• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Curvy Copter Discussion(New)

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks lol. It’s the UF edge that I’m referring to. All the other sides are solved. Usually what I do is swap the UFL and UFR center triangles, solve the UF edge, and then have to resolve a side or two which is pretty slow/bad, but I haven’t figured out any better solutions or seen any online yet.
the black and blue edge? it looks solved to me. can you draw a circle on the picture or something lol

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel

ohh it's the case where two centers are in each other's orbits. yeah I don't have a good method for solving it other than trying to exchange with a buffer piece.
This alg I made up does one edge flip, preserving triangle centers and rotating corners: [FL+ UR+ : UF] [FR- UL- : UF] UF

I usually do UL UR JUB+ UL UF UB UR UB. I'm guessing you want something that doesn't flip edges, I just always do edges after triangles and permute corners while I flip edges.
what is JUB+?

I usually fix edges after getting all triangle centers into their correct orbits.

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Welp, I'm pretty sure I overmodded my CC into being essentially useless for speedsolving, so that's unfortunate.

I might make a video showing off the pieces and what it looks like if anyone is interested in seeing it. I can still solve on it though, so I'll probably use the time between ordering the new CCs and their arrival to learn how to solve with jumbling and improve my solve efficiency!

I plan on making a video on trying to mod my curvy copter. Idk how you can overmod it but I hope I don't.

OreKehStrah

I plan on making a video on trying to mod my curvy copter. Idk how you can overmod it but I hope I don't.
Here’s my advice from a few different tests and observations:

1. Don’t Florian mod the centermost part of the triangles, at least not too much. Otherwise the corners will try to move into the newly formed space and catch.

2. 100% Do NOT mod the edge pieces. That was the main thing that caused issues with my original modded CC.

3. After testing and checking, I found the main thing that causes catching is the corners and the two points of each center triangle that surround a corner. I’m planning on doing more modding tests soon. Idk if it would be better to round off the corners or the centers. I think only one should be modded. If I were to guess, I would say it’s better to mod the corners
Edit: I hope I don’t come off as a know it all or something, I just figured I would put my recommendation out after essentially wasting several hours on my first one

Reactions: qwr

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Here’s my advice from a few different tests and observations:

1. Don’t Florian mod the centermost part of the triangles, at least not too much. Otherwise the corners will try to move into the newly formed space and catch.

2. 100% Do NOT mod the edge pieces. That was the main thing that caused issues with my original modded CC.

3. After testing and checking, I found the main thing that causes catching is the corners and the two points of each center triangle that surround a corner. I’m planning on doing more modding tests soon. Idk if it would be better to round off the corners or the centers. I think only one should be modded. If I were to guess, I would say it’s better to mod the corners
Edit: I hope I don’t come off as a know it all or something, I just figured I would put my recommendation out after essentially wasting several hours on my first one

ok I really have to ask you for your terminology. I was planning on modding the center edges (the ones with orbits) of the triangles but how will the corners move into it? the corners are opposite of the triangles. edit basically I want to mod all 3 corners of the centers.

Last edited:

OreKehStrah

ok I really have to ask you for your terminology. I was planning on modding the center edges (the ones with orbits) of the triangles but how will the corners move into it? the corners are opposite of the triangles. edit basically I want to mod all 3 corners of the centers.
4A6ED4BE-FC62-4FBE-B1B9-E6FC30DD4919.jpegHere you can see an stock vs overmodded center triangle. You don’t want to mod the pointed part like I did. If you do, it will create a large florian hole at the center of each side. This is where the corner catches. When you turn an edge 90 degrees, the corner will try to slide into that gap.AA8C3856-29A2-4D19-96B9-8F8197DEDD5C.jpeg
this is the position where the corner will slide into the Florian holes.
As for the part of the edge that is connected to the core, I really recommend leaving that piece alone. The puzzle was fine when I modded just the petals/center triangles, but when I modded the parts of the edge that are screwed to the core, I started to run into stability issues where you couldn’t turn it without it popping

OreKehStrah

what gap? I dont see how the corner is sliding into any gap
EC16C8CB-BDD1-4717-9EC3-D403B42200CC.jpegThis was before I modded the edge pieces connected to the core, and you can still see a fairly large hole at the center of the side that isn’t there on a stock puzzle.

OreKehStrah

so when you turn 90 degrees the corner goes into the center gap? doesn't the edge stop it?
Nope! You would think so, but it still slips into the gap enough to cause a lot of catches and lockups.

Also, I just finished setting up a new curvy copter for speedsolving and I just got a non-jumbling pb Ao5 of 53.12 so that's cool

OreKehStrah

I've been playing around with different ways to handle the final permutation of center petals of the top and sides before solving the corners when the cube is jumbled, and I might have found an approach to help avoid the bad cases that can come up when just solving a side at a time. I'll need to do some tests to see if it's any faster than just doing a solve what you see approach.

Also I started learning whatever you want to call the set of algs that solves the corners in one alg ( CC 1LLL/COLL/ZBLL for CC not really sure what to call it lol).

Also, how many people still keep up with this thread/speedsolve CC anymore? It seems like most people have kinda quit, likely in favor of FTO.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, how many people still keep up with this thread/speedsolve CC anymore? It seems like most people have kinda quit, likely in favor of FTO.
I don't know if there was ever much of a speedsolving scene. To me it always seemed like FTO was much larger. I've personally never learned speed solving algorithms and I always solve intuitively which can sometimes take me up to 15 minutes for orbit swapping.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never got into the CC speedsolving, although I was intrigued. But yes, now I'm on FTO.
Don't get me wrong, CC is a very cool puzzle (and is better than 7x7) but FTO is cooler. :p

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04

I get frustrated with hardware and scramble length, so I don't solve CC as much as I would like to. I should be getting a shipment from thecubicle today or tomorrow, that has contact paper to make it easier to resticker my CC and also an FTO in it.