• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Cubing Critiques and Help

Prahaas123

I use CFOP and average around 42 seconds.
my averages are Cross: 9 seconds, F2L: 20 seconds, OLL(2-look): 7 seconds and PLL(1-look): 8 seconds.

Please someone help me get to at least sub-20.

[Also, someone please tell me a good magnetic cube under $10]

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
Can I join? I average 10 on 3x3 and can give some advice on other events as well.

Also, can SM Cubing help me get sub 20 on OH? I average about 24

My main other events are Pyraminx and Skewb, on which I average 3.5 and 5 respectively, so PetrusQuber might want to add that.

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
N/A
I use CFOP and average around 42 seconds.
my averages are Cross: 9 seconds, F2L: 20 seconds, OLL(2-look): 7 seconds and PLL(1-look): 8 seconds.

Please someone help me get to at least sub-20.

[Also, someone please tell me a good magnetic cube under $10]
I hear the Yuxin Little Magic M is good. Also, you should really work on your LL. A single alg shouldn't take you 8 seconds. I can do some of mine in less than 2. So drill the algs/get better ones/drill algs more. Work on inspecting the whole cross, and practise F2L a LOT, like know all the cases, make sure they're
stuck in your mind and muscle memory. Once thats complete, train your lookahead-while executing the alg for a pair, look for the next one.

Prahaas123

I hear the Yuxin Little Magic M is good. Also, you should really work on your LL. A single alg shouldn't take you 8 seconds. I can do some of mine in less than 2. So drill the algs/get better ones/drill algs more. Work on inspecting the whole cross, and practise F2L a LOT, like know all the cases, make sure they're
stuck in your mind and muscle memory. Once thats complete, train your lookahead-while executing the alg for a pair, look for the next one.
Ok thanks. And also, how fast should I be able to do F2L before I start lookahead?

Skittleskp

WCA
2019PATE10
YouTube
KP Perm click link /
last layer isn't just algs... recognition is key and one of the most time consuming parts

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
Can anyone link me to a good F2L alg website? Preferably easy to see what algs are the best, and only 1/2 algs for each case. My F2L solutions are really really inefficient, and I probably should start learning the 41 basic cases or whatever it is...
I would recommend not learning them as algorithms but from Lazermonkey's video "All F2L algorithms explained intuitively".
Algs aren't always best for F2L.

Atomixcc

Petresquber thank you for making this thread. I have had a look into roux and would like to learn it. Take in mind I know almost nothing about cubing and can only do the beginners method. I'm a nub

Atomixcc

can some one do a couple of step by step beginner roux solves and explain what each step does? i have been spending all my spare time watching vids like some from Kian Mansour but i just can't be bothered watching the vids especially because i very rarely get screen time.
thank you in advance

BlastKracken7

YouTube
BlastKracken7
if I could help that could be great. I am almost sub 20 for average of 5. basically all my solves are 20s.
will post an example solve in a bit. I use CFOP (for now)

Edit 1: here is the example solve:
Scramble: L2 R U2 L' B2 L' B2 R2 U2 B2 F' U F' U' R' B' R2 D R F'
D R' U2 F D2 R' L //cross
y' U R U R' U' L' U L //F2L 1
U2 R U R' //F2L 2
y2 L' U L U R U R' U R U' R' //F2l 3
y' R U2 R' y' R' U2 R U2 y2 L' U' L U y' R U' R' y L' U L //VHLS
l U' R' D R U R' D' x //OLL
U R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' //PLL

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
N/A
can some one do a couple of step by step beginner roux solves and explain what each step does? i have been spending all my spare time watching vids like some from Kian Mansour but i just can't be bothered watching the vids especially because i very rarely get screen time.
thank you in advance
Try pming a rouxer for help. People won’t check this thread every day, so it’s best to alert them. I can’t cos I dunno how to do Roux‘s LSE and the ‘proper block building technique.

GenTheThief

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
channel/UCXxvOAAJVVoR7UfjeAv_bjA
I feel like doing a couple of example solves (credentials: 11 ZZ 2H and 15 OH ZZ). I don't particularly want to be registered on the list, I might pop in and see whats up though.

U' F U2 B D2 R2 D2 R2 F R2 B' L2 F' D' R U L D U L'

x2 // Inspection
L' U Lw U Lw' D' // EOLine
U R' U2 R' U' R U' R // RF
L' D' L U' L' U L U L' U' D L' U L // L
R U2 R' U' R // RB
U2 R' F' R U2 R U2 R' F U' R U' R' // COLL
U M2' U M U2 M' U M2' U // EPLL

55 STM
Good solve; LL dragged the movecount up a bit, but they're good cases they wouldn't be significantly slower

R' U2 B L F' R B U2 F2 R2 U B2 R2 D R2 L2 U2 R2 U' R F2

x' z // Inspection
U' R z' F' D' x' R D' (Rw x') D' // EOArrow + Two Bad Orange Pairs
U' R' U' R' z U' R' U2 D' R2 U' z' // L
U2 R' U R U' R' U2' R' U' R U2 R // R
R' U' R U' R' U R U' R' U2' R U' // ZBLL

42 HTM
Also a good solve; The F2L worked out really nicely and you can't complain about getting 2GLLs

Also, while I totally understand the point of this thread, I think it's more effective to have more specialized attention given in the established, method-specific threads.

Last edited:

RyanP12

WCA
2019PUSH02
I’ll help. I’m sub 16 with CFOP, sub 21 with Roux, and I can do ZZ pretty efficiently, but because of my terrible EO with time constraint of inspection, sub 35 with ZZ.