• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Quest to sub-15 OH with YruRU

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I didn't think I'd be making a quest thread, but here we are! I think the YruRU method has a lot of potential for one-handed solving and I want to push it as far as I can. Sub-15 would be unquestionably faster than my current OH CFOP average, so that's my goal. I'll update the thread every week with goals/progress, just like @PetrusQuber with his original quest. I hope this method gets more popular as it continues to be developed and improved! Thanks so much to @Devagio for creating this method!

Current average: ~27
Weaknesses: Overinspecting, EO recognition, messing up tracing sometimes
2GLLS known: 44/84 (way more than I thought before I counted lol)
What I'm working on this week:
  • Inspection: I overinspect on like 90% of my solves, so I'll be working on tracing CP faster
  • EO: There was a new method of doing EO proposed today, so I'll be learning that and implementing it into my solves, which should shave off several seconds of fumbling around with EO
  • Messing up tracing: I think the main problem here is being unfamiliar with the numbering system. I need to look at the Y/R/B corner and instantly know it's #2. This is a problem both for inspection speed and inspection accuracy. I think the only way to improve this is grinding solves.
  • Finishing L 2GLLS (would put me at 48 cases known)
Current average: ~22 (-5 seconds :O)
  • My main weakness is still overinspecting. I switched to the 2GR system of tracing for a while, but there were recently some optimizations to the YruRU tracing introduced, so I'll be looking into that.
  • I learned all Ls as planned, and I also went ahead and learned the Hs. So 56/84 2GLLs.
  • This week I'll be working on learning how to optimize YruRU inspection and learning some of the particularly bad EO cases.
  • Also, my goal is to learn all Pi 2GLLs this week, and I might start on Sune after I'm done with that.
  • I've been asked to record an ao5. I think I'll wait to do this until I can inspect within 15 seconds for all 5 solves. So it could be this week or it could be a couple more. Sorry, I'm in a way still learning the method.
Current average ~22
  • I didn't improve much this week since my time was mainly spent learning advanced tracing and pEO. I can do the advanced tracing pretty consistently, but not quite sub-15 yet.
  • pEO is good, but it's still a little difficult to recognize in solves. That should get better with practice.
  • I learned all Pi 2GLLs, but I need to train them more because I don't know them that well. (66/84)
  • By next week, my goal is to learn all Sune 2GLLs and inspect sub-15 almost every time.
  • I competed in OH at C@H4 and got a 21.26 average, although that included a counting 18 with CFOP since I was running out of inspection time. Also, I messed up CP on one solve and +2ed for inspection on another.
  • So yeah, not much happened this week, but I'm learning things that will lead to an improvement in the future rather than right now.
Current average: ~22
  • Inspection is way better this week. Sub-15 almost all the time. I'll start recording some solves and post an ao5/ao12 later this week
  • I didn't learn all the Sune cases as I planned. I'm at 7/12 Sune cases, or 70/84 overall
  • I will learn the rest of Sune this week and I'll start on Antisune
Current Average: ~21
  • Kinda slacked on learning the 2GLLs I meant to learn. I learned a few antisunes so I'm at 8/12 antisunes and 80/84 overall.
  • I'll finish today! Full 2GLL next week!
  • I had some good sessions early in the week but didn't practice a whole lot the rest of the time
  • Got some PB averages, 18.73 ao5, 20.08 ao12, and 21.09 ao50
  • I guess I can set average goals now: sub-20 ao12 and sub-21 ao50 for this week.
Current Average: ~21
  • I finished full 2GLL! All 84 algs! So no more updates on how many 2GLLs I know, haha. I still need to train the sune and antisune ones more though.
  • I didn't do any serious sessions last week; I kinda got distracted with other events because I got new puzzles. So unfortunately I didn't meet the goals I set last week, but I'll keep them for this week: sub-20 ao12 and sub-21 ao50.
  • I'll try to do more intuitive pEO extensions and see how that goes. That's a new thing that could be very good.
Current average: ~21
  • Most of my practice was either untimed or not put into csTimer so no new average PBs. I'm averaging like 21-22 still.
  • 2GLL recog could be better, practice will improve that slowly
  • I switched to the MS 3x3 and switched yellow to black because why not...?
  • I'll work on intuitive pEO extension, mostly paying attention to the orientation of the edge that ends up in DB when centers are correct
