• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Curvy Copter Discussion(New)

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
And after I recognize there will be a X perm, what should I do? Can I also find algs in the alg sheet you gave me?
Btw, I've learned CP recognition, but I can't predict there will be a X perm. I should learn a new one, right?

Yes all the algs you need are on that sheet. If you look at the set of algs I sent earlier, just do the moves in reverse order and it will show you what the case will look like that the standard move optimal OCLL will give X Perms. Just practice recognizing those cases. When you see those cases, use the alternate algs I gave to solve it and not have X perm. Good luck

hi870169

Yes all the algs you need are on that sheet. If you look at the set of algs I sent earlier, just do the moves in reverse order and it will show you what the case will look like that the standard move optimal OCLL will give X Perms. Just practice recognizing those cases. When you see those cases, use the alternate algs I gave to solve it and not have X perm. Good luck
Thank you. I'll do my best.

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
View attachment 16535
Figured I'd post this here. Super proud of my Curvy Copter results in the Weekly Competition this week! It's my first time holding site record (for both single and average); I've been going for that for a while. Does anyone know of any faster (jumbling) solves outside of the weekly competition?
Oh wow someone finally beat my record, congrats, that single especially is insane!! I stopped practicing after the first few weeks it was in the weekly comp and I expected my records to be taken shortly after, but it took almost a year in a half. Now that there is some competition I might try getting back into it, although I'm a bit too focused on FTO at the moment to try now. IDK any faster times, I think these were my PBs but I can't say for sure because it was so long ago.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh wow someone finally beat my record, congrats, that single especially is insane!! I stopped practicing after the first few weeks it was in the weekly comp and I expected my records to be taken shortly after, but it took almost a year in a half. Now that there is some competition I might try getting back into it, although I'm a bit too focused on FTO at the moment to try now. IDK any faster times, I think these were my PBs but I can't say for sure because it was so long ago.
Thank you! You're killing it with FTO so I understand ignoring Curvy Copter for a while, haha. I'd love to see you get back into it someday and have some competition for the records. :)

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1661867846281.png

Got site record average two weeks in a row! My previous average was 1:41.24. Really happy with these results, it felt like a matter of time until I got a few good solves in a row. I haven't actually been practicing much, but I may start ramping up practice again now - sub-1:30 feels imminent at this rate. :)

Also, let's see some more Curvy Copter participation! It's such a fun event but the leaderboards are still pretty small. If you haven't been competing in it, give it a try - take my record while you're at it! Healthy competition is fun. :)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
View attachment 20566

Got site record average two weeks in a row! My previous average was 1:41.24. Really happy with these results, it felt like a matter of time until I got a few good solves in a row. I haven't actually been practicing much, but I may start ramping up practice again now - sub-1:30 feels imminent at this rate. :)

Also, let's see some more Curvy Copter participation! It's such a fun event but the leaderboards are still pretty small. If you haven't been competing in it, give it a try - take my record while you're at it! Healthy competition is fun. :)
I like solving Curvy Copter, it just feels like scrambling it takes about 10 minutes each time. I guess I should work on a CurvyCopterScramblerBot, but honestly it's a low priority right now.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
View attachment 20566

Woah dope stuff.

All the best for pushing sub-1:30 man!

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like solving Curvy Copter, it just feels like scrambling it takes about 10 minutes each time. I guess I should work on a CurvyCopterScramblerBot, but honestly it's a low priority right now.
Fair, scrambling definitely improves with practice though. If you want to get faster at it, I'd recommend working on your intuitive understanding of the jumbling moves - instead of looking at all five moves one at a time, I basically treat them like a single move.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
If you want to get faster at it, I'd recommend working on your intuitive understanding of the jumbling moves - instead of looking at all five moves one at a time, I basically treat them like a single move.
I already do that, it's just a lot of moves total and the shape-shifting moves trip me up sometimes.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think scrambling it takes me about 3 minutes, not 10. But I could see how that 3 minutes can feel like 10 minutes. It doesn't help that it physically hurts my hands to turn it. :) Ah, to have one that turns nicely.

