• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Thoughts on Going to Competitions Starting June 5th?

NevEr_QeyX

Why was western champs postponed?! It’s in the middle on June! this was the first trip where I covered my own expenses and now I lost almost $200 because the dang plane company only gives “TICKET CREDIT” for a different flight.

bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....................................

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why was western champs postponed?! It’s in the middle on June! this was the first trip where I covered my own expenses and now I lost almost $200 because the dang plane company only gives “TICKET CREDIT” for a different flight.

bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....................................
Am I missing something? The WCA website still says June 12-14

NevEr_QeyX

NevEr_QeyX

B07373F1-3A56-48C0-8F3C-F694F2D70153.jpegMy mans is suspicious

I cropped out personal info that’s why it looks janky

it says below this that if enough people don’t sign up they will postpone to next June

Sub1hour: *furiously emails organizers*

Last edited:

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sub1hour: *furiously emails organizers*
Honestly this makes me really sad. I had to cancel my own competition and was hoping that I would at least get to attend this one on time. I hope that the WCA will make some changes that allow for a safer environment for competitions. I think that if we possibly banned spectators or only allowed 1 parent of younger competitors we could hold something sooner then later. But for now, safety is the #1 priority until we are able to get the virus a little bit more under control. I think that once areas see a very significant dip in infection rates then we could re-allow competitions. But in the case of Utah, the infection rate is plateauing but not going down significantly enough to allow this competition to take place.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a rabbit hole of discussion for sure. I am often reminded of the OSHA 3 lines of defense pyramid during conversations about COVID-19 (am i showing my age compared to the forum average?!?). Regardless of how you feel about the severity of the situation i think this graphic applies in terms of keeping us safe and also applies to any other safety issue you encounter in life. This pyramid is something shown on all major construction sites and in OSHA trainings nationwide; i think it's actually pretty logical and sound advice...and lets be honest we are all here because we enjoy the logic puzzle that is the rubiks cube.

Most effective: Engineering controls/eliminate the hazard --> Cancel competitions
Less effective: Work practice controls/change the way we work--->require social distancing & significantly modify typical competition operations
Least effective: Personal protective equipment ---> Operate competitions like normal but require masks
Not effective: Downplay the severity of this public health crisis *inserts personal opinion* :cool:

I've been really eager to attend my first comp but wont be doing it any time soon...I'll wait until there is sound and reliable data and recommendations from multiple reputable sources that make me feel it's safe to do so. Even then I'll go to the Colorado.gov website and others to download the published health statistics and make sense of it all for myself before walking into a large area of people. I had Lots of events requiring large gatherings planned this summer and they are all cancelled due to COVID. That's a real bummer but i'll continue to hang out on the top of the pyramid and keep myself and my family safe. In the meantime my 3x3 times will keep dropping as a result!

1589427915253.png

CodingCuber

WCA
2019HERR14
Not sure if this helps

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don’t really think it’s a good idea to put dates on at the moment, we don’t know for sure what the situation will be like in June.
I wouldn’t go to a comp in June though, and my parents definitely wouldn’t...

WCA
2017OWEN01
We can’t completely stop living our lives because of the virus if we wait until there is a vaccine for things like comps to go ahead then we may not get comps for over a year. obviously due to the fact that people got infected so quic we have to be careful and I fully support the lockdowns in place atm but when comps are allowed back (when the government decide they can control the virus spread enough) I will go.