• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Shock Oil vs Diff Oil

Shock Oil vs Diff Oil

• Shock Oil

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Diff Oil

Votes: 37 92.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KobaltKour

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys,
when looking around on the forums to find out if I should buy shock oil or differential oil for my GuHong, I couldn't seem to find a thread so I decided to make one.

From my knowledge, differential oil is much thicker and more viscous than shock oil, but which is better?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of either?

What is the best weight for shock oil and differential oil?

Please vote if you use(d) shock oil and/or differential oil and comment on your experience with it.

Thanks guys

mdolszak

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've only used differential oil, but you should get differential oil.
Traxxas is a great brand to get. Their 50k weight is good for 3x3s if you want it fast but controllable, and their 30k weight is good for big cubes and 3x3s if you want it super, super fast.

It seems that most people prefer differential oil, and there is probably a reason for that.

Also, Lubix is pretty much (if not) the same as differential oil, specifically the 50k weight.

aznboii124

WCA
2010DINH01
I guess shock oil is to slow a cube down, I've used it on my ghosthand 2x2 and F2, just because they were too fast.
I've only used shock oil, and my main zhanchi has shock oil in it and it's still very good since I mixed shock oil with silicone spray. I haven't tried to many weights of shock oil, so I can't say exact which weight is better.

BlackStahli

WCA
2011ZENG05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Basically, from what I know:
Shock oil and differential oil are types of silicone oil, just that they are names to separate the types of silicone oils by viscosity. Generally shock oil is (using Traxxas' weight scale) under 1k WT, whereas differential oil is above that. Most people, like me, like to use Traxxas' 50k WT, where it's all viscous and lasts a very long time. However, others prefer shock oil, where it's pretty much the same thing except, due to its lower viscosity, can have different effects. Make the cube faster/slower, lasts longer/shorter, I don't know. I have never tried shock oil before, but I can tell you that Traxxas 50k WT differential oil is really good if you know exactly how much to use in each cube.

KobaltKour

YouTube
Visit Channel
Basically, from what I know:
Shock oil and differential oil are types of silicone oil, just that they are names to separate the types of silicone oils by viscosity. Generally shock oil is (using Traxxas' weight scale) under 1k WT, whereas differential oil is above that. Most people, like me, like to use Traxxas' 50k WT, where it's all viscous and lasts a very long time. However, others prefer shock oil, where it's pretty much the same thing except, due to its lower viscosity, can have different effects. Make the cube faster/slower, lasts longer/shorter, I don't know. I have never tried shock oil before, but I can tell you that Traxxas 50k WT differential oil is really good if you know exactly how much to use in each cube.
If I purchased 30K diff oil (only one available on Ebay Australia) would putting a bit more in achieve similar effects to 50K?

Schmidt

WCA
2012SCHM07
I tried with 50000 and some spray to make it a bit thinner. It worked out pretty good. I had the 50K in a syringe and then I sprayed some sili in to it by using a drinking straw to make it a little more controllable.

Status
Not open for further replies.