• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to improve cube times?

babu2014

Hello, I just started today on this website, and needed some help with cubes. How long will it take me to learn intuitive F2L? Also, should I memorize some F2L algorithms? Next, I average around 57 seconds with beginner method and was wondering how to get faster? I am learning 2 look OLL and PLL and learning F2L. So far I learned 5/7 OLL and 4/7 PLL. Any tips?
Thanks!
-Babu2014

VintageAion

Twentynine Palms, California, United States
For F2L, I learned it intuitively. There are some cases you can look up to find better solutions for the problem but it is best to learn F2L just by doing it rather than Algorithms. I started off at 2 minute average with beginners method. When I learned the basics for F2L, my time went up to about 2 minutes and 45 seconds then gradually got faster. Took me about 1 month to Learn most of the PLL Algorithms and about 7 OLL Algorithms just to solve final layer and to become comfortable with F2L enough to get sub 1 minute. After that, I just figured out tricks and shortcuts to make things solve faster.

For Learning OLL/PLL and getting fast at it, it just takes alot of practice and then it becomes a natural movement when executing the movements.

For F2L, just takes practice finding the pieces you need to pair up and to put them in the correct spot.

You will find yourself practicing F2L and building the cross more than actually practicing OLL and PLL because F2L and Cross building are really the only two things that are hard about the method.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, I just started today on this website, and needed some help with cubes. How long will it take me to learn intuitive F2L?
Depends how much effort you put into learning it.
Also, should I memorize some F2L algorithms?
Not yet.
Next, I average around 57 seconds with beginner method and was wondering how to get faster? I am learning 2 look OLL and PLL and learning F2L. So far I learned 5/7 OLL and 4/7 PLL.
You just asked a question and then answered it :p Finish learning F2L and 4-look LL.

NidTheChamp

I do the cross in sub 10 seconds.
I do 2 look OLL.
I do 2 look/ 1 look PLL.
I use intuitive F2L.
And still my average is 45 seconds - 1 minute.
Please tell me how I can drop my times...

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do 2 look OLL.
I do 2 look/ 1 look PLL.
I use intuitive F2L.
Practice.

How long have you been cubing? Try memorizing moves. Figure out what the cross will be, close your eyes and do it. Then look for the first F2L pair, close your eyes and do it, etc. There will be mistakes but you will find that when you can do it with your eyes closed the motions will go faster and then you can move onto looking ahead.

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do 2 look OLL.
I do 2 look/ 1 look PLL.
I use intuitive F2L.

Huge problem. It isn't hard at ALL to do sub-10 move cross every time, and with 4 turns per second (calm turning), sub 3 second cross should be simple.

babu2014

For F2L, I learned it intuitively. There are some cases you can look up to find better solutions for the problem but it is best to learn F2L just by doing it rather than Algorithms. I started off at 2 minute average with beginners method. When I learned the basics for F2L, my time went up to about 2 minutes and 45 seconds then gradually got faster. Took me about 1 month to Learn most of the PLL Algorithms and about 7 OLL Algorithms just to solve final layer and to become comfortable with F2L enough to get sub 1 minute. After that, I just figured out tricks and shortcuts to make things solve faster.

For Learning OLL/PLL and getting fast at it, it just takes alot of practice and then it becomes a natural movement when executing the movements.

For F2L, just takes practice finding the pieces you need to pair up and to put them in the correct spot.

You will find yourself practicing F2L and building the cross more than actually practicing OLL and PLL because F2L and Cross building are really the only two things that are hard about the method.

Thanks!