• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Pyraminx FMC competition/submissions

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wanted to know if pyraminx FMC has been done by cubers in present or past.

1 hour for pyraminx FMC is an overkill and it is tough to one look in 15 seconds of inspection everytime, so a time limit of 5 minutes per pyra FMC sounds right.

Imsoosm

1 hour for pyraminx FMC is an overkill and it is tough to one look in 15 seconds of inspection everytime, so a time limit of 5 minutes per pyra FMC sounds right.
I was thinking the same thing with 2x2 FMC, except maybe reduce the time limit to 10-15 minutes. I'm organizing it in my online comp so we'll see how that goes.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
For a live competition, I suppose either 2x2x2 or pyraminx might be possible, since you can watch to prevent cheating. I assume the way to go would be to provide a much longer scramble, perhaps by adding moves at beginning and end like 3x3x3, to prevent reverse scrambles. But you'd want to be very careful how it's done to make sure reverse scramble tricks aren't possible.

For online competitions, I think pyraminx and 2x2x2 FMC are both completely unworkable. With a God's Number of 11 for both puzzles, it would be impossible to reject someone's claim that they simply lucked into an optimal solution, so requiring reasons for the solve doesn't work like it does in 3x3x3.

Also, clearly single WRs would clearly be ridiculous for either of these. Any competition would need to do some sort of mean to have any value at all.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Both sound too short to be interesting. I would like to see if people have the mental endurance to do 4x4 FMC though. What about squan FMC?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
like wtf does this mean https://speedcubedb.com/r/7675

y2 inspection
0-2/20/-2-1/U'/ CS
01/W/F'/ OBL Baron/Dish

4-5/B'/u/F/U2/-4-3 PBL Pa/Kb

That's Karnotation, invented by Daniel Karnaukh to make it easier to learn large Square-1 algsets (and to make reconstructions quicker to write for people who know it).
If you check this link (click here) it shows the standard notation underneath each line. Click here for the full spreadsheet for Karnotation.

Wholesome side note: While searching for the Karnotation spreadsheet I came across this section on Wikipedia and low-key freaked out that my friend (Daniel Karnaukh) got an entire section dedicated to his notation on Wikipedia?!?! I know anyone can edit Wikipedia but the fact that it *wasn't* him and that it was deemed important enough to get its own section just made my day :)

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For a live competition, I suppose either 2x2x2 or pyraminx might be possible, since you can watch to prevent cheating. I assume the way to go would be to provide a much longer scramble, perhaps by adding moves at beginning and end like 3x3x3, to prevent reverse scrambles. But you'd want to be very careful how it's done to make sure reverse scramble tricks aren't possible.

For online competitions, I think pyraminx and 2x2x2 FMC are both completely unworkable. With a God's Number of 11 for both puzzles, it would be impossible to reject someone's claim that they simply lucked into an optimal solution, so requiring reasons for the solve doesn't work like it does in 3x3x3.

Also, clearly single WRs would clearly be ridiculous for either of these. Any competition would need to do some sort of mean to have any value at all.
A few details that I missed in the header post.

I am aiming to have this for online competitions and only for top solvers. Top solvers generally care about one looking the solution and discussing various interesting solutions/starts. If that can be done in written format without solve times involved, it would be a good place for top solvers to discuss their ability to inspect solutions and submit their best one.

Reactions: qwr

Silky

This could be pretty interesting! It's basically a DR solved 3x3 with restrictions, HTR could be awesome if humanly viable, and there would be interesting ways of solving that are not like traditional methods (i.e. CS(P) is not the first step, think more like @trangium 's Yoyleberry method from a while back)
Could be wrong but I don't believe HTR would do anything useful. HTR leaves you with Equator flip, U/D face flip, and Kite Kite. HTR is double domino reduction which is DR applied against 2 axi. Square-1 lacks this extra axis.

I believe all events have been done FMC. Check UWR on wiki. Definitely a great idea tho. I'd love to see some FTO FMC ( #FTO for WCA ). I think it's a great way to test unconventional ideas and a way to push boundaries for events.

I'd also love to see megaminx. I think that there is so much potential to use psuedo/freesolving during S2L

Last edited: