• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Played alot with my cube today... I'm now at a 47.55 avg (10 out of 12)(with the same method I used before) and a new personal best of 36 secs ( with a two look last layer instead of 4 look) ... now I dont know if I should stick to fridrich or keep learning roux :S Is it that hard to get sub 20 with roux? Because I can see myself geting sub 20 with fridrich if I learn all the algs and pratice looking ahead more.

edit: new lucky solve: 33 sec

I'll tell you right now, you can probably get sub 20 with Fridrich in half the time you could with Roux, HOWEVER; to do so you will have to memorize over 50 algs for OLL, and 21 for PLL, AND THEN if you want to learn the fancy F2l algs you're going to need to learn those on top of all of that, what a snooze fest! I could easily have been even sub 16 by now if I went for Fridrich, but it bores me to intense disliking of cubing. If I didn't learn Petrus, I wouldn't be cubing right now.

Also;
I feel like blockbuilding gives you more of a real understanding of how to actually solve, and comprehend every move to solve a rubik's cube. I see so often people who memorize over a hundred algs, and then mindlessly spam the cube with them, without any understanding of what they're really doing. It becomes a matter of just memorizing the solutions to every case, without knowing how to do them efficiently otherwise. So I say, blockbuilding FTW.

I think what I'll do is keep going with fridrich ( but not learn oll and pll yet) just to improve looking ahead, speed of moves and minimize cube rotation. Then when i get good at this I'll decide if I choose roux or full fridrich. What time can you guys do using cross/f2l/4 Look Last layer?
Well there are plenty of people that get like 10 with Fridrich and if you added maybe the 2 seconds that a 4lll would add at the very most, it would make 12.....

Athefre

Shouldn't you be discussing blockbuilding, not whether people are sub-20 at blockbuilding methods?

I was, my very first post in this topic I quoted Sn3kyPandaMan to show that there are more sub-20 "Roux" user's than most people think. I then answered the topic creator's question about how to get good at blockbuilding. I left answering the topic creator's question last in my first post so that my post, although long, wouldn't feel like it was focused on sub-20 people.

But then people kept commenting on my post so I felt the need to acknowledge that I saw their post. I don't see anything else we can do to help the topic creator.

patrickpoako

So the question again lies...is there any other website/link (not the ones given out already) that could help improve our 1x2x3 blockbuilding. I've check on petrus website and found some useful 1x2x2 blockbuilding tricks. I've yet to see a site dedicated to roux blockbuilding style. My main problem about block is after doing the 1x2x2 part I end up doing fridrich f2l on the other ones so its not actually helping me since if I do a full fridrich I'll end up having faster times. Also if I do the 1x2x2 block on petrus website I almost always end up doing a 2x2x2 block and doing petrus instead (although I dont do the fix-edge thingy). Sometimes I do extended crosses if I do blockbuilding.
If anyone can post their tips and trips it would really be well appreciated.
Calling all those good roux users. (I've e-mailed Richard Meyer but seems he is in the army right now so he cant help much).

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
So the question again lies...is there any other website/link (not the ones given out already) that could help improve our 1x2x3 blockbuilding. I've check on petrus website and found some useful 1x2x2 blockbuilding tricks. I've yet to see a site dedicated to roux blockbuilding style. My main problem about block is after doing the 1x2x2 part I end up doing fridrich f2l on the other ones so its not actually helping me since if I do a full fridrich I'll end up having faster times. Also if I do the 1x2x2 block on petrus website I almost always end up doing a 2x2x2 block and doing petrus instead (although I dont do the fix-edge thingy). Sometimes I do extended crosses if I do blockbuilding.
Calling all those good roux users. (I've e-mailed Richard Meyer but seems he is in the army right now so he cant help much).
I'm going to look around right now.... I say best bet, browse youtube, because I found when learning block building tricks, I would search for and watch a multitude of tutorials, just to see how they constructed everything, and through this method, I could pick up a decent amount of little tricks neccesary to get those sub 20 times. New PB 10/12 just now too 22.87 =].

