• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Edward

WCA
2011KING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
People who use Roux will tell you Roux is better. People who use Fridrich will tell you Fridrich is better. With enough practice, you can get really fast with both methods. Try them both out and see which one you like to do most.

I use Fridrich but I think Roux is funner -_-.

Whats in bold is what I was about to say.

vgbjason

Roux is more intuitive, to my knowledge. It really depends on your style and how you are comfortable with solving the cube. if you're not good at doing M and M' moves, I'd avoid Roux.

vgbjason

roux 40+ algos
full CFOP 21+57 algos(correct me if im wrong)

You're right, unless they use ZBF2L or use algorithmic f2l of any kind. You may also be wrong if someone uses partial edge control. Although both of those are special situations, and to some extent deviate from the original Fridrich method

If I want to try to experiment with Roux to see which I like better, should I try to learn alot of the method first or just try to get the basics down and see which method is better to pursue for right now. (I plan on trying to learn both in the future.)

bwatkins

personally i CAN NOT do block building methods mast. Roux is a fun method to solve, but it depends on what your better at. Just try them both and see what works best for you.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Choosing methods is like choosing a DIY.

You keep trying out new ones until you find that right one that you'll stick with.

Even if some of the top cubers use CFOP, Roux is a relatively new method compared to CFOP. So most Roux solvers haven't had time to develop it like CFOP users have evolved from the original Fridrich Method.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I love fried rice.

Also, I think that, being the most method-neutral person that I know of, I need to say something here.

Roux is good to learn on, but Fridrich will beat Roux overall.
I think that Roux is a great expansion to one's skills, and can provide new enjoyment in cubing overall. Also, if you have wicked-fast <M,U> speed, than there's a great chance you can do well with Roux.

Problems occur with Roux on other events way too often for it to be my 'main' method, however, so until further ado, I'll be using other methods such as Petrus, ZZ, and of course CFOP for speedsolving.

Caedus

Premium Member
I use Fridrich but I think Roux is funner -_-.

Better, not funner. And I was generalizing, there will always be exceptions, of course.

Actually, better would not be appropriate. More fun would be the appropriate choice.

As for Roux or Fridrich, I switched from Fridrich to Roux because I found Roux to be more interesting/fun.

cubesolver77

well i think it depends on wat ever one you like but u should think about the bigger cubes too. Roux, as far as i know, is horrible on cubes with multiple layers in the middle so i think Fredrich would be good to learn if you are thinking about goiing onto other larger cubes, but it still is ur choice on the methods

powershotman

YouTube
Visit Channel
roux 40+ algos
full CFOP 21+57 algos(correct me if im wrong)

You're right, unless they use ZBF2L or use algorithmic f2l of any kind. You may also be wrong if someone uses partial edge control. Although both of those are special situations, and to some extent deviate from the original Fridrich method
yes. i did say this [maybe with some different variation]:)

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Roux=42 algs
all of which are easy to learn and recog.

Roux is more fun and has more room for improvement.

roux doesnt have typical LL but the last step is really fast.

you should learn full Roux but use 2 look corners

Dirk BerGuRK

If I want to try to experiment with Roux to see which I like better, should I try to learn alot of the method first or just try to get the basics down and see which method is better to pursue for right now. (I plan on trying to learn both in the future.)

I say you should experiment with building the first two blocks. I think it is the most difficult to become fast at. That is what I did when first trying out Roux, and I had so much fun I stuck with it.

miniGOINGS

I thought this was a "Roux vs Fridrich" thread, but it's actually about your method choice? Try Roux out, try Fridrich out, the more methods you have tried, the better you can choose one for yourself. I'm not going to say "Roux" because I don't like Fridrich and find Roux fun (I'm not going to get into that unless someone asks). Only you know which method you should choose. Others may recommend methods, but if you don't like it, don't use it. We can't force you to do anything, it's your choice.

Kyle Barry

WCA
2007BARR02
Waffle - you obviously don't even know what Roux is :)

I use Fridrich, but I think Roux has great potential as well, as you can see with Biggreen, Waffle, and Gilles. I've played around with it and find it enjoyable, and fast. Again, try each out, but don't let algs deter you, they aren't that bad once you start learning them. But, it is fun to use Roux because, knowing at the very least, a beginner's layer by layer method, to do cll, you need no algorithms, and it's a change of pace.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought this was a "Roux vs Fridrich" thread, but it's actually about your method choice? Try Roux out, try Fridrich out, the more methods you have tried, the better you can choose one for yourself. I'm not going to say "Roux" because I don't like Fridrich and find Roux fun (I'm not going to get into that unless someone asks). Only you know which method you should choose. Others may recommend methods, but if you don't like it, don't use it. We can't force you to do anything, it's your choice.

im asking xP
seriously pros and cons, mini im curious of your answer

miniGOINGS

im asking xP
seriously pros and cons, mini im curious of your answer

Ok, these are all from my point of view.

Roux: Because it's newer, it has more unexplored potential
Fridrich: Becuase it's older, it has more resources, and we know what works well and doesn't.

Roux: Uses restrictions to it's advantage.
Fridrich: Uses freedom to it's advantage.

Roux: More options during inspection.
Fridrich: More options during the solve.

Roux: Intuitive sequences that become algorithmic.
Fridrich: Algorithmic sequences that become intuitive.

Roux: Greatly a thinking method.
Fridrich: Greatly a doing method.

That's how I see it.

Charybdis

YouTube
Visit Channel
i dont think ive seen anybodt get sub 10 (correct me if im wrong) with roux, so i use fridrich, however i can use roux, just i use a simpler roux method... where i dont have to memorize quite as many algs