these odd Zhanchi cubes are that keeps popping. Lunastra can you please check if your Zhanchi has any washers that sits under the screw and spring assembly. I found that with my second Zhanchi (the one that works perfectly) when I stripped and lubed it I had 6 small washers that sat underneath the springs in the center cubes which I did not have in my first one (the one with the popping problems). And we all know how important washers are for equal distribution of force in these kind of situations. If your faulty cube also came without washers we might just be onto something here.

The ZhanChi came with both washers and torpedoes. I decided to take the entire assembly apart to reset the screws as well as retension the puzzle, but the problem still persists! The curious part of me wants to find the problem with the faulty cube. The lazy side of me wants to main the Fangshi I bought along side it.

I've never had a cube I had to break in, but maybe I just need to suck it up and play with the unresponsive thing for a couple hundred solves. I don't think its possible to wear down that much plastic from regular use.

Edit: On a side note, I do not think this puzzle came with one of those fancy cards. It may not mean anything, but I figured it was relevant enough to mention.

Last edited:

dk

White DIY Dayan Zhanchi Issues/Underwhelming

Hi guys, I apologise in advance if someone has posted something similar to this, I have scoured through this forum numerous times regarding this issue and I'd like to ask if anyone has any similar issues and if they have found any solutions for this?

I had bought a DIY Dayan 5 Zhanchi off an eBay seller with an extremely high rating (99%). When the cube arrived in the mail, I followed crazybadcuber's video on how to assemble the cube but left the tension a little loose because I had not ordered any Lubix or Maru Lube as of yet. I have done numerous solves continuously for the cube to 'break in', it has resulted in multiple pops (usually with numerous corner and edge pieces flying out at the same time) and what I have found is that the cube is underwhelming. I gave it to a friend to tension, all he did was put it on an extremely high tension where its at the point where it hurts my fingers to move the cube, he just said 'keep it on a high tension so it wears the internal plastic down a little bit'.

I am going to order some Lubix for my Guhong (Lubix Fusion) for later use but also the Zhanchi if I can get it into better shape.

I've also considered looking at some modifications to do to the cube and wondering for your opinion.

With my Lubix Fusion
I have gotten times sub 25 with relative ease whereas with the Zhanchi, the results are around sub 35, maybe sub 30 if I'm lucky and the cube doesn't decide to pop.

Thankyou

cubesonfire

WCA
2013MALI01
weird zhanchi problem

My main is a dayan zhanchi, but it has some weird problems.when I use it constantly,it becomes slow and pops more.but if I leave it for some days, it becomes awesome.it's verb bugging me, as in a competition it could cause a problem . Any help?
Don't move this thread, as I waited but didn't get an answer.

Jaycee

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think putting "do not move" in the thread title is kind of rude. You should've just posted again in the proper thread after a 2(?) day wait.

On topic: what the above poster said. It is a strange problem, but I'd say you just have to lube up a little more often than others.

cubesonfire

WCA
2013MALI01
Take this example
I was having a hundred solve session yesterday. I usually average 24.but as I hadn't used it for a long ( due to exams) , my average for the first 50 solves was 21.75
But after that, it seemed the cube became slower. I wasn't able to do algorithms as fast as I normally do, even though I took many breaks. Thus, my average for the last 50 solves was 26.61
Awesome means that it becomes faster and pops less than usual. In the last 50 solves, there were numerous pops.
I have only one lube, which is livon. I have lubed it as shown on YouTube, but either the zhanchi becomes sticky . And I haven't found a good video on to lube the core.
I didn't mean to be rude about the do not move thing, so I am sorry.
And few days here means around 2 to 3 days.
Thanks in advance.

And please give me solutions instead of I thought the cube did not move or other crap.
No offence intended.

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My guess is the problem is with what you are using as a lubricant. A hair product. Sure it contains silicon, but in what form? It also contains mineral oils and other stuff you generally dont want inside your cube. Just the fact that it is not used for lubricating anything should hint you that you should not lubricate with it.

Use differential oil to lube your cube. It's better not to lube the cube at all than with a bad product, especially when we are talking about a zhanchi. Try to clean the lube out.

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's weird though, I have 2 excellent Zhanchis and they never pop. If the tensions are right it should be pretty damn impossible to pop a zhanchi even if you are not accurate at all. I'd like to see how he makes a zhanchi pop so often so easily.

Datak

WCA
2010ATAK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Possibly dead cube?

Hi everyone,

I have a lubix elite and it is not as fast as it was when I first got it. Its very smooth and somewhat gummy. If I try to put any lube in it, it becomes extremely slow. I cleaned out the whole cube and it still is slow and a little gummy. Does anyone know when a cube would be considered dead?

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi everyone,

I have a lubix elite and it is not as fast as it was when I first got it. Its very smooth and somewhat gummy. If I try to put any lube in it, it becomes extremely slow. I cleaned out the whole cube and it still is slow and a little gummy. Does anyone know when a cube would be considered dead?

How many solves have you done? It's probably not dead (comparing to Antoine's guhong)

RR

I think my zhanchi is dead because it always poops.

Oh i mean pops

Last edited by a moderator: