• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Is it better to lube a cube by yourself than buying a premium cube?

porkyp10

YouTube
Visit Channel
I already have the MoYu RS3M 2020 and now I want to have it with an Angstrom cube setup. Is it better to just buy another RS3M with the premium setup or should I get all the lube used in that setup? For a comparison of price, an Angstrom RS3M 2020 costs $20, while all the lubed used in the setup (DNM-37, Gravitas, Dignitas, Lubicle Black) costs about $28 in total. Is it a better investment to have all of this lube or is it just better to buy another cube?

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Personal preference. I lube many cubes and I enjoy the experimentation process of applying lubes and testing the cube, but I also quite like Cubicle's setup and I think you can't go wrong with it. I have a friend who hates setting up cubes so he just buys premium ones. If your goal is to save money and you plan on lubing in the future or relubing the cube, then ofc buy the lubes and setup yourself.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Buying the lubes yourself obviously saves more money, but premium set ups are obviously done professionally, and if you just want to try out some lubes and are not sure if you want them, then the setups are good.
And if you don’t like setting up your own cubes, then premium setups are good

dudefaceguy

Even if you get a professional lube, it will eventually need reapplication, and you will have to do that yourself - so you might as well learn now and save money.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
Even if you get a professional lube, it will eventually need reapplication, and you will have to do that yourself - so you might as well learn now and save money.
this is why its better to just buy the setup, the lube used in a cube will eventually run out, so you would have to pay more to get lube, buying the lube yourself just saves way more money.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results

No, I usually just throw the cube away and buy a new one.

If you main the RS3M2020 then it's only ~$22 per cube, so you could probably last a year with only like $150

No, I usually just throw the cube away and buy a new one.

If you main the RS3M2020 then it's only ~$22 per cube, so you could probably last a year with only like $150
I'd probably go for the Gan 11 M Pro at $55 a month which is only $665 a year, not much more

MJS Cubing

WCA
2019SULL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would say lube your own cubes. Premium service often adds $5-$10 or even more to the cost of the cube. It's pretty easy to lube cubes yourself, and You only really need one lube, some weight of silicone lube, probably weight 4. But IMO, you should have Weight 4, Lubicle speedy, and lubicle silk. A lot of people like Mystic, but I haven't tried it. Depending on the size you buy these lubes should all cost under $15, and then every time you buy a cube you have the stuff you need to set it up instead of paying extra.

If you are unsure of how to use lubes, watch some videos. I really like this video from Jperm. I like to use weight 4 on the tracks, and either silk or speedy on the pieces. For a quick set up I just drop in some silk and call it good.
Another thing to note, is water based lubricants are dangerous. The water can cause rust on hardware if you're not careful. I recommend just staying away from things like DNM all together, and sticking with silicone based lubes.

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
The Lubest lineup is awesome for a first lube. I still use it because I have it:

MJS Cubing

WCA
2019SULL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
i have a celeritas valk 5 m, it has lasted almost a year, and i bought a shadow v1 6x6 m with the standard lubes, and neither of them have gotten dry. I would recommend silicon lubes over water based if you buy a premium cube because the water may dry up more easily. I would just get a premium cube and a bottle of dnm 37
Water will also rust your hardware. If you want fast lube, get a really light silicone lube like Lucille speedy