• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Blindfold Cubing Discussion

NanoTimer

Hi all,

I am looking for people who are interested in beta testing my Android timer "Nano Timer".

I'm asking here because I just added a special blind solve type that allows you to see blind-specific statistics like the last/best means of 3, your global success rate (accuracy), your success rate for the last 12/50/100 solves as well as the average of your last 12/50/100 successes (with also of course the normal things like lifetime best, global average etc). I'm really looking forward to hearing your opinions about it, and if you have any suggestions about things you would change or add.

If you are interested in testing it, send me the mail address you are using in Google Play and I'll add you to the beta testers list.

STOCKY7

WCA
2011STOC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi all,

I am looking for people who are interested in beta testing my Android timer "Nano Timer".

I'm asking here because I just added a special blind solve type that allows you to see blind-specific statistics like the last/best means of 3, your global success rate (accuracy), your success rate for the last 12/50/100 solves as well as the average of your last 12/50/100 successes (with also of course the normal things like lifetime best, global average etc). I'm really looking forward to hearing your opinions about it, and if you have any suggestions about things you would change or add.

If you are interested in testing it, send me the mail address you are using in Google Play and I'll add you to the beta testers list.

I'm sure you've probably got this covered already, but I find timers that don't time your memo to be not very helpful. For me, knowing my memo/execution splits is very important to me.

NanoTimer

I'm sure you've probably got this covered already, but I find timers that don't time your memo to be not very helpful. For me, knowing my memo/execution splits is very important to me.

The goal of the new blind mode is to have blind-specific statistics, like accuracy, average of successes and mean of 3. The timer behavior itself is the same than for normal solves.

However you can still do what you described. You can define your own solve types (to keep a separate history, like to test new methods, do one-handed, blindfolded, etc). And you can add some steps to these solve types. So all you would have to do is create a "Blind steps" solve type, add 2 steps to it (memo and execution), and you're good to go. That will allow you to get averages of 5/12/50/100 on these steps you defined.

The beta test just ended today, the new version is now released. I'll update the "Nano Timer" topic in Software Area with the new changes.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just noticed that if you take the sexy move at the start of the T perm, and move it to the end, it becomes the modified Y perm used in OP:

R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F'

R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U'

Has anyone noticed this before? I'm thinking that this would be a better alg to teach to beginners learning OP as they know the T perm already, and this saves them learning a completely new alg.

btw, this alg is also the other Y perm with the first and last moves removed, but I didn't realize that until later.

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm thinking that this would be a better alg to teach to beginners learning OP as they know the T perm already, and this saves them learning a completely new alg.

Completely new alg? It's the same kind of T perm variation. My page even says so.

Last edited:

pinser

WCA
2016GOHT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What's the fastest way to remove a cube cover?
I think Porky's way is fast, but what if the judge goes to pick up the cube cover on the floor and can't get back fast enough to hold the paper in front of the cube?
And can you lift up the cube cover with one hand and pick up the cube with the other?

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
What's the fastest way to remove a cube cover?
I think Porky's way is fast, but what if the judge goes to pick up the cube cover on the floor and can't get back fast enough to hold the paper in front of the cube?
And can you lift up the cube cover with one hand and pick up the cube with the other?

Most important thing in blind solving :D

But okay.

I lift the cover with my right hand and pick up the cube with my left. And while already starting to memo I just place the cover somewhere to my right...

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The regulations don't require the cover to be removed using hands. You could wear a hat with a rope and attach it to the cover, bowing down deep. Then start the timer with your hands and tilt your head up to the normal position so that the cover swings over your head and behind your back.

Bindedsa

WCA
2014NURU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The regulations don't require the cover to be removed using hands. You could wear a hat with a rope and attach it to the cover, bowing down deep. Then start the timer with your hands and tilt your head up to the normal position so that the cover swings over your head and behind your back.

Why not a rope attached to your leg? Then you could start with you head still, you'd just have to make sure the box doesn't move the cube.

Randomno

Banned
WCA
2014STAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Especially inspection while the cube is still covered (hey, can't be much more difficult than telekinesis).

Learn how to slow down time.

1. Sit down at solving station.
2. Temporarily slow down time.
3. Take cover off using telekinesis.
4. Inspect cube, using telekinesis to rotate the cube.
5. Replace cover.
6. Resume time to normal speed.
7. Sub Maskow.

STOCKY7

WCA
2011STOC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Learn how to slow down time.

1. Sit down at solving station.
2. Temporarily slow down time.
3. Take cover off using telekinesis.
4. Inspect cube, using telekinesis to rotate the cube.
5. Replace cover.
6. Resume time to normal speed.
7. Sub Maskow.
^this is a REALLY good idea! Why has no-one tried this?!

On the serious side, why not (to save the hassle if solving it physically) just solve it while it's still in the box with telekinesis ?

Feryll

Is there any utility to being able to "choose" from multiple memo cues for a given target? I use actor-action pair memo for corners and X-centers, and I've more recently started to integrate two to four different possible actions per location, as it helps "involve" me more in making a memorable story during a memo, and keeps me from getting fatigued in big BLD when I have to reuse schemes multiple times for a cube. Anyone else tried this with success/failure?

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there any utility to being able to "choose" from multiple memo cues for a given target? I use actor-action pair memo for corners and X-centers, and I've more recently started to integrate two to four different possible actions per location, as it helps "involve" me more in making a memorable story during a memo, and keeps me from getting fatigued in big BLD when I have to reuse schemes multiple times for a cube. Anyone else tried this with success/failure?

Yep, I think a lot of top BLDers do this. I have 2 or 3 different words to choose from for each letter pair for big BLD, but I tend to use one 'set' word for each letter pair for 3BLD (to reduce thinking time).

Just practice lots of solves/revise a list of words and it'll come naturally