• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Personal Progress Threads. READ IF YOU HAVE ONE OR PLAN TO MAKE ONE.

Is this a good idea?

• Total voters

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am aware that back in September 2019 I started the trend of making personal progress threads, called ‘My Quest for Sub 8 Petrus’. So I feel any cluttering or useless threads coming from this is my responsibility, which is why I’m making this post. The start of the year to now has seen an explosion of these types of thread. Some of these threads are perfectly fine, are updated regularly, and have a good topic. Good examples include the Morrison brothers’ threads, as well as @brododragon and @ProStar ‘s threads. And there are many other
threads as well which I feel are within their place. But a few I think are stepping over the line, and more might follow in future. Some people think most of the progress threads are useless, unoriginal, and they don’t want to see them. I personally don’t think this, but some threads (and there are probably more) I think are just plain unoriginal, lazy, and cluttering. An example is @cubesolver ‘s thread. It copies @whaffle ‘s thread basically word for word, which was already a copy of my original progress thread (but different enough I’ll let it slide).
Note these two are new members to the forum. I don’t mean to point the finger at new members - we were all new at one point, but if you think about it, they are the least knowledgable about the forums and most likely to rush into things. And I think we’ll be seeing more of these copied, new member threads soon enough if we don’t do something about it.
So I think something like this post needs to be created, guidelines on progress threads.
  1. You must not have more than 1 progress thread. You may specify one particular event/goal for your thread though, as long as you keep future goals in that thread.
  2. Your progress thread must be noted down here.
  3. You must either be more than 1 month old on this forum, or have posted at least 20 messages.
  4. Your progress thread must be reasonably active
  5. There is to be no copying of other people’s threads.
  6. Your progress thread should contain actual progress, PBs, tips, etc.
And if a moderator is to agree to this, I think threads should be given a couple of warnings on breaking those rules, before being deleted, to prevent clutter. I also think a sub forum should be created for progress threads, and the ability to filter what sub forums you want to see, for people who just don’t want to see any threads of this nature. Active threads could be stickied, and unstickied once they become inactive, and deleted. Pending threads could go in the normal section.
List of active progress threads:
My Quest for Sub 8 Petrus, @PetrusQuber
Quest for Sub 8 Hawaiian Kociemba, @Cubingcubecuber
Nmile7300’s Progress Thread, @Nmile7300
Owen’s Progress Thread, @Owen Morrison
Micah Morrison’s Quest to Become World Class, @Micah Morrison
Sub1Hour’s Quest for a White Jacket, @Sub1Hour
The Quest to Get Faster, @brododragon
My Cubing Journey, @ProStar
My Progress, @BenChristman1
The Quest for Sub 15 OH with YruRu, @CuberStache

Post if you have a thread to be added to the list. I can’t actually do much about threads breaking rules apart from reporting, but moderators can.
If you dislike my ideas talk about it here. @pjk what do you think?
And that’s my longest post ever in one go.

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
A couple of people said it cluttered the forum, and wasn't really unique enough, I somewhat agreed with them.
I really thought it was fine, I think they were talking about more obscure threads, and to not make them for all your different goals. Putting it all on a website gets less views.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I don't really like the idea of having to post in it every 2 weeks. I don't post in my thread to make a deadline, but to update whenever something notable happens. If a deadline is added, then it's likely that productive threads will end up with useless posts so that they can qualify

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't really like the idea of having to post in it every 2 weeks. I don't post in my thread to make a deadline, but to update whenever something notable happens. If a deadline is added, then it's likely that productive threads will end up with useless posts so that they can qualify
It‘s just an idea, and anyway, it’s to make sure your thread isn’t dead, not to keep you posting. It can be lengthened if you want - I think most threads update at least once every couple of weeks anyway. I’ll change the rule.

brododragon

Post if you have a thread to be added to the list. I can’t actually do much about threads breaking rules apart from reporting, but moderators can.
If you dislike my ideas talk about it here. @pjk what do you think?
And that’s my longest post ever in one go.
I don't think pjk has notifs for mentions.
Good examples include the Morrison brothers’ threads, as well as @brododragon and @ProStar ‘s threads.
:cool:
My Quest for Sub 8 Petrus, @PetrusQuber
Quest for Sub 8 Hawaiian Kociemba, @Cubingcubecuber
Nmile7300’s Progress Thread, @Nmile7300
Owen’s Progress Thread, @Owen Morrison
:(

I think a sub-forum would be a good idea.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I made my thread before it was a trend :)

Also I'd link each thread in the list
Will do.
I don't think pjk has notifs for mentions.

:cool:

:(

I think a sub-forum would be a good idea.
I only added people who said they had a thread, to make sure I wasn’t putting down inactive threads or anything. I’ll put yours I guess.

Ok @brododragon you’ve been added.

@ProStar do you want to be added? This might actually come out to nothing if a mod doesn’t approve, and it’ll just be a rules post, but still.

Last edited by a moderator: