• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What's the diference(LL Petrus)

Aaronus23

Well you see... i've heard of many Petrus-Cubers there own method for the LL but the two that I've most heard of are:EP+COLL and regular OLL+PLL

and isint that the same thing?... i mean, you have to do 2 case recognitions on both and 2 algorithms in each...

I'd like to no what you think

:)

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
wat
COLL then EP....?
COLL orients and permutes the corners leaving you with only U, Z, H. 42+4 = 46 algs total
OLL+PLL 7+21 =28 algs.

both can be fast.

EDIT = OSHT HE JUST FOUND OUT.

Last edited:
G

Georgeanderre

Well you see... i've heard of many Petrus-Cubers there own method for the LL but the two that I've most heard of are:EP+COLL and regular OLL+PLL

and isint that the same thing?... i mean, you have to do 2 case recognitions on both and 2 algorithms in each...

I'd like to no what you think

:)

COLL ELL
2GLL

or L2S ELL, but this would require a ton of algs... like a petrus antichrist

rcbeyer

WCA
2010BEYE01
One thing that i use, as maybe an alternative to an MGLS slot is Winter variation, basically doing OLL while inserting the last slot. it's basically awesome, take a look into it
WV Last Slot + PLL is pretty awesome

@panda, have you ever taken a look at or utilized in it any fashion?

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is winter variation that good as a standard method (rather than being opportunistic)? Doesn't it restrict you by forcing you to pair up the last CE on top, and forcing you to have the last empty slot in a set position?

rcbeyer

WCA
2010BEYE01
Is winter variation that good as a standard method (rather than being opportunistic)? Doesn't it restrict you by forcing you to pair up the last CE on top, and forcing you to have the last empty slot in a set position?

it's a little bit opportunistic, but not much.
When the last slot can be filled with R U R' or R' U' R i would just insert/OLL
However I find, maybe it's just the way I build my blocks, that I most often find my self where I could insert the last CE pair with R' U R or R U' R' and those are the cases that I would use WV.
Many of the algorithms are shorter than insert + OLL and quite easy to recognize, also very easy to mirror, which can be handy since you can have two different slots to fill, but my BRD-BR CE pair is usually my last part of my F2L so it's quite easy to integrate WV inserts into my solving style.

Plus you feel LIKE A BOSS when you insert the last pair and you don't have to fiddle with OLL lol

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
Why? Isn't the only bad case like, E perm?

1. Recognition of the edge permutation before the corners are solved can be slower than doing it at the end. When the corners are solved, it is very quick to see if you need to do a U perm, H perm, or Z perm to solve the edges in relation to those corners. Without the corners there, the recognition can be slower, because depending on the AUF the edges can be in a parity-like case (yes I am aware this happens when corners are solved as well, it just isnt something that affects recognition in that case). Of course this may just be me, because I haven't actually tried to find a good way to recognize it.
2. In my experience, very many good COLL algs affect the edge permutation. Since I haven't generated algs, I don't know how many cases this is a problem with, but at least some COLL cases would have relatively unfavorable algs when you have to preserve EP.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
One thing that i use, as maybe an alternative to an MGLS slot is Winter variation, basically doing OLL while inserting the last slot. it's basically awesome, take a look into it
WV Last Slot + PLL is pretty awesome

@panda, have you ever taken a look at or utilized in it any fashion?
Are you referring to Winter Variation or MGLS? I've never bothered really taking a look at winter variation because I don't see a whole lot of potential. The 7 OLLs are already incredibly fast and like someone said it does restrict the way you do step 4 a little bit. I just don't see any advantage as opposed to doing regular OLL.

I used to use MGLS in like 15% of my speedsolves. I've since forgotten a couple of the algs but most of them have come back to me now. I just need to sit down and relearn the ugly cases at some point again and I'll be back to using it whenever I see it. I'm just pretty busy lately with college and all. As opposed to WV you can use MGLS to make twisted blocks. It makes for some really nice opportunistic cases and can save your ass when there aren't any regular CE pairs on a scramble, or they're in very inconvenient locations.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. Recognition of the edge permutation before the corners are solved can be slower than doing it at the end. When the corners are solved, it is very quick to see if you need to do a U perm, H perm, or Z perm to solve the edges in relation to those corners. Without the corners there, the recognition can be slower, because depending on the AUF the edges can be in a parity-like case (yes I am aware this happens when corners are solved as well, it just isnt something that affects recognition in that case). Of course this may just be me, because I haven't actually tried to find a good way to recognize it.

While I was reading this I was like "Yeah, for you". Then I got to the bit where you were saying "maybe it's just me".

Maybe you haven't realised that you can just do a U2 instead of a H perm etc, either.

2. In my experience, very many good COLL algs affect the edge permutation. Since I haven't generated algs, I don't know how many cases this is a problem with, but at least some COLL cases would have relatively unfavorable algs when you have to preserve EP.

do you realise that not every CLL case is possible to even have after ELL is solved? it's mostly just L3C which is tasty and commy

also EP first is batshit fast.