• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

summyt8

YouTube
Visit Channel
The main thing on getting sub 20 is to know your f2l cases very well so that you can do them without looking at them, then once you can do that you want to start out turning as slow as necessary in order to have no pauses, and slowly increase your turn speed over time, so your look ahead gets better. A big thing also is to have more efficient f2l and a good place to find efficient algorithms for that is http://algdb.net/Set/F2L , you should mainly focus on the ones where a corner or edge is already in the slot, or the cases where they're next to each other but not oriented correctly. A good cube is not that necessary for getting good times, and neither is color neutrality. Lucas Etter is not color neutral at all, and he holds the NAR average of 6.89, and used to hold the world record single of 4.90. Focusing on F2L is the main thing, as it is the longest step, getting better at last layer will just come with practice. You also want to make sure that you're planning out your cross in inspection so you can also do that without looking. This will allow you to look ahead to your first pair, so there's isn't a huge pause in between cross and f2l.

Good luck!

Matthew Salas

WCA
2017SALA19
So, I started learning Roux 2 or 3 days ago, and I am considering switching from CFOP to either ZZ or Roux. I've been busy, so I haven't learned the LSE step. I think I am learning quickly with this method, but I just want some Roux experts out there to give a few pointers, catch maybe some bad ZZ or CFOP habits, and help with the block building! I use Orange and Red opposite, so that might throw just about everyone off. I did 5 example solves minus the LSE.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoC9Dri4pcJOxoozoii8MkVSQ6GSJmC4C

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
The big thing is you're trying too hard to turn really quickly. Surprisingly, this is a bad thing, because it means you then have to do a frantic search for your next pieces. Calm down, turn slower, and concentrate on seeing what you need to do next.

The second thing is that you rotate the cube alot. Every time you rotate, you have to reposition your fingers which wastes time. It may feel fast, but trust me, it's not. Try practising inserting F2L pieces from every angle.

Duncan Bannon

Im stuck in between 37-59 second times. i need help getting past that 39-59 mark. He are some solves. I use a i 3x3 any tips? Here the video:

I would try to slow down and turn softly. Also I would learn how to finger trick your algorithms, also learn Last Layer algs from Alg.db and Cyotheking.com. Hope it helps.

Duncan Bannon

Just got Sub 20, Quickly went averaging low 18s... how do I start getting towards sub-15?
Scrambles in descriptions of the videos
and
Thanks

I am not sub 15 by any means, so take that info in. While I was watching you, I saw a few things you may be able to improve on. During F2l You rotate quite a bit, I would try to learn how to pair and insert from different angles. Also make sure to do the right rotation, I would try to rotate so you insert into the back, So that you have open slots facing you. Do like a Y not Y’. In PLL instead of doing a rotation do a U or U’ move. Then move the opposite move after PLL. Hope it helps.

Duncan Bannon

Would someone that's good at 2x2 please help me work on my layer building skills. I know most of CLL, but need to work on layers. If I need to do more I will be more than willing too. These are pretty good layers for me. Thanks a million.

R' F U' R U2 F U2 F U2
My layer is, Y2, F2, U', R,U,R'

U R U2 F R F2 U' R2 U'
My layer is, X, Y, U, R', U',R, U', B2, R2,

R U2 F2 U2 F U R2 F' R
My layer is, X', Y', B', U2, R2, U, R2

R U2 F2 U2 F U R2 F' R
My layer is, Z, Y', R2, U2, R,U,R'

R' U2 R F' U2 F' R F' U'
My solution is, X2, Y', U2, R, U', R'

CubingRF

YouTube
Visit Channel
Video link: video

Time: 23.77

Scramble: R' D2 F2 D2 U2 L U2 B2 L R2 D R U2 B2 U2 F U2 L2 U'
Setup: y’ z

x2' z x x // inspection
R' U' R U' U' x' x' F' U U x' y' U R' U // cross
R x' z' U U L' U' L U' U' U' y R U R' // 1st pair
U U y' U U' U' L' U U U L y' U R' U2' R // 2nd pair
U R U' R' // 3rd pair
y' U' R U' R' U y' R' U' R // 4th pair
U' F U R U' R' F' // EOLL
U' L' U R U' L U R' // OCLL
U U U' F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F' // PLL

https://goo.gl/B26DYx

Don't know if this is posted in the correct place, but F2L, cross, and almost everything was horrible. Critique nicely if you can, thanks.

Thom S.

It seemed like the usual:
Inspection not wisely used.
Long and many pauses.
Focused on TPS more then on lookahead.
Used horrible NSC-Sounds Music
your Cross-to-F2L-Transition used too many rotations