• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Iwannaganx

I wanted to buy a new 3x3, and I have decided on a Gan 356X. (I will make a new speedsolving account and call it 'ihaveaganx') I wanted to go to speedcube.com.au, the physical shop, about half an hour away from my house. But then my NON-CUBER mother told me I should save my money and when I go to a comp (Altona algorithms 2019) I could buy cubes there. I told her most people only sell cubes for themselves at comps, but she is convinced there will be some sort of stall or something. Is this true? Or is it worth going and buying cubes from an actual cube shop?

Also, she said I should listen to her, because she has more "experience". I'm asking here because I think almost everyone here has more experience than her. Thanks!

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I wanted to buy a new 3x3, and I have decided on a Gan 356X. (I will make a new speedsolving account and call it 'ihaveaganx') I wanted to go to speedcube.com.au, the physical shop, about half an hour away from my house. But then my NON-CUBER mother told me I should save my money and when I go to a comp (Altona algorithms 2019) I could buy cubes there. I told her most people only sell cubes for themselves at comps, but she is convinced there will be some sort of stall or something. Is this true? Or is it worth going and buying cubes from an actual cube shop?

Also, she said I should listen to her, because she has more "experience". I'm asking here because I think almost everyone here has more experience than her. Thanks!
So there are two things;
1. For the most part (she is corect) in that it is a good idea to listen to your elder folks, since they are more wise in there decisions (just a quick life lesson).
2. You are right in that most people only sell cubes that they are trying to get rid of. Unless there is a tab on the competition page stating that there will be a cube vendor there (which I do not see) then it will be safe to assume that the only cubes there will be what ever people are selling themselves.

Iwannaganx

So there are two things;
1. For the most part (she is corect) in that it is a good idea to listen to your elder folks, since they are more wise in there decisions (just a quick life lesson).
2. You are right in that most people only sell cubes that they are trying to get rid of. Unless there is a tab on the competition page stating that there will be a cube vendor there (which I do not see) then it will be safe to assume that the only cubes there will be what ever people are selling themselves.
To your first point: yes, I do understand that generally, she has more world knowledge and experience than I do. But when it comes to cubing, she knows absolutely nothing. For some context, when I wanted to buy my first 3x3, she told me I didn't need to and it wouldn't be as good as the Rubik's brand, as Rubik's are the "real ones" (which is true but you know what I mean.)

To your second point: ok good to know, but where would this tab showing a cube vendor show up? Just checking for future reference.

xyzzy

I will make a new speedsolving account and call it 'ihaveaganx'
You can change your username (once) if you become a premium member! But what if there's a new cube out there that you want to get? Do you want to change your username again? Pick a username that'll last, regardless of whether you're upgrading to a premium account or creating a new one.

Also, second-hand cubes will likely be sold cheaper than retail prices. If you can get one at the comp, go for it. It might or might not come with all of the extra nuts/magnets, depending on the seller.

Also also, why do you want a Gan 356 X anyway? That cube is so expensive, and it's not even universally liked.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel

I think you should hold off on that purchase for now, go to the comp, and prove your mom that you can’t find a legit, perfect, lubed Gan 356 X at a competition. Also, why would you want to sell your Gan X??? It’s a good cube.

Iwannaganx

You can change your username (once) if you become a premium member! But what if there's a new cube out there that you want to get? Do you want to change your username again? Pick a username that'll last, regardless of whether you're upgrading to a premium account or creating a new one.

Also, second-hand cubes will likely be sold cheaper than retail prices. If you can get one at the comp, go for it. It might or might not come with all of the extra nuts/magnets, depending on the seller.

Also also, why do you want a Gan 356 X anyway? That cube is so expensive, and it's not even universally liked.
I talked to pjk and he said that changing your name only lasts while you pay and i don't have that money. Yeah, I know it might be cheaper, but it might not be there at all.
I think you should hold off on that purchase for now, go to the comp, and prove your mom that you can’t find a legit, perfect, lubed Gan 356 X at a competition. Also, why would you want to sell your Gan X??? It’s a good cube.
It may be that your mother is stalling to give you time to decide if the GAN 356X is what you really want.

