• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Pyraminx Discussion

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Learn L4E. It's a super easy transition from LBL(learned it last night in about 10 minutes) and still a world-class method.

Top pyraminx users know all the major methods, because not all scrambles are best with just one single method. Sometimes LBL is best, sometimes keyhole, sometimes l4e, etc. So learn all of them.

Top-first users use a bunch of top-first methods, v-first solvers use L4E

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Not really, you need to know like 5 methods. I still don't understand top first
Basically, there’s a method that’s best for each scramble. 1Flip, is for when you have 1 edge flipped around a center, and then you solve the other 2 edges relative to the top or, 3 centers and 3 edges. Oka Is when you just have 2 solved, I believe (i haven’t done pyra in a while) you solve 2 edges On a top, then use an alg to permute centers and solve your last edge, and then L3E. Keyhole, you solve centers and last edge intuitively, WO is when all edges are solved on your top, and I don’t remember what Nutella is.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Anyone use nutella? I am seriously considering it. Also, is there any where to see the algs visualized?
Drew Brads I think is the fastest Pyra solver to use top first (who inspired me to learn it) and he uses all the different methods. He has a video on all the cases for WO and Nutella, (posted in the spoiler) and he has all the algs in the description. That video and this link is what I used to learn all the cases. https://www.cuberoot.me/pyraminx-1-flip-wo-nutella/
Also how fast could you probably get with it?
Just as Drew mentions in the video, I would not worry to much about learning these cases (unless you just want to learn them for the sake of it) until you are sub 4 or 3, especially since the cases for those methods don't come all that often, and when they do they may not save you that much time (especially if you are not sub 4 yet).

I personally like them and really enjoyed learning them, so hopefully you do as well, and once you do (or even before that) I would highly recommend that you learn to one look your pyra solves as much as possible, which Drew has a video on that as well.

So I think I’m gonna learn top first, but what order should I learn them in? For example, keyhole, oka, 1-flip, Nutella, WO, or something like that.
So I have always used top first for Pyra, pretty much soon after learning how to solve a Pyraminx. I first learned 1-flip which I used for a while, then I learned Keyhole and OKA at the same time which I used for a year or so before learning Nutella and WO. I don't personally have a order I would recommend learing them in (you could almost do them all at once, which is what I did with Nutella and WO), but if you want to learn one at a time pick whichever one you like best and go from there. I liked 1-flip best (especially since a lot of solves have good cases for that, but again that is up to you.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Usually it is best to take the flipped piece out while solving a piece already in the top layer. This can be done with basic R U and L U inserts as well as sledges and hedges. It just take some experimentation with cases to find what has the least moves.

brododragon

In terms of simply the first step, V is a little harder, but top is a stepping stone. This is because you can simply solve top, then the centers with the unsolved slot.

pi³

I have been recently using the "Petrus" method for Pyraminx (read here). Does anybody know how to recognize which edges are misoriented and which ones are flipped correctly quickly? Because the method I'm currently using is time consuming.

MasterMind

I am at 20 second o pyraminx and I am trying to get faster.I just am not able to find any turtiorials that make me faster.How i solve my praminx is sove the tips then connect all the yellow tips then solve the yellow side then solve the whole pyraminx