  • I still do some EO cases badly, I'll learn them from the github page
  • Hopefully I can practice a lot and get some noticeable improvement this week!
Current average: ~20
  • I got a PB for every amount of solves I track PBs in, including an 11.73 single!
  • I'll now make a goal for a sub-20 ao100 that hopfeully I can achieve in only a couple weeks
  • I'll do some Chris Olson-style example solves today and post them later, check those out!
  • ao50 is sub-20 now, ao100 is close
  • I competed at C@H 1.1 and got an 18.20 pure sub-20 average, which is very good! I'll be trying to get the scrambles and doing walkthroughs of the solves, like the video I posted last week. There were two large mistakes, one incorrect tracing and one wrong 2GLL, so it could have been a PB ao5. Oh well, I'll do better next time :)
  • I switched back to the normal color scheme because if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • I got a Switch so my practice time has dropped significantly :p
  • I'll make a goal for this week: sub-20 ao100.
  • Really not much happened last week, as I said, I got a Switch so I've been spending too much time playing video games lol
  • I think my goal for this week will be to do 50 solves each of megaminx and OH every day to keep my practice up
  • sub-20 ao100 soon?
  • 50 solves each of megaminx and OH turned out to be a completely unreasonable goal for me so I'll just try to do some of each with no particular amount of solves as a goal
  • I got a sub-20 ao100! So I am now officially sub-20! I also have a 19.18 ao50 so sub-19 is near o_O
  • I competed in C@H this week but there was no OH, unfortunately. I did get second in megaminx though so that's cool.
  • I think I want to start streaming on twitch soon... more updates to come ;)
  • Steady improvement, shaved a few tenths off my PB ao100
  • I definitely feel comfortably sub-20, sub-19 even, but I still have really bad solves on occasion that drag down my big averages. I'll be trying to figure out why that is and working on fixing it
  • I started streaming on twitch! I did some megaminx and some YruRU solves, which is the plan for future streams for now. Stop by www.twitch.tv/cuberstache on Monday at 1 PM PDT to watch!
  • Streaming Mondays at 1 PM PDT at www.twitch.tv/cuberstache!
  • I'm a bit late on updating this but I got some PB averages on stream! Including a sub-19 ao50! I'm basically sub-19, it's just a few really bad solves holding back my ao100. Soon!
  • I now stream on both Monday and Friday at 1 PM Pacific Time, check it out at www.twitch.tv/cuberstache
  • I lowered my ao100 to 19.07, which is not sub-19 yet
  • I competed in C@H 1.4 and got a 17.23 OH average! The scrambles were pretty good and I got a great average!
  • I also got first in megaminx and second in kilominx so that was cool
  • sub-19 ao100 pls
  • Got sub-19 ao100!! So I average 18 now
  • It's stable under 19 now and my best is already 18.59 so sub-18 soon???? I have a sub-18 ao25 already...
  • I think what really pushed me over was not getting many terrible solves, like over 23. Before, there were enough of those to bring my ao100 up pretty significantly, even if the majority of my times were sub-18.
  • I stream my OH practice on Mondays and Fridays 1-3 PM PDT at www.twitch.tv/cuberstache
  • I had a really good session on Monday and dropped my ao12 to 16.88. If I keep this up, sub-18 ao50 should come soon.
  • Not much to update this week tbh
  • I stream my OH practice on Mondays and Fridays 1-3 PM PDT at www.twitch.tv/cuberstache
  • Streaming Mondays and Fridays 1-3 PM PDT at www.twitch.tv/cuberstache
  • Sub-18 ao50! I've so quickly gone from sub-19 to sub-18, but I won't consider myself sub-18 until I get an ao100
  • I'm close already, 18.12 PB ao100, my current one is a bit worse though
  • I reconstructed my PB ao12 that I also got this week, check it out on the reconstruction thread
  • sub-18 ao100 soon!
  • This was a slow week. I didn't practice much except on stream (www.twitch.tv/cuberstache) so I didn't really make any progress. I've just been focusing on other things
  • I got a sub-18 ao100! So I now consider myself to be sub-18. Also, this is a faster ao100 than the person who created the method :cool:
  • In addition, I got a PB for every other average; 5, 12, 25, 50, and 100!
  • I'll probably reconstruct the ao12 this week as it was on stream but that sounds like a lot of work :/
  • Still streaming on Mondays and Fridays from 1-3 PM PDT at www.twitch.tv/cuberstache!
  • I'm forcing DF to be bad during pEO extension a lot more now, which is cool. It really helps EO recognition
  • My current ao100 isn't sub-18 anymore :(
  • Not much to report this week, solves were meh and nothing interesting happened
  • Streaming on Mondays and Fridays from 1-3 PM PDT at www.twitch.tv/cuberstache!

