• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

dancran

Help! 5x5 V-Cube turns terribly after lube

Hey SpeedSolving community,

I recently bought a V-Cube 5 and it turned pretty well out of the box, but I was hoping to make it turn better by lubing it up. I bought this Silicone Spray online:
3-in-one-10041-silicone-spray-lubricant-aerosol-can-11-fluid-ounce-3-od-263-length_2354_500.jpg

To lube it, I followed the method as outlined here:

I did this about 24 hours ago last night. After spraying, I made sure to spin every side around multiple times etc. Put it under a fan for a majority of the night and when I woke up this morning it turns way way worse than before lubing. What did I do wrong?

Should I let the cube sit with the lube for another day or two and see if it improves, or should I take the cube apart and clean everything off ASAP? I don't want the spray to permanently affect my new V-Cube.... :(

Any advice with or knowledge about using this type of Silicone Spray would be appreciated. There is a chance I may have put too much spray in as well. Would this be the reason this lubricant wouldn't work?

Thanks for any help you can give,
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Meep

WCA
2008ASIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Having used that lube before, it tends to make your cube feel somewhat sticky and gunky initially, but it does work in and get better as you keep playing with it. I personally use Jig-A-Loo now, as that's one of the options that work almost immediately (and lasts).

dancran

If I were to clean off this lubricant, what is the best way to do so?

Also, how long did it take for the stickiness to go away? My cube is not even fun to solve at its condition right now because it is so dang hard to turn initially...

Meep

WCA
2008ASIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I were to clean off this lubricant, what is the best way to do so?

Also, how long did it take for the stickiness to go away? My cube is not even fun to solve at its condition right now because it is so dang hard to turn initially...

It takes maybe a day of casually solving it throughout. As it starts to feel better, the more you'll likely enjoy solving it, and consequently break it in faster.

cycle

don't panic. it's probably overlubed. it will be better in a few days. play with it! but u could always take it apart and wipe off the pieces.

dancran

thanks for the replies everyone. I spent a good amount of time tonight rotating every side and it still isn't breaking in in the slightest :/ before I lubed it i could do decent flicks with the v-cube but that is impossible right now. no time tonight, but tomorrow I will disassemble it and clean it off. will check my local walmart on my way back from work for jigaloo or crc.

will keep you all posted. thanks for the comments I really appreciate the help!

dancran

Just to update. Last night I took apart the V-Cube 5, cleaned, and put it back together. My process was:

After disassembly, take old rag/paper towels to wipe down all the pieces. Then I put all the pieces in the sink with soapy water and cleaned them off to try and remove the old lubricant. After letting them dry, I lubricated the pieces with CRC Silicone Spray I picked up yesterday. After letting the pieces sit for a while I then put it back together.

Now my V-Cube is spinning nice again! :) Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. This is a nice forum that I am glad I found

Dan

Ffrangconator

YouTube
Visit Channel
Putting Vaseline In a V-Cube 5?

I purchased a v-cube 5 over a month ago, and wondering if I should vaseline in it.
I have done the MeMyself&Pi Corner Modification, lubed it with CRC Silicone Spray, and have been braking it in for a number of weeks. It turns pretty good, but I still think it could be better.
Just wondering if there is anyone who has put vaseline in their v-cube 5, and want to share their experience on how it affected the cube, and if they recommend it, or does it make the cube too loose? Or does it just take a lot of breaking in?

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Regretfully I did and it made no difference. V-Cubes take a while to break in, just do loads of solves and lube with Silicon only! In fact, now my V5 seems to pop more than others do, coincidence?...i think not.

iEnjoyCubing

WCA
2011VALL01
I have not personally done it myself, but have used one lubed with Vaseline from a friend. It did not turn very well, and after awhile the Vaseline ends up getting all slimy inside the cube. Stick with Silicone spray, the V-Cubes tend to react a lot better to it than Vaseline. On another note, if you can get Jigaloo over CRC then get it. It performs a small bit better.

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
Try getting jig-a-loo on Ebay, or Shock Oil. Or buy a ShengShou 5x5 (it's only 10 dollars, and doesn't need time to break in). But don't put Vaseline in any cube.