• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Colour Neutrality Discussion

Hammer

I don't average sub 10. My pb is 16.22 and I average 20-25 seconds on my Zhanchi which broke.

WCA
2013BARK01
1. Assume you are not color neutral.
2. You can only be color neutral with a cube.
3. You don't have a cube.
4. If you were color neutral, you would have a cube.
5. If you had a cube, you would be color neutral.
6. Since you had a cube, you are color neutral.
7. But you aren't color neutral, so this is a contradiction!
8. You are color neutral.

Karl Ferber

Hello!

This is a place where color neutral solvers can come together and discuss pros, cons, if color neutrality is worth it and PB solves with color neutrality. I myself am not fully color neutral, solving only on white, green, red, blue and orange. I hope we can have some fun!

stormtrooper

WCA
2019POTO01
I am not color neutral, however I am beyond sub 25. I only solve on white and yellow cross. Color neutrality isn't that bad, but it is really hard. I do not use color neutrality since I never learned it. There are fast cubers that don't use color neutrality at all such as Lucas Etter, he uses CFOP and he used to have world record. You can be beyond sub 25 without color neutrality.

Sue Doenim

Is it worth learning it and how do you do it?

if your wondering, I'm sub 25
The general consensus on it is that it is good to know, especially when you get really fast, but not necessary. I would recommend switching. The sooner you switch, the easier it is. I think that the best way to learn it is to choose one color, then solve only on that color for a few days, and keep doing that until you are comfortable with all colors.

WCA
2017PRAM03
is colour neutral really worthy ?

5. (10.80) D U2 L F2 R B2 R2 D2 R' B2 F2 D2 U' L2 R2 B U2 L D F

z y // inspection
F U' R' U' F R' // cross
y' U' R' U R U' R' U R // 1st pair
y' U' R' U2 R U R' U' R // 2nd pair
y' U' R U' R' y U R U' R' // 3rd pair
y' R U R' // 4th pair
U r U r' R U R' U' r U' r' // OLL
R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' // PLL
U' // AUF

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
is colour neutral really worthy ?

5. (10.80) D U2 L F2 R B2 R2 D2 R' B2 F2 D2 U' L2 R2 B U2 L D F

z y // inspection
F U' R' U' F R' // cross
y' U' R' U R U' R' U R // 1st pair
y' U' R' U2 R U R' U' R // 2nd pair
y' U' R U' R' y U R U' R' // 3rd pair
y' R U R' // 4th pair
U r U r' R U R' U' r U' r' // OLL
R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' // PLL
U' // AUF

CN is objectively better, and if you're willing, then put in the work to become CN. And why the reconstruction?

indianman27

WCA
2016VAID02
Hello everyone!! Since the past few days, I feel I should be colour neutral. As of now, I am a green cross solver and rarely do any colour other than green. I am currently averaging 11-12 seconds:
1.)Is it worth for me to be colour neutral or should I learn full oll first?
2.) How should I approach colour neutrality? Should I do a large number of solves on each colour one by one or use inspection and then solve?

MarkA64

Full OLL is a big jump so yes that should be first.

For color neutrality I would do both deliberate practice and just solves where you pick whichever color has blocks already.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
BECOME COLOR NEUTRAL RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Being color neutral makes you get 6 times more lucky scrambles and 6 times less unlucky scrambles, it will also get WAY harder to become color neutral as you progress and do more solves.

just do a bunch of solves with all the colors at the same time just picking the easiest and you should become color neutral after 5000-10000 solves or so.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
since you're an only green cross solver, I would recommend starting with blue cross. Since blue is opposite from green it shouldn't be too hard to learn because all the color patterns are pretty similar. As for the last four colors, you can approach it one at a time, or do whichever is easiest. The approach I'm trying is doing an ao50 with red/ orange and an ao50 with green/blue (those are the four colors I'm not comfortable solving on yet.) I don't think there's any reason you couldn't learn full oll while you're learning to become color neutral so I would just learn both at the same time. Just make sure to stay motivated to become color neutral and have a reason to do it. My main reason to become color neutral is there will be more easy scrambles so I can see the first f2l pair in inspection or even influence it. But the longer you wait to become color neutral, the harder it's going to get, so I would highly recommend becoming color neutral now.

slowhandzboi

ive been dual cn when i was sub 15 then i started practicing on full cn after about practicing cn on 3 days i tried solving on white/yellow i always get 16,17 is it normal that people slowdown if they practice color neutrality? and if yes can you give me tips on becoming cn faster

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
It’s always normal to become slower at first when you learn new things. I’m sure you remember when learning F2L, your times would increase until you got used to it ;). Not many tips though :/

When I practice algorithms and stuff, I just pick a random side. I would always learn and practice PLL algorithms on yellow, so it was confusing for me at first and I would always start with the white cross, but I started just practicing algorithms on other sides and it made a huge difference.