• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to Look Ahead in the Fridrich/ CFOP Method

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel

This is the first part of my 4 part series on how to look ahead in CFOP. I realize that this first vid, and possibly others may not be presenting original information, but no one has, to my knowledge made this inforation available in video form. Let me know if this helps you guys out.

I realize that this concept seems really simple, but very few people actually do this correctly. If you find that you do look at the pieces while you pair them up then I recommend slowing down for a while and retraining your mind to not look at them at all. Then, when you can do this at your current speed, gradually increase your speed until you can look ahead properly at you normal speed. I just tweaked my look ahead recently and it took about a week to make this transition permanent.

I find that predicting OLLs is often quicker than trying to influence then or skip them. Just my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really like your videos, make me try new things. Gonna watch part 2 now. Two things I noticed here, though:
- You consistently confuse D and D' (you say one and do the other).
- Shouldn't you have started with home grip and not regrip in the middle? Looks rather odd after watching your previous video.

applemobile

Nice video, but your cube is unsolved in the background! I couldn't possibly leave a cube unsolved, it makes me feel nauseous.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
I really like your videos, make me try new things. Gonna watch part 2 now. Two things I noticed here, though:
- You consistently confuse D and D' (you say one and do the other).
- Shouldn't you have started with home grip and not regrip in the middle? Looks rather odd after watching your previous video.

lol, I actually have a slight dyslexia with direction and time based words. I mean D' when I say D and if you ask me to read a date out loud such as 1984, you will almost certainly hear 1948, don't know why. As to my regrip, I was holding the cube in a really awkward manner with the U face practically facing me so doing things regripless was actually really uncomfortable and slow. In this case regriping actually saved me time lol.

Nice video, but your cube is unsolved in the background! I couldn't possibly leave a cube unsolved, it makes me feel nauseous.

That was me getting ready for my next vid.

foolish

Thanks for the vid. Look ahead is the part I'm worst at, gotta train it a lot.

I actually do it the other way around. I leave all my cubes unsolved, so whenever I just want to solve one I don't have to scramble first :p

Last edited:

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As to my regrip, I was holding the cube in a really awkward manner with the U face practically facing me so doing things regripless was actually really uncomfortable and slow.

Do you mean D facing you? Cause when U is facing me (and D in the back), your grip (with right thumb on D in the back) becomes *really* awkward for me.

BrainOfSweden

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you mean D facing you? Cause when U is facing me (and D in the back), your grip (with right thumb on D in the back) becomes *really* awkward for me.

Lol, now I am confused, I am pretty sure I was holding the cube such that the U face was basically my F face for most of the video, hence my constant moving of the cube to see what I am doing and the regrips to do the more awkward things.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm just talking about the cross. From home grip and with regrips in brackets, you did [R'] R D [R] R2' F when you could've just done R D R2' F.

Prepend an x' to get U to F like you say, then after the [R'] your right hand is anti-home. That can't be good.

Last edited:

DYGH.Tjen

WCA
2012TJEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome, thanks a lot jskyler, you've given me some things to think about. It completely makes sense that we should do this, but somehow I always overlook it and have the tendency to 'check' whether I've done a pair correctly. Will practise this when doing solves from now on. Thanks :) waiting for your other lookahead vids.

conn9

WCA
2012TALB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome, thanks a lot jskyler, you've given me some things to think about. It completely makes sense that we should do this, but somehow I always overlook it and have the tendency to 'check' whether I've done a pair correctly. Will practise this when doing solves from now on. Thanks :) waiting for your other lookahead vids.

I just looked at your comment, realised I was also checking if I'd completed the pair, tried to not check and lookahead, and instantly broke my ao5 and ao12... OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To think I've never done lookahead before! I guess I can thank you for posting this comment, and jskyler for giving you the idea, though I haven't even watched the videos yet. Lol

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
I just looked at your comment, realised I was also checking if I'd completed the pair, tried to not check and lookahead, and instantly broke my ao5 and ao12... OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To think I've never done lookahead before! I guess I can thank you for posting this comment, and jskyler for giving you the idea, though I haven't even watched the videos yet. Lol

No problems dude, this is a very subtle thing, but it makes a HUGE difference in you times.

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is much more difficult for me then it should be. I even have trouble not looking at the pair I am making let alone being able find all the cross pieces and the pair pieces.

For now I guess I will just try cross with corner prediction and not looking at the pair.

DYGH.Tjen

WCA
2012TJEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

My pleasure dude :D