She may also think, because you are 13 and 13-year-olds can be capricious, that you will grow out of this current fascination and that an expensive puzzle like the GAN 356 X will end up gathering dust on a shelf. You do have a habit of changing your mind when it comes to what puzzles you want to buy and you mother probably wants to avoid wasting time and money on something that you later decide is not the be-all and end-all of the cubing hobby for you.

There is also the issue that, in many cases, the achievement of an ultimate goal in a hobby, as in the acquisition of a 'Holy-Grail' item, can mark a downturn in interest in said hobby and even its end for many children and a good number of adults.

That's just me spitballin' though...
Both great points. Dr lube I understand where you are coming from, and i might reconsider my choice to buy a gan x from what you just said. Petrus quber, I'll do that, and then buy a cube afterwards based on my choice on the gan X.

GAN 356 X

It may be that your mother is stalling to give you time to decide if the GAN 356X is what you really want.

She may also think, because you are 13 and 13-year-olds can be capricious, that you will grow out of this current fascination and that an expensive puzzle like the GAN 356 X will end up gathering dust on a shelf. You do have a habit of changing your mind when it comes to what puzzles you want to buy and you mother probably wants to avoid wasting time and money on something that you later decide is not the be-all and end-all of the cubing hobby for you.

There is also the issue that, in many cases, the achievement of an ultimate goal in a hobby, as in the acquisition of a 'Holy-Grail' item, can mark a downturn in interest in said hobby and even its end for many children and a good number of adults.

That's just me spitballin' though...
My mums approach is that I should buy flagships straight up so I won't have to buy multiple going through budget cubes lol :D

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly, noob cubers shouldn't buy 60 dollar cubes. Noob cubers include myself. :)
But they all do anyway :p
My problem with beginners buying the Gan 356 X is that by the time they get to a level where hardware actually matters, the Gan X (And other current flagships) will be mostly obsolete because of future hardware jumps. They will have wasted 60 dollars instead of spending 10 on a reasonably OK cube and waiting for even better cubes to release.

My recommendation to Iwannaganx is to find someone who has the Gan X at this competition that you are going to, try it, and after that, decide if you think it is worth it.

GAN 356 X

But they all do anyway :p
My problem with beginners buying the Gan 356 X is that by the time they get to a level where hardware actually matters, the Gan X (And other current flagships) will be mostly obsolete because of future hardware jumps. They will have wasted 60 dollars instead of spending 10 on a reasonably OK cube and waiting for even better cubes to release.

My recommendation to Iwannaganx is to find someone who has the Gan X at this competition that you are going to, try it, and after that, decide if you think it is worth it.
He has tried my Gan X multiple times, as we both go to the same school and are friends.

Iwannaganx

He has tried my Gan X multiple times, as we both go to the same
OK Thanks :)
school and are friends.
Yeah I tried it at school and loved the "crunchy" feel. I was thinking of going for the 354 to get that feel for a better price, but (and this just comes from YouTube) the edges are smaller than the corners and I really wanted to have the numerical IPG.

To everyone saying "noob cubers" shouldn't get a flagship cube, I totally understand. But I really do want a gan x, not really to make my times better, but for me to have a better solving experience.

PS: anybody with a better idea for a cube that I should buy, list them below. I have enough for a gan x so price isn't really an issue. My criteria: fairly easy to set up, good corner cutting (should be pretty easy with most cubes), and preferably quiet.
Thanks!

Artemissimo

YouTube
Visit Channel

in some competitons there are stalls, like at Munich Open, where I 'm going to soon, there will be a Cubikon stall.
in general you can go to the WCA site and see if zour comp will have a stall.

YouTube
Visit Channel
anybody with a better idea for a cube that I should buy, list them below. I have enough for a gan x so price isn't really an issue. My criteria: fairly easy to set up, good corner cutting (should be pretty easy with most cubes), and preferably quiet.
Thanks!
Wrm is great, but can be tricky to set up
Huanglong M is really tight OOTB, but after loosening is very good
Valk M is not the best, but almost everybody likes it so you can’t go wrong with it
Tengyun is great, but you must switch the springs
MF3RS2M can be very good, and is really easy to set up
Edit: I can’t do any direct comparisons with the Tengyun, because I lost it at my last comp:(