• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Yau4 Discussion

So reduction method (4x4) is this:
1. construct first center
2. construct second center
3. construct third center
4. construct fourth center
5. construct last 2 centers
6. construct first edge
7. construct second edge
8. construct third edge
9. construct fourth edge
10. construct fifth edge
11. construct sixth edge
12. construct seventh edge
13. construct eighth edge
14. construct ninth edge
15. construct last 3 edges
16. solve like 3x3x3

What is Yau method, then?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
So reduction method (4x4) is this:
1. construct first center (cross color or opposite cross color)
2. construct second center (opposite first)
6. construct first cross edge
7. construct second cross edge
8. construct third cross edge
9. construct fourth edge
10. construct fifth edge
11. construct sixth edge
14. construct ninth edge
15. construct last 3 edges
16. solve like 3x3x3

What is Yau method, then?

1. Solve first center (cross color or opposite cross color)
2. Solve second center (opposite first center)
3. Solve first cross edge
4. Solve second cross edge
5. Solve third cross edge
6. Solve third center
7. Solve fourth center
8. Solve last two centers
9. Solve fourth cross edge
10. Solve 3 more edges
11. Solve 2 edges
12. Solve last 3 edges
13. Solve like a 3x3 (CFOP cross is already done)

Last edited:
Reduction5 is this:
6. construct first edge
7. construct second edge
8. construct third edge
9. construct fourth edge
10. construct fifth edge
11. construct sixth edge
14. construct ninth edge
15. construct tenth edge
16. construct eleventh edge
17. construct twelfth edge
18. construct thirteenth edge
19. construct fourteenth edge
20. construct fifteenth edge
21. construct sixteenth edge
22. construct seventeenth edge
23. construct eighteenth edge
24. construct nineteenth edge
25. construct twentieth edge
26. construct twenty-first edge
27. construct last 3 edges
28. solve like 3x3x3

What is Yau5, then?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Reduction5 is this:
6. construct first edge
7. construct second edge
8. construct third edge
9. construct fourth edge
10. construct fifth edge
11. construct sixth edge
14. construct ninth edge
15. construct tenth edge
16. construct eleventh edge
17. construct twelfth edge
18. construct thirteenth edge
19. construct fourteenth edge
20. construct fifteenth edge
21. construct sixteenth edge
22. construct seventeenth edge
23. construct eighteenth edge
24. construct nineteenth edge
25. construct twentieth edge
26. construct twenty-first edge
27. construct last 3 edges
28. solve like 3x3x3

What is Yau5, then?
There are not 24 edges on a 5x5. Still only 12. Otherwise, the differences between Yau4 and Yau5 are, as I understand it: 3-2-3 edge pairing doesn't work on 5x5, so you need to do freeslicing or AvG, or some other method, and some people solve the fourth cross edge before solving the last 4 centers. I never had much luck preserving the last cross edge while solving centers, so I did the same order as on 4x4.

There are 12 paired edges on a 5x5, but 24 need to be placed (3-1=2 for each edge). So you need to count to 24 to give the steps in Reduction5.

No you don't. Stop making it unnecessarily complicated. Why aren't you breaking down 3x3 stage to pairing 1st F2L pair, inserting 1st F2L pair, etc?
Because 3x3 solutions may differ. Some solutions, like Petrus, don't do F2L pairs. Also this isn't unnecessarily complicated, because everyone really does it like that.

It's dumb to break it down that far because you get completed edge pairs all the time.
1. centers
2. edges
3. 3x3
Is that really so hard to understand?
It isn't dumb, because Reduction5 is exactly to do each of 21 edges one at a time plus the last three.

xyzzy

It isn't dumb, because Reduction5 is exactly to do each of 21 edges one at a time plus the last three.
There is exactly as much information in "construct first edge; construct second edge; […]; construct twenty-first edge" as "construct 21 edges one at a time". There was no need to spell it all out. Also, not everyone does this—in fact, most speedsolvers don't do this, because it's very inefficient; freeslice is by far the predominant edge pairing strategy for 5×5×5 first eight edges (along with slice-flip-slice for the last four edges), with a significant minority using AvG.

Also also, this thread is for Yau on 4×4×4; please take the off-topic discussion about 5×5×5 to the appropriate thread(s).

There is exactly as much information in "construct first edge; construct second edge; […]; construct twenty-first edge" as "construct 21 edges one at a time". There was no need to spell it all out. Also, not everyone does this—in fact, most speedsolvers don't do this, because it's very inefficient; freeslice is by far the predominant edge pairing strategy for 5×5×5 first eight edges (along with slice-flip-slice for the last four edges), with a significant minority using AvG.

Also also, this thread is for Yau on 4×4×4; please take the off-topic discussion about 5×5×5 to the appropriate thread(s).
I can't move my posts. I'm not an administrator. Also, one at a time is the standard Reduction and Reduction5 way to do it, using the algorithm l' U L' U' l, Uw' R U R' Uw or whatever was learned. It is simply not reduction with a different method.

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
I can't move my posts. I'm not an administrator. Also, one at a time is the standard Reduction and Reduction5 way to do it, using the algorithm l' U L' U' l, Uw' R U R' Uw or whatever was learned. It is simply not reduction with a different method.
No. As long as you solve centres and edges with the intention of reducing the cube to a 3x3, it is considered reduction, regardless of how you solve the centres or pair the edges. Yau and Hoya can be considered variations of reduction in this respect.

However, traditional reduction simply consists of centres, edges and 3x3 stage, and the predominant edge pairing method when doing this is freeslice. Yes, other methods (like one by one) exist for edge pairing, but it's still reduction.

Freelyslicing in Reduction and Reduction5 is like using VLS in CFOP. It's just not the standard Reduction and Reduction5.

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone, I am needing some help with learning the Yau method for 4x4. Any help or tips that you guys can give me, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I assume you have looked at tutorials, so my suggestion would be do not just watch one persons tutorials. Look at a few different ones, and maybe read some tutorials that will help you learn