• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Thoughts on Going to Competitions Starting June 5th?

Sub1Hour

This is a dangerous disease, too be sure, but people are overestimating how dangerous it is. It is primarily transmitted through the air, not through touch, and if you do contract it the best data I've seen suggests that about 0.75% of people who contract it die, significantly lower among younger healthier demographics like the majority of cubers.
That is true but there are many cubers that are in close contact with people that are high risk, like those living with grandparents.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
if someone touches your cube you can't get the virus unless you touch your face or something.
I don't think that's entirely true. My point is just that a) touch is not the most likely infection vector, and more importantly b) contacting coronavirus is dangerous but hardly a death sentence, particularly for young people.

Kemi Awe

WCA official competitions are running again starting June 6th, but, to me, it seems like an event where the coronavirus could transmit quite easily, since several people will be touching your cubes, it's very difficult to social distance, etc. What are your thoughts on whether competitions are "safe" or not? Will you go to a competition in your area if there's one in June? I don't want this thread to turn into an argument, since many people tend to have strong opinions during this time. I simply want to hear what other people's opinions.
I think comps should only take place in areas that have been declared safe from COVID-19. Most comps are dominated by kids, and most times, these kids forget to keep social distancing and others hygiene rules.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a dangerous disease, too be sure, but people are overestimating how dangerous it is. It is primarily transmitted through the air, not through touch, and if you do contract it the best data I've seen suggests that about 0.75% of people who contract it die, significantly lower among younger healthier demographics like the majority of cubers.
What you are saying is very dangerous. This virus is highly transmittable through touch.

CubeBlazer

WCA
2018SHUM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is true that it is mainly transmitted through the air, but air comes into contact with your skin and younger people who pick their nose can contract it as well. Also with a R-naught of 2, it's still super contagious

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
A virus that is transmitted through the air is a virus that needs nothing but air to be transmitted, which would mean it could travel for miles. This does not mean it can't be transmitted by touch. All airborne viruses can also be transmitted by touch. Airborne viruses are much worse.

If Covid-19 were airborne we'd pretty much all have it by now with how contagious it is. Covid-19 does not transmit through the air (yet), it is not airborne. It transmits through small droplets from one person to the other when talking, coughing, sneezing or spitting. These droplets travel small distances and usually fall to the ground within 5-6 feet, which is why the distance keeping is required. You can definitely get this virus if you touch something or someone that is infected. It can easily be transmitted from face to hand to cube to hand to face. Transmitting through surfaces however does not seem to be the main way of infection. However: Don't underestimate how contagious this virus is and how easily it is transmitted from person to person.

Also, about 2.7 million people have it or have had it. About 325 thousand have died. That's over 12%, that's 16 times as much as previous said. And this is with all the lockdown measures in place. Imagine if we had done nothing. This virus is more contagious than the flu and much more deadly as well.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
about 2.7 million people have it or have had it. About 325 thousand have died. That's over 12%, that's 16 times as much as previous said. And this is with all the lockdown measures in place. Imagine if we had done nothing. This virus is more contagious than the flu and much more deadly as well.
Antibody testing from the state of New York suggests that 14.9% of the population of the state has had it, or 2,898,050 people in New York state alone. The current figure on Covid-19 deaths in the state of New York stands at 22,843, or 0.788% of 2,898,050.