2GLLs known: 84/84
Current global average: ~17
PB single: 10.95
PB ao5: 14.47
PB ao12: 16.31
PB ao50: 17.31
PB ao100: 17.41

So I haven't been practicing all that much recently. I probably won't update this every week anymore. I'm still using the method and I would still love to get sub-15 but I'm focusing on other things for a while.

Last edited:

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
you could just use roux and get it way faster
I'm aware that you're against this method but I think it'll be a lot of fun to use an unusual method. I didn't care that much about OH but this new method has made it really fun.
I don't think thats the point, they're testing the potential of YruRU, everyone knows Roux is good for OH already, if he wanted speed they'd try a proven method
Exactly!
what do you average with it 2h btw
About 20? I don't think it's a good 2H method at all so I haven't done many timed solves.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
No one knows for sure that Roux is faster than YruRU for OH, or CFOP or ZZ for that matter.
Another good point - we can argue about the theoreticals of the method all we want, but until someone (me apparently) has put a lot of time and effort into improving with the method, we can't be certain about how good it is. I think it's at least close enough that I can be happy with sticking to YruRU for the foreseeable future.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
PB single on cam!!
Reconstruction:
B2 L U2 L2 D2 F' D2 F2 U2 L2 B' F2 L' U R D B F' L2

x' z // Inspection
B // CPLine
r' R U u' r R U' r' u2' // FB
r R' U R U' r' // EO
r U2' r // Stripe
R U' R U R2 U' R // Square
U2' R U' R' U2' R U' R' // F2L
// 2GLL skip

34 moves/12.67s = 2.68 TPS

My turning was worse than usual on this solve but it was insanely lucky.
Wow it is crazy how slow you were turning but you still got a great time. YruRU seems really good for OH.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow it is crazy how slow you were turning but you still got a great time. YruRU seems really good for OH.
Mainly this solve was stupidly lucky, so don't take it as a good representation of the method. I'll be posting an ao5 soon that'll have more average solves. It is still really good for OH imo.

Devagio

PB single on cam!!
Reconstruction:
B2 L U2 L2 D2 F' D2 F2 U2 L2 B' F2 L' U R D B F' L2

x' z // Inspection
B // CPLine
r' R U u' r R U' r' u2' // FB
r R' U R U' r' // EO
r U2' r // Stripe
R U' R U R2 U' R // Square
U2' R U' R' U2' R U' R' // F2L
// 2GLL skip

34 moves/12.67s = 2.68 TPS

My turning was worse than usual on this solve but it was insanely lucky.
That beats my OH PB single with the method (12.75); this is probably the fastest OH solve done with this method so far! Congratulations!

Last edited: