• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Do you guys have ay tips on the memorisation of algorithms?
Thanks

What method do you use, what level are you at, what algs do you already know, which ones are you wanting to learn, and what aspect(s) are you finding difficult to memorize?

You can repeat a new alg over and over to develop muscle memory similar to practicing scales on an instrument. With practice you'll also start to read and think about algs in "chunks" like reading small words rather than individual letters and I've found that makes the mental memorization easier. But your superpowers are in muscle memory, brain memory is slow.

What method do you use, what level are you at, what algs do you already know, which ones are you wanting to learn, and what aspect(s) are you finding difficult to memorize?

You can repeat a new alg over and over to develop muscle memory similar to practicing scales on an instrument. With practice you'll also start to read and think about algs in "chunks" like reading small words rather than individual letters and I've found that makes the mental memorization easier. But your superpowers are in muscle memory, brain memory is slow.

I was learning the last algs of PLL and was looking forward to 2-look.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
All I can say is practice, unless there's something specific for you that needs work. I'm working to finish full OLL and I recently found drilling last slot, last layer (LSLL) scrambles is great for seeing more LL cases in a session.

I'm trying to transition from the beginner method to CFOP and I'm very confused by the last two steps and ways to learn algs. Can someone give me a full explanation of what they are and ways to learn algs? I have my first competition in March and I want to try to learn CFOP before then. I average about 1:05 with the beginner method. Thanks!

RedJack22

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm trying to transition from the beginner method to CFOP and I'm very confused by the last two steps and ways to learn algs. Can someone give me a full explanation of what they are and ways to learn algs? I have my first competition in March and I want to try to learn CFOP before then. I average about 1:05 with the beginner method. Thanks!

Okay, so OLL is the step where you get all of your top center color on top. For instance, say you have yellow on top: By funding the certain OLL algorithm that matches all the yellow stickers in the top layer, you will be able to get all the yellow stickers facing up. There are 57 Full-OLL algorithms, however I suggest you learn 2-look OLL first, as you only need to know less than ten algorithms.

PLL is the process of taking those pieces that are yellow on top and swapping them (being certain edges for other edges, and/or certain corners for other corners). These are recognized by color patterns, and OLL cases are recognized by strictly seeing where all the yellow stickers are placed. There are 21 PLL cases, and each is named after a letter of the alphabet.

Let me know if you need that to be better explained :)

The best way to learn those both PLL and OLL algorithms is to look for certain triggers. You might of seen the letters R U R' U' before. That is a very common trigger, and people call it the sexy move, or just sexy. Another popular one is called a sledgehammer (or sledge), and in letters it looks like R' F R F'. One great example of an OLL case that uses both is this OLL case. As you can see, it is shaped like a T, and it has two edges and two corners facing the sides. The way you solve it is by doing R U R' U' (or sexy), then R' F R F' (or sledgehammer), and by knowing the names of the triggers, you can abbreviate it as "sexy-sledge!"

Another way to learn algorithms is to remember this: A lot of OLL and PLL cases take out an F2L pair, and put it back in a different way. If you follow the pair, you will be able to connect the F2L movement with the case, and execute it (if that makes sense).

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Okay, so OLL is the step where you get all of your top center color on top. For instance, say you have yellow on top: By funding the certain OLL algorithm that matches all the yellow stickers in the top layer, you will be able to get all the yellow stickers facing up. There are 57 Full-OLL algorithms, however I suggest you learn 2-look OLL first, as you only need to know less than ten algorithms.

PLL is the process of taking those pieces that are yellow on top and swapping them (being certain edges for other edges, and/or certain corners for other corners). These are recognized by color patterns, and OLL cases are recognized by strictly seeing where all the yellow stickers are placed. There are 21 PLL cases, and each is named after a letter of the alphabet.

Let me know if you need that to be better explained :)

The best way to learn those both PLL and OLL algorithms is to look for certain triggers. You might of seen the letters R U R' U' before. That is a very common trigger, and people call it the sexy move, or just sexy. Another popular one is called a sledgehammer (or sledge), and in letters it looks like R' F R F'. One great example of an OLL case that uses both is this OLL case. As you can see, it is shaped like a T, and it has two edges and two corners facing the sides. The way you solve it is by doing R U R' U' (or sexy), then R' F R F' (or sledgehammer), and by knowing the names of the triggers, you can abbreviate it as "sexy-sledge!"

Another way to learn algorithms is to remember this: A lot of OLL and PLL cases take out an F2L pair, and put it back in a different way. If you follow the pair, you will be able to connect the F2L movement with the case, and execute it (if that makes sense).

Let me know if you have anymore questions!
Thank you! That explained it very well. Do you know any videos or websites that have all the algs and pictures for the corresponding cases?

How do i memorize more algorithms without forgetting other algorithms?
I learn algorithms REALLY quick so sometimes after i learn an algorithm i forget another one. hmm.

Hazel

Premium Member
How do i memorize more algorithms without forgetting other algorithms?
I learn algorithms REALLY quick so sometimes after i learn an algorithm i forget another one. hmm.

When you're learning an alg, don't just learn it until you can do it without looking at the actual alg, practice it until you're comfortable recognizing the case and doing the alg without having to think about it.

M O

WCA
2017KLOS01
I am really having trouble with learning G Perms, does someone have any tips for me on learning them and which G Perms to use? PS I know all other PLLS

notme

Do you have a good technique for learning algorithms?
Personally I have a terrible memory and favor intuitive or muscle memory.
But I see there's no avoiding having to memorize a lot of algos!