• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Pyraminx Discussion

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
TheNextFeliks
Pyraminx Help Needed

I am really slow at pyraminx. I avg like 12-15 seconds. I usually use lbl but will use oka if easy. How can I improve my times. I practice some. I can post some solves if you want.

Note: I did a lot of searching and could not find a thread that explains this or a designated pyraminx thread. If there is one, my apologies mods.

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
TheNextFeliks
Pyraminx Thread

Got this with search: "pyraminx thread".

I found keyhole easier than oka though they're similar in some ways. I am going to make a video sometime about the method but for now you can check out Erik's tutorial.

My current PBs are with keyhole.
Oh. I was searching for pyraminx help and things like that. Mods could you please move this thread? Sorry.

What is the difference between keyhole and oka? Idk which I actually am using. I'll check out that tutorial. Thanks.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
sneaklyfox
Erik's tutorial is the keyhole method. Even if you want to learn oka, I suggest you learn keyhole first because oka uses a "keyhole" as well. The only difference is that one of the oka's first two adjacent edges is not actually solved but belongs in the other edge spot.

Last edited:

Qthulu

Does anyone have a superflip algorithm for the Pyraminx? I looked for it, but couldn't find it.

BrainOfSweden

Premium Member
YouTube
BrainOfCubing
So I learned how to solve a Pyraminx last week, and I'm now stuck at my first barrier. I got to sub-20 in a day, and I get the occassional sub-15 solves, but I have a hard time getting sub-15 averages, so that I can continue on to sub-10. So far I know some kind of beginners method, WO (but no advanced algs really, just the basic principle), keyhole and one-flip. I'm not 100% comfortable with all algs yet, so I have to work on execution, but I also feel that my recognition is lacking. I suppose just solving more would improve that, but I'd like some tips.
First of all, I often look at edges instead of centers, so especially in one-flip, that makes me do the wrong algs. But I'm also terribly slow at recognizing the LL algs. Would you recommend that I learn them from all angles? I do know the 2-flip (if that's what it's called) from all angles, and obviously the 3-cycle, as it's always the same. But for the 3-cycle with two unoriented edges, I always have to rotate the puzzle before execution.

jayefbe

WCA
2013BAHR02
I don't know if I would call that a barrier. It's been a week. Just practice should do wonders. As far as additional algs, if you're having trouble with recognition and execution with what you know so far, I would focus on getting those down first.

I'm sorta in the same boat, I'm just getting into pyraminx and want to not be horrible when I compete in it at worlds. I'm just using keyhole and got to about ~15s average after a couple days. The vast majority of the time was spent really working on the "LL" step, learning how to recognize them and coming up with fast "finger" tricks to solve them. After that its all execution, which only comes from practice.

BrainOfSweden

Premium Member
YouTube
BrainOfCubing
Well, a minor bump then ;) And I guess you're right. I just figured thos algs are really easy from all angles though, but now I need to work on recognition, which comes naturally I guess. I really need to work on recognizing a good start on every solve too. But I have quite some more time to practice than you, I want to not be horrible at the Swedish Championships, and that's in September :p

jayefbe

WCA
2013BAHR02
I found recognition to be more difficult on pyraminx than something like OLL or PLL on 3x3. For keyhole there's 9 cases for the last step. I actually sat down and looked for patterns in all of the cases so I could recognize them quickly. Practicing alone wasn't really all that helpful for me.

I'm also working on the first step. It's nice when there's an edge already paired, but I need to work on producing that first "block" quickly and efficiently in all cases.

BrainOfSweden

Premium Member
YouTube
BrainOfCubing
I feel you man. If there's at least one paired egde, or misoriented for that matter (one-flip), I have no problem finding a decent start, but building the first layer from scratch I something I struggle with. If I don't find any easy pairs, I usually start with a side that has at least one center oriented instead, on which I orient the rest and then I insert two edges and continue with keyhole as usual. It's not as efficient though, but that's actually how I started solving, and I thought that it was proper keyhole until I saw a tutorial ;)

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Not really sure of a better place to post this, but I've just been messing around trying to find a Pyraminx 4flip for the L4E case. It's my worst case atm. I came up with: y' L R U R' Dw R' L' U' L
Flipping FD FL FR RL edges.
My solution is basically breaking up the bad case and doing a different one. There's no solver AFAIK.

Evan Liu

WCA
2009LIUE01
YouTube
channel/UC9ZlPB5lZmX4byumwK1FrHA
Not really sure of a better place to post this, but I've just been messing around trying to find a Pyraminx 4flip for the L4E case. It's my worst case atm. I came up with: y' L R U R' Dw R' L' U' L
Flipping FD FL FR RL edges.
My solution is basically breaking up the bad case and doing a different one. There's no solver AFAIK.
Umbrella
(Thread)
I know it's been almost two years, but you even posted in the thread :p