Tweker

Yup, thats what I'm having problem with too :S I always end up doing f2l moves to finish my block... Something very nice is the 3 exemple solves on roux's website, but its in french, maybe that wouldnt be helpfull for you :S But then again he goes very fast, he says '' I'm gonna pair these two while looking for the other edge'' and bam! its done. It would be very nice if a fellow block builder could make a video with a few ''one step stop'' 1x2x3 block building example. Looking at roux's exemple video, I realised how fast block building can be, I'd really like to get good at it.

Athefre

Yup, thats what I'm having problem with too :S I always end up doing f2l moves to finish my block... Something very nice is the 3 exemple solves on roux's website, but its in french, maybe that wouldnt be helpfull for you :S But then again he goes very fast, he says '' I'm gonna pair these two while looking for the other edge'' and bam! its done. It would be very nice if a fellow block builder could make a video with a few ''one step stop'' 1x2x3 block building example. Looking at roux's exemple video, I realised how fast block building can be, I'd really like to get good at it.

Honestly there isn't much you can do but practice. You just have to practice over and over. Here is what I did as a way to practice:

For creating the first pair of the second block:

First find a corner, set it up in a certain orientation and leave it somewhere (like UFR). Then:

a. Find a combinable edge and set it up in a certain orientation and in a certain place around the cube
b. Try to find the best way of combining the corner with the edge
c. Put the edge somewhere else on the cube in the same orientation and find the best way of combining the corner with it

Repeat.

For combining the first pair of the second block with the edge to create the 1x2x2:

Place the pair you've created somewhere (like UF+UFR). Then repeat the same steps as above.

For creating the last pair of the second block:

Same steps as making the first pair.

I wasn't actually solving the cube during this, I was just practicing creating the block. This way worked perfectly for me. If there is a certain situation you can't find a good solution for, just go to Step 2 on Gilles' site, it has solutions to every case. I don't see how someone would need anything else since that one page of his describes (and shows) everything.

davve14

Hallo!Go to youtube!Search fore (davve14)!There you can learn to build 1x2x3 block!1x2x3 on the left side and the right side!!!!!!!!

cuber316

roux method help?

im learning roux right now, im learning of gilles roux site, im up to cmll but its not makeing any sense and just confuseing me:confused: also can someone give me a effective way to build the 2 1x1x3 blocks, i also have no idea how to do the last step because there are no video tutorials that i no of and roux's site confuse's me lol. any help appriciated. thanks

Athefre

What is it about the CMLL you don't understand? Is it that he doesn't have all of the actual solutions in the table? Some spaces have things like this:

(C3)'
Sym(C2)

Which means you can do cell C3 backwards to get the solution or you can do the symmetry of C2 for the solution. If you don't want to bother doing that, scroll to the bottom of his CMLL page, he has another table with all of them listed.

Also another problem you might be having is that even if you know the right solution it's not working, that's because for some you have to adjust U before performing the sequence. Do the solution backwards on a solved cube, you'll see how it's supposed to be adjusted.

Step 4 help:

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83945&postcount=6

EDIT: For blockbuilding help:

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104825&postcount=22

Last edited:

boiiwonder

im learning roux right now, im learning of gilles roux site, im up to cmll but its not makeing any sense and just confuseing me:confused: also can someone give me a effective way to build the 2 1x1x3 blocks, i also have no idea how to do the last step because there are no video tutorials that i no of and roux's site confuse's me lol. any help appriciated. thanks

For the cmlls just scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page for what each box means.

for building the blocks it takes A LOT of practice, so don't worry you learn eventually

( i use roux )

D

Deleted member 2864

roux edge orientation help

sup... learnin roux right now because it's an interesting method and I want to learn some blockbuilding... I can solve it except when I have to flip two opposite edges on the top layer... I'm stuck with using a fridrich oll alg on it but I was wondering if there was a way to flip the two using M and U since the fridrich oll uses R with it... thanks!