• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[WRC] How to Provide Feedback on the draft of the new Regulations

Vincents

WCA
2006SHEU01
The draft of the new Regulations is being released for a two-week community review period:

• Download wca-regulations-2012.md and wca-guidelines-2012.md
  • Open the files in a good plain text editor (e.g. Notepad++ or Sublime Text, *not* Notepad.exe), read through and make any suggested changes. If you have any open concerns, you can add "[NOTE: This is a note]".
  • Send the files to Lucas / the WRC. We will add them to the repository, so we can view your changes/notes and discuss them.

Please keep notes constructive. We made quite a few changes, none of them light-heartedly. You may also post in this thread, but if you'd like propose any specific changes (WORDING IS IMPORTANT), follow the process above.

Please note that the Regulations are accompanied by the Competition Guidelines. Many of the suggestions (e.g. organizers should prepare awards) have been moved to Guidelines, so that's why you don't see those in the Regulations.

- The WCA Regulations Committee

-----

Some important changes (not guaranteed to be a complete list):

For Competitors:
  • A4e), A6i) Penalties are cumulative.
  • Guideline 11e) Competitors may keep solving during appeals.
  • No slice moves for Rubik's Cube: Fewest Moves.
  • If a regional record is broken multiple times on the same day, only the best one counts.

For Judges/Scramblers
  • Stopwatch results under 10:00 are measured to 100ths.
  • H1b2) 10-second warning for the end of multi BLD; any cubes in hand will count as DNF.
  • 4d1) Scrambling: Black is *not* to be treated as white.

For Organizers/Delegates:
  • 1c3a) All scrambles from competitions must be saved and submitted with the results.
  • 1c) Most responsibilities and powers are now assigned to the Delegate, who may assign them to others.
  • Guideline 2d) Competitor birthdates and contact info is private.
  • A2c1) Using scorecards as covers is no longer permitted. Organizers should prepare sufficient cube covers before the competition. (In an emergency, properly folded paper can be used to make impromptu covers.)
  • Video evidence is now allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it possible to get a list of the changes you have made from the previous regulations? Or do we just have to open up both copies to compare everything closely?

Vincents

WCA
2006SHEU01
Is it possible to get a list of the changes you have made from the previous regulations? Or do we just have to open up both copies to compare everything closely?

Hi Dene,

We had a document where we marked off all changes and deletions, but the entire thing got so messy (I'd be surprised if even 5% of the Regulations have been untouched) that we didn't consider it useful anymore. I would suggest reading this as a whole new set of Regulations.

Some big things that I can think of right now:
- Removal of the main organizer, and transferal of most powers to the Delegate. The Delegate may then delegate duties as s/he sees fit.
- Moving of the Article on awards to Guidelines.
- Change in the requirements for hosting a competition. Most of the suggested old limits have also been moved to Guidelines.
- All penalties are now cumulative.
- How to deal with StackMat Pro times.
- "Stickerless" GuHongs (and similar) explicitly banned.
- Arbitrary orientation prior to inspection.
- How to deal with puzzle defects post-attempt.
- etc etc. (there are many more)

Last edited:

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
- All penalties are now cumulative.
- "Stickerless" GuHongs (and similar) explicitly banned.

Does this mean 2 +2s make a +4?

The second one is a great decision. My opinion is that stickerless actually helps MORE for blind than for speedsolving since seeing back colors eliminates cube rotations during memo (I've tried it).

Last edited:

BlueDevil

WCA
2011LOWR01
- 5b3c) If the puzzle is unsolvable, and can be made solvable by rotating a single corner piece, the competitor may correct the corner piece by twisting it in place without disassembling the puzzle.

Glad this has been explicitly referenced. I also support this rule.

Last edited:

Julian

WCA
2010DAVI06
5b3c) If the puzzle is unsolvable, and can be made solvable by rotating a single corner piece, the competitor may correct the corner piece by twisting it in place without disassembling the puzzle.

I like this, but I think problems can arise. If you get to OLL with just one twisted corner (and you would have had supermanOLL), you will almost always twist into place the remaining corner. This could conceivably give you an unfair advantage.

BlueDevil

WCA
2011LOWR01
5b3c) If the puzzle is unsolvable, and can be made solvable by rotating a single corner piece, the competitor may correct the corner piece by twisting it in place without disassembling the puzzle.

I like this, but I think problems can arise. If you get to OLL with just one twisted corner (and you would have had supermanOLL), you will almost always twist into place the remaining corner. This could conceivably give you an unfair advantage.
At this point your cube would have had to pop, so I don't think the difference between an OLL skip and performing an OLL is a huge difference, the time will be lousy anyway.

BlueDevil

WCA
2011LOWR01
Not true. I twist corners by accident all the time.

well then I guess that's an issue. The regulations say the fix can't give you an extra advantage, but if you were going to get an OLL skip anyway, then it technically isn't an advantage. Don't know if an extra regulation could properly cover this issue...