I think a stock FTO hurts more than a curvy copter, though. :)
The white plastic LanLan ones are smoother turning than the black ones. I took one apart and put the black outer caps on white internals and it is very smooth to turn and fingertrick

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
The white plastic LanLan ones are smoother turning than the black ones. I took one apart and put the black outer caps on white internals and it is very smooth to turn and fingertrick
At least for 3x3 we're (hopefully) past the stage where different colored plastic feels different

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Whoa, I'd be curious to try this. My black LanLan is alright after a lot of breaking in and some lubing, but it definitely gets lockups pretty often.

sub-1:30 feels imminent at this rate
And on another note, sub-1:30 shockingly happened way earlier than I expected! I have an 89-solve session in csTimer from the past week after not doing any serious practice for months so it's very satisfying to see the practice pay off. :)

1662426107279.png

Technically it's on video but it's very low quality and mostly out of frame. Click here if you're interested anyway!

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Whoa, I'd be curious to try this. My black LanLan is alright after a lot of breaking in and some lubing, but it definitely gets lockups pretty often.

And on another note, sub-1:30 shockingly happened way earlier than I expected! I have an 89-solve session in csTimer from the past week after not doing any serious practice for months so it's very satisfying to see the practice pay off. :)

View attachment 20629

Technically it's on video but it's very low quality and mostly out of frame. Click here if you're interested anyway!
Do you think you'd ever be interested in learning the 1-Look L4C algs?
I've got a very WIP sheet I haven't been motivated to work on in a long time. If you were interested, I could start working on it again.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you think you'd ever be interested in learning the 1-Look L4C algs?
I've got a very WIP sheet I haven't been motivated to work on in a long time. If you were interested, I could start working on it again.

Thanks for offering! I currently do 1-look L3C (except for ~2 cases), and since it's usually pretty easy to force at least one corner to be solved, L4C algs would only come in handy for me on occasion. That said I'd definitely be curious to see what you've got! I'm sure there are some efficient/useful cases in there that I should learn.

For reference, my current LL method goes like this:
1. Solve inner centers (mostly intuitively, but with a couple basic algs for cases that require jumbling).
2. Orient edges using (UR+ FL+ UF FL- UR-) (UL+ FR+ UF FR- UL-) UF. While doing this step, I try to solve as many corners as possible. Often I can solve all of them, or end up with 2 corners twisted.
3. Solve L4C - most frequently by orienting 2 or 3 corners, sometimes with an L3C alg, and occasionally with an L4C case (where I try to reduce it to an L3C case with one alg).

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright, you all know I'm not "new" here but I have a problem with getting my curvy copter I got yesterday solved. I need to get 1 center solved but none of the pieces are in the right path for solving it. Basically it's the blue Fdl center and all the others are at Fur, Fdr, and Ufr. I've checked many times which ones work and also rescrambled, looked at many tutorials and looked for the right alg online but the information is... lacking. The center just won't solve and it looks like I need a jumbling alg even though I scrambled it without jumbling. Here's a picture (with the center I want to solve highlighted) if you need help:2DEED885-00E2-445B-B95A-E7C43CB00111.jpeg

If anyone could provide some help I would be very grateful. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 1

unirox13

Alright, you all know I'm not "new" here but I have a problem with getting my curvy copter I got yesterday solved. I need to get 1 center solved but none of the pieces are in the right path for solving it. Basically it's the blue Fdl center and all the others are at Fur, Fdr, and Ufr. I've checked many times which ones work and also rescrambled, looked at many tutorials and looked for the right alg online but the information is... lacking. The center just won't solve and it looks like I need a jumbling alg even though I scrambled it without jumbling. Here's a picture (with the center I want to solve highlighted) if you need help:View attachment 21521

If anyone could provide some help I would be very grateful. Thanks!

From my POV either you don't quite get what the jumble moves are and made a few of them during the scramble, or you've got a friend/family member who got their hands on the puzzle and did them for you. Just because the puzzle remained in cube shape during the scramble doesn't mean that no jumble moves were made. If you turn two edges, UR and FL for example, to their first clockwise jumbling position and then do a full 180° turn of the UF edge you can easily undo those first two edge moves and still have a perfectly cubic puzzle. However, doing that sequence will have taken two center pieces out of their original orbits. The two remaining blue center triangle pieces are in the same orbit. There's no way to move either of them into another orbit, which is what you need to do, without doing a single jumble.