• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] What should I learn next?

PurpleBanana

After full OLL and PLL, you might as well learn all the F2L algorithms, COLL, Winter Variation, ZBF2L, and ZBLL. You'd end up knowing almost 1000 algs, lol.

Azndwarf

WCA
2015CHUN01
Subset recomendation?

Hi, I am a 14/15 sec average cuber and i am done with full CFOP. Since I have spent around a year learning this, I am now lost on what to learn next. I also solve 2x2 around 4/5 sec and would like to consistently average 4 sec. Should I learn 3x3 COLL and apply them to 2x2 as CLL or learn 2x2 CLL and wait to get sub-xx and then learn COLL? And also is COLL worth learning?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I am a 14/15 sec average cuber and i am done with full CFOP. Since I have spent around a year learning this, I am now lost on what to learn next. I also solve 2x2 around 4/5 sec and would like to consistently average 4 sec. Should I learn 3x3 COLL and apply them to 2x2 as CLL or learn 2x2 CLL and wait to get sub-xx and then learn COLL? And also is COLL worth learning?
Learn 2x2 CLL first. You're fast at 3x3 already, and CLL will definitely help you get sub-4 on 2x2. You can learn COLL later (although some algs will overlap).

What to do after f2l?

So this actually my question for now and I've finished learning full pll and currently on 2-look oll.And now I'm trying to learn advanced f2l and currently searching for extended cross.So my point is what will I do after I've learned those two?Should I learn full oll next?Or COLL or whatever?I'm sub 30 for 2 weeks now and I only started cubing last month.

Dominic Diez

So this actually my question for now and I've finished learning full pll and currently on 2-look oll.And now I'm trying to learn advanced f2l and currently searching for extended cross.So my point is what will I do after I've learned those two?Should I learn full oll next?Or COLL or whatever?I'm sub 30 for 2 weeks now and I only started cubing last month.

scrap advanced F2L: learn look ahead

KRAMIST

Guide to unrecgonized method to solve the 3x3

these days the most common methods are CFOP, ZZ, ZB, Roux, Petrus and a variety of others but what about the uncommon methods like Ortega yes it is popular but not in the way that everyone uses it like CFOP i wanted to know a few other than Triangular Francisco and others is there any other method useful to learn not for speed cubing but just generally

How can I prevent pops and clickings?Is there any way to do that?And also how can I make my storebought cube cornercut and reverse corner cut better?Thanks in advance!

Eduard Khil

Wrong Thread. But yeah. Take off the center caps and most likely you will find screws beneath (If it isnt a dollar store cube). Loosen it to maximize corner cutting, but dont make it too loose so that it pops and locks up.
Lubricate your cube with silicone-based lubricant.

And for clicking, as you solve more, it will go away

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
How can I prevent pops and clickings?Is there any way to do that?And also how can I make my storebought cube cornercut and reverse corner cut better?Thanks in advance!
To reduce pops, tighten the cube.
If you want your storebought to corner cut better... just get a new cube. ShengShou Auroras and YJ GuanLongs are much cheaper, and much better. It's not really worth trying to mod them.

WCA
2013BARK01
I average ~14.75, (my Ao50 isn't that good because after around 25 solves in a row I start getting slower) and I want to improve to sub-12 before August 8th (there is a potential comp on that date.) I know full OLL and PLL, and a few random F2L tricks most of which I've learnt from some of Chris Olson's videos. I know around 3 COLLs but I don't use them in solves because I don't recognize them fast enough and don't fell like it is really worth it because my EPLL isn't that great anyway. Any tips?

Hey Guys.I have a question.Right now I'm currently sub 30 on ave and some people said that you can be sub 20 without full oll.So what should I learn next?I'm pretty good at f2l and is COLL recommended for 2 hands?I also know VHLS so I don't really need to do full oll.

WCA
2013BARK01
Hey Guys.I have a question.Right now I'm currently sub 30 on ave and some people said that you can be sub 20 without full oll.So what should I learn next?I'm pretty good at f2l and is COLL recommended for 2 hands?I also know VHLS so I don't really need to do full oll.

You know PLL (I'm assuming) and VHLS? You don't need full OLL for sub-20, but try learning some easy cases. You could try improving LL recognition, and try to get your LL down to around 7 seconds for sub-20. Practice F2L and try to look ahead more. 12 seconds for F2L can probably get you sub-20 with a decent last layer. You could learn COLL, but to be honest I don't think it would help that much if you average around 25 seconds. I'm sub-15 and I don't know COLL, so I don't really think it is necessary. I got to around 17 seconds before I finished learning OLL, and my time splits were something like:
Cross: 3 seconds
F2L(not including cross): 8 seconds
OLL(2-look + easy 1-look cases): 3 seconds
PLL(recog.): 1 second
PLL(1-look): 2 seconds
=17 seconds
If you can get your times to around that then you can be well under 20 seconds. My main advice is just practice, and do some untimed solves to help with your F2L efficiency and lookahead.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I avg. like 22 seconds with full PLL and two look OLL + some. Should i wait until like 15-17 secs to work on full OLL, and just get look ahead and cross DOWN, or should i go ahead and learn 2-look last layer?
Learn 2-look LL. Don't avoid OLL because people say you don't need it. You don't need PLL to be sub-10, but it definitely helps.

You know PLL (I'm assuming) and VHLS? You don't need full OLL for sub-20, but try learning some easy cases. You could try improving LL recognition, and try to get your LL down to around 7 seconds for sub-20. Practice F2L and try to look ahead more. 12 seconds for F2L can probably get you sub-20 with a decent last layer. You could learn COLL, but to be honest I don't think it would help that much if you average around 25 seconds. I'm sub-15 and I don't know COLL, so I don't really think it is necessary. I got to around 17 seconds before I finished learning OLL, and my time splits were something like:
Cross: 3 seconds
F2L(not including cross): 8 seconds
OLL(2-look + easy 1-look cases): 3 seconds
PLL(recog.): 1 second
PLL(1-look): 2 seconds
=17 seconds
If you can get your times to around that then you can be well under 20 seconds. My main advice is just practice, and do some untimed solves to help with your F2L efficiency and lookahead.
I get that but I'm really struggling with f2l.Thanks to you I have a new PB of 19.xx sec. cause of my f2l around 8 sec but that was just a coincidence.So I want to know how can I improve in f2l...THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!