• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Does cubing get more fun?

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Only you can answer that question.

But generally speaking: Speed does not equal fun.
For some it does, for others (like me) speed has nothing to do with fun.
In fact, focussing on speed can become very frustrating once you get stuck at a certain average for some time.

For me the fun is in learning how to solve the cube in many different ways: CFOP, ZZ, Heise, Petrus, CF, EF, NA, HTA.
I cannot be considered "good" or "fast" with any of these methods but I CAN solve the cube with them.

Still need to check out Roux, Guimond,...
And even for the methods that I do know there is still so much to learn that I am sure I'll have fun cubing for a very long time to go.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally I found it more fun when I knew full OLL. Every solve became quite interesting to see what OLL would come up. When I was using the same 9 OLL's I felt like it was getting monotonous. Now, every so often I'll see an OLL that I haven't done in a week, which keeps me on my toes :)

Moss

I never participated in competitions and I will not be able to do it any time soon due to my location but I keep doing it for fun. The faster I get, I receive more pleasure from cubing.

My friend who for example has some kind of hard character so when he doesn't solve the cube like he planned he gets very angry and sometimes even throws the cube. So everything depends on your personality.

Tyjet66

YouTube
Visit Channel
I get happier with faster times but I wouldn't say that it's more fun. The most fun part of cubing for me is doing BLD solves, it's new for me and the feeling I get after successful solves is amazing!

abctoshiro

I feel fun getting sub-15 times without learning full CMLL (it happens most of the time now, but still my average is sup-19). Of course, its fun if you have a lot of cuber friends, which I have a lot of. Sometimes, I get to compete with random persons on the road and get beaten or beat them. It's not the competition part for me, but the camaraderie and sportsmanship within.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@ the OP:
You really should hop on over to cubecastpodcast.com and listen to the episode where Stefan Huber is the guest; I think that will answer your question. Stefan is definitely an elite cuber, and he presents a very nice take on your question.

izovire

WCA
2009VROO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are a few different type of cubers that I've noticed:

1. The competitive ones - you don't necessarily have to be super fast, but to have fun competing and meeting up with other cubers
2. The collectors - These people solve mostly for fun and 'some' go to competition, and collect a lot of puzzles, and even make their own inventions.
3. Closet Cubers - These people know how to solve a cube but have little to no knowledge about speedcubing and the WCA.

In my 5 months of doing business at Puzzle Addictions I have found 10 times as many closet cubers as there are the competitive ones. There are several which I shared with them information about competing and getting faster. Now they are out of the closet and having more fun!

But yeah I think fun is relative.. imagine if you were the only person that could speed cube... there likely would not be speedsolving.com, and if there's no one that's going to beat you, what's the point? lol

Here's something to make it more fun... Try both hands, then do one hand.... and then NO HANDS!!!!

ender9994

WCA
2008GROM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It did seem to lose a bit of its excitement after a certain point. However, going along with others suggestions, I maintain my level of passion by learning new things. Might I suggest you learn 3x3 blind, or if you already know that, perhaps you should move on to 4x4 blind.

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any activity is going to be more fun if you're good at it, competitive or not. What fun is cooking if you can barely boil water? There is a distinct pleasure in the mastery of the thing, knowing subtle nuances, and the satisfaction of watching your results get better and better.

It does seem like some people hit a plateau after awhile, though...I suspect boredom comes from the lack of growth. I got bored and quit playing Poker because I just wasn't getting any better and it didn't look like I ever would. But I see some really fast cubers like Escher out there breaking fresh ground and I am encouraged that there is plenty of further depth to be had beyond sub-15.

Tyjet66

YouTube
Visit Channel
There are a few different type of cubers that I've noticed:

1. The competitive ones - you don't necessarily have to be super fast, but to have fun competing and meeting up with other cubers
2. The collectors - These people solve mostly for fun and 'some' go to competition, and collect a lot of puzzles, and even make their own inventions.
3. Closet Cubers - These people know how to solve a cube but have little to no knowledge about speedcubing and the WCA.

Then I'm #4 - I don't compete, I don't go out to collect puzzles and I don't make my own (well, Siamese, that's it.) and I do know a decent amount about speedcubing and the WCA. For reference, my puzzle collection contains 25-26 puzzles.