• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Blindfold Cubing Discussion

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
TellerWest
This is pretty much exactly what Noah uses, only he has a clever parity fix method and he uses 3-style.

I use the exact same method (same buffers, same parity fix and same memo).

So thanks Noah, I copied everything off of you!
Ok, so I've started doing this. Now I don't have to do a parity algorithm at all...it's brilliant!

So thanks to you and Noah for making me smarter and more effective at BLD!

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
TellerWest
I just did my first 3-cycle in a solve! I've enjoyed Noah giving me a headache with his 3-cycle corners videos for a couple of weeks now, and today I noticed a really easy pure commutator and slipped it into my execution and it worked! What an amazing feeling, and SOOO much faster than doing 4 Y-Perms! Woohoo! I'm on my way!

Thank you thank you thank you Noah!!! You rock!!!

Hari

WCA
2013ANIR01
YouTube
Hari Anirudh
anyone has their pre made letter pair words sheet? if you have, please upload.
If I remember correctly, you can search for Chris Hardwick's list online and even the speedsolving wiki one which I think you're aware of. I thought you already had a list. Because after I had asked you on fb whether you had one or not, I made my own list.(for all possible occurring letter pairs for the corners)

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
TellerWest
I like to use people and fictional characters a lot. They're easier to remember, I suppose because humans are social creatures. anyway, I use:

GS - Gene Simmons
PS - Paul Stanley
AF - Ace Frehely
PC - Peter Chris
KS - KisS (all 4 of them, acting all cheesy like they did in that awful movie, "Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park.")

They always have their makeup on, naturally. Except for Gene Simmons sometimes.

What funny to me is that even if I don't get those letters, Gene Simmons remains much of the time. He's sort of standing there with me witnessing the image, and commenting on it. Also, he's never really happy about being there. It's beneath him to be used in this fashion, but he's all about excellence, so he does his duty. He'll praise or criticize my image, and occasionally grumble about having to do this with me. None of this interaction contributes to the image itself, but it seems to make it stick better. I can recall it as if it really happened. Fun!

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
IRNjuggle28
What would you do if there was a spider on you during Multi?

If I was certain there was a spider on me I would probably give up the attempt and get rid of it. Also I guess if it was official no one would be allowed to tell you or get it off you.
I'm not really afraid of spiders, but even if I was, I think I would stick to brushing it off with my hand without removing the blindfold. Good question, though. :D

Iggy

WCA
2012SEVE01
YouTube
ToaIggy
What would you do if there was a spider on you during Multi?

If I was certain there was a spider on me I would probably give up the attempt and get rid of it. Also I guess if it was official no one would be allowed to tell you or get it off you.
I'd probably start freaking out and just give up the attempt :p

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
When you say "spider", you probably mean something a lot more scary than when I say "spider", since you're from New Zealand. I would ignore my spider :p

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
c/TomNelson1
When you say "spider", you probably mean something a lot more scary than when I say "spider", since you're from New Zealand. I would ignore my spider :p
You're probably thinking of Australia. I've seen some terrifying spiders there. New Zealand isn't too bad from my experience, but I'm still a little bit scared of spiders.

More random blindfold cubing discussion: Single letter images seem not to be recommended, but I use them anyway when I have odd targets.
Here's my list if you're curious. It has some weird ones.

A - Test paper with a big green "A" on it, or some kind of grading thing
B - Trollface
C - Corn chips
D - Dee from "It's always sunny in Philadelphia"
E - Ecstasy
F - Same as A but with a red "F"
G - Goosebumps
H - An H in harry potter font
I - Eye
J - Jay (person) or a joint
K - "K" on a piece of paper with the KKK in the background
L - "L" from death note
M - McDonald's
N - "Near" from death note
O - A ring shaped thing
P - A purple "P" on a piece of paper
Q - Q-tip
R - "R" from warm bodies
S - Superman symbol / Superman
T - Cup of tea with a "T" on the mug or floating in the tea.
U - Logo from a TV channel
V - V energy drink
W - "W" on a piece of paper
X - A map with a big "X" on it
W and P need to change (U's a bit vague too). For 'P' I don't use pea because that's for 'PE'. But that's strange because 'TE' is tea, yet I use that for 'T' without problems. I evade it slightly by putting a "T" on or in the cup if it's single. I should start doing that with 'P'.

If I have 1 twist/flip, I only memo the sticker that I need to. For 2 It's another letter pair.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
I went to a brunch my friend Paul hosted at his house this past weekend. Paul had also invited a coworker from the faculty at the university where he teaches, as well as her husband and 1 year old daughter. Paul asked me to do a Rubik's cube demo blindsolve for them. Paul has an old Rubik's brand from the late 1990s/early 2000s and it is not lubed or fixed up in any way. His cube also has the (now older?) Japanese color scheme whereas I usually use American/European/(Modern Japanese?) color scheme. In this color scheme blue and yellow are switched from the more standard color scheme of today.

Before they asked me to do this solve I hadn't done a blindsolve in a few weeks, and it's probably been close to a month. I got the solve successfully, and the time was probably 3-4 minutes as turning the cube was difficult, and I had to pay extra attention to the blue/yellow colors being swapped during memo. It feels great to know that I have trained well enough in the past that I can still solve blindfolded with good accuracy rate even with a different color scheme, on a not great cube, with no warm-up or even having practiced for weeks. That's probably something weird to feel good about, but nevertheless it did feel good :)

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
kinch2002
I have now met all my 'father figures' for bld :)

I learnt 3bld from Macky's site. I met him at Benelux Open 2010
I learnt 4bld edges from Erik's site. I met him at Benelux Open 2010
I learnt 4bld centres from Chris Hardwick's thread on this site. I met him at World Champs 2011.
Alongside Chris, Mike Hughey and Mats Bergsten were my inspirations and encouragers on this forum. I met Mike at World Champs 2013 and finally Mats at Euro 2014

Although I am no longer active as a bld solver, these events were no doubt a major part of my cubing 'career', and I was excited to meet each of these people!
I hope that I have managed to help spawn a newer generation myself over the last few years :)

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
I have now met all my 'father figures' for bld :)

I learnt 3bld from Macky's site. I met him at Benelux Open 2010
I learnt 4bld edges from Erik's site. I met him at Benelux Open 2010
I learnt 4bld centres from Chris Hardwick's thread on this site. I met him at World Champs 2011.
Alongside Chris, Mike Hughey and Mats Bergsten were my inspirations and encouragers on this forum. I met Mike at World Champs 2013 and finally Mats at Euro 2014

Although I am no longer active as a bld solver, these events were no doubt a major part of my cubing 'career', and I was excited to meet each of these people!
I hope that I have managed to help spawn a newer generation myself over the last few years :)
Very cool! I feel honored to be a part of this group :) In my case I can definitely say the student far surpassed the teacher :)

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
mathtornado7
An example solve for 5-style edges:

Scramble: D2 B' F U2 R2 F' U2 R2 F R2 U2 R U L R' B' U F D2 L2 F'

[D R L': U' M' U2 M U' M' U2 M U2]
[Bw: U M U2 M U M' U2 M' U M' U M]
x2 [F: [U' R U, M2]]

39 stm, very efficient compared to 79 stm with M2, and a little less than 50 stm for 3-style. It would be even more efficient if it was all 5-cycles and not 2 5-cycles plus a 3-cycle at the end.

supercuber1

Hey everybody! I really want to get into blind solving, but it seems like such a big challenge! Any good tutorials/tips out there that I could go to? And is it really as hard as it sounds?

Genius4Jesus

WCA
2013ESPA01
YouTube
Genius4JesusCubing