• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The ZZVolution.

What do you think is the superior method?

• Total voters

TheSlykrCubr

This Hellhole We Know As The British Isles
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is easier to just link a doc with what is worth it:

damn thats not a lot of viable cases. thought there'd be more

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
damn thats not a lot of viable cases. thought there'd be more
Those are the ones that are 100% worth learning thus OO(Objectively Optimal)

Any other case that isn't sune/as can be worth it depending on the person.
Generally Sune/AS isn't worth using since their algs are fast. I personally will occasionally use it to skip diag but usually other than the couple S/AS algs in that doc it won't be worth it until getting into ZBLL, which is then a hotly debated zone still. The algs aren't bad for the ZBLLs but it's still up for debate on whether or not it's faster to to OLL/PLL or the S/AS ZBLLs. IIRC, Diag sune/as is probably worth, especially if better algs are found.

MichaelZRC

I dont really think so,
Both methods have similar "good" scambles which means there's less of an advantage,
also the methods are not as similar as you think because the way of blockbuilding is completely different,and petrus LL v. L10P
i personally think the best combo
is petrus-ZZ
because if you don;t see an obvious block you can just do a ZZ solve instead, which isn't dependent on the same factors.
The thing I find when using that combo is, when I can find a good square, but the last edge for the 2x2x2 is in a bad position, I can just go into a Roux solve, and if I get a good first square, but bad finish for FB, I can just go into a 2x2x2.

MichaelZRC

I think that ZZ and Roux are the big 2 and CFOP is just bad heres why:

Move Count: ZZ > CFOP
Ergonomics
- Moveset: ZZ = CFOP
- Cube Rotations: ZZ > CFOP
- Regrips: ZZ = CFOP
Look Ahead: ZZ > CFOP
CFOP should still belong in the big 4 (you forgot Petrus D:<) because of how bad EOCross is and how simple CFOP is to pick up, it doesn't require much experience or much advanced stuff to get fast.

RiceMan_

CFOP should still belong in the big 4 (you forgot Petrus D:<) because of how bad EOCross is and how simple CFOP is to pick up, it doesn't require much experience or much advanced stuff to get fast.
yes petrus and CFOP is still in the big 4 but i think ZZ and roux are better than CFOP and petrus.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think that ZZ and Roux are the big 2 and CFOP is just bad heres why:

Move Count: ZZ > CFOP
Ergonomics
- Moveset: ZZ = CFOP
- Cube Rotations: ZZ > CFOP
- Regrips: ZZ = CFOP
Look Ahead: ZZ > CFOP
-Moveset: ZZ < CFOP
-Movecount: ZZ > CFOP (with full ZBLL)
-Cube rotations: ZZ > CFOP
-Regrips: ZZ < CFOP
-Lookahead: ZZ < CFOP

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know how you think ZZ moveset is worse than CFOP. It's literally a subset so it can only be at least equal. Similarly, on regrips it can at a minimum be equal for the same reasoning. Lookahead is again debatable as ZZ has EO solved which means that, with a bit of smartness, you can know where all the necessary pieces are. Also, you don't get any of the worst edge flipped in slot cases for F2L.