• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help thread] Centre caps falling out

Hakan

WCA
2008DENI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It happens to me too sometimes. But that's just because I use the core of my first cube ever. (I glued the centre caps of my new cubes onto the old core) Anyway, if your centre caps are really starting to fall apart, make the surface of the centre cap (of the core) smooth with sandpaper. Then put a line of super glue (or any other glue thats holds) on the sides of the centre cap. Be careful though, don't get it on the cubelets (It's better to disassemble the whole cube than just disassembling 1 layer)
Good luck

Harris Chan

WCA
2007CHAN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
There always seems to be one cap out of the 6 that just NEVER stays on; i had the paper and everything but it just doesn't do anything, I have to resort to a double sided adhesive stuff. That's one of the reasons I don't like rubik DIY so much (other than that it's fine!)

sarank14

WCA
2009KUNA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
THE CENTER CAPS WOULDN'T STOP POPPING

I tried everything to get the center cap to stay on the cube. At first I put some sticky tacs but it falls off, so I went to the tissue but it didn't work tissue. Some stayed on but some kept on falling. So I went to jig-a-loo. It worked for a while and the day after that the red one came out. I heard about the superglue but I'm scared that I wouldn't be able to take the caps out later. So could you please help me I like this cube and I couldn't even cube 30 minutes continuously!!!! This thing is KILLING me.

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
NO, cut out a piece of paper a LITTLE bigger than the cap. Put it under the cap and the cap should stay in. If the paper sticks out, just cut it a little smaller.

tanapak1

WCA
2011SURI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Use The Superglue On The Leg Of Center Cap Like In The Picture[Don't Apply Too Much]

Wait For It Dry And Put It Into Center

IMG_2220.jpg

Last edited:

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yep...I guessed this was a Rubik's brand just from the description. The caps have no "leg" to speak of--there is almost nothing holding them on. The cube mocks your feeble tinkering with paper or tissue. And the cube is wobbly without the caps on, so you can't adjust it correctly--it really taunts you.

What I eventually did was tape the caps on with scotch tape, and remove it to adjust tension, re-tape, rinse, repeat. When it felt about right, I removed the tape and then super-glued them on. And then a cap fell off when I wasn't looking, glue notwithstanding, and to this day I have no idea where it fell.

Cube: 1
Teller: 0

I hate this cube so much.

Twofu2

I like this cube once you get the caps to stay on. I used this kind of clay that I got at the 99 cent store. Works awesome! And it doesn't dry out so it stays on quite well and I can adjust the tension.

nigtv

I wouldn't want to tell you to try this, it seems like a bad idea to me still for some reason, but it worked.

I had a cube, and it was old, and i didnt have any money to get a new one, or anything, totally flat broke. Plus, I liked the cube a lot. It popped off center caps so much, and I lost one forever, and almost lost all of the rest as well. I needed the centers at the time, so i superglued them on just a little bit crooked, so that a little bit was pertruding over the edge of two sides. Then I sanded those two sides down to make the cap flush. Then I took a cigarette and burned holes into the center of all the caps, pretty tiny holes (about 1/3 the diameter of the cig), and just stuck the screwdriver through there if i needed to.

I tried sticky tack too, didnt work at all. I've also wondered about a recessed hatch sort of design, a small hook and barb inside the cap, with an opening like on cd drives for manual eject.

daniel0731ex

You can take the back of a hammer, and make little nicks along the perimeter of the center cap, as to expand the center cap. You can use a blade and make cuts too.

however, the notches on the outer part of the cap should be cutted off before doing so. otherwise it would only make the pooping worse.

panyan

If you don't want to use superglue, try epoxy

thats not a good idea, epoxy melts the plastic and rebonds it so you'd have to break off the cap, probably destroying the rest of the centre piece, superglue us much weaker, but ideal for this job

Eirikr

sorry i am new here, by popping, do u mean the center peice just randomly shouts out of the cube? is this due to excessive opening of the cube?

daniel0731ex

sorry i am new here, by popping, do u mean the center peice just randomly shouts out of the cube? is this due to excessive opening of the cube?

[gentle voice] NOT EXACTLY, IT'S MOSTLY DUE TO THE FLAW OF THE DESIGN [/gentle voice]