• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Personal Progress Threads. READ IF YOU HAVE ONE OR PLAN TO MAKE ONE.

Is this a good idea?

• Total voters

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
In reality, every single one of these progress threads is breaking rule 2e, and you all should just use the accomplishment thread.
It says don’t make new threads for personal bests and records, personal progress includes a lot more than personal records, and it’s just one thread.

WCA
2019HENK01

all progress stuff there imo

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
all progress stuff there imo

While that's nice, it doesn't do most of the things a progress thread does. A personal progress thread is exactly that - personal. With that thread your progression and achievements would be lost in the mix of everybody else's. What if someone wanted to follow another person's progress? With a personal progress thread, it's right there in front of you. Also, it seems to me that in the mentioned thread you can only have one goal at a time. I along with many other people try to maximize the efficiency of my practice each week by learning something new and implementing it for multiple events, and just focusing on one thing seems pretty dang inefficient. In closing, I think personal progress threads are healthy for the community because they motivate people to practice and get better. What @PetrusQuber is doing is more than enough to keep the clutter out.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't really like the idea of having to post in it every 2 weeks. I don't post in my thread to make a deadline, but to update whenever something notable happens. If a deadline is added, then it's likely that productive threads will end up with useless posts so that they can qualify
Agreed.

I also see the benefit of users making personal progress threads and think this is a worthy discussion on how we should manage the content. It is more meaningful to have a personal progress thread than posting on the general accomplishment and event focus threads. I get that. It’s personal. I think these threads provide value to the users and the community as a whole.

let’s just not make this the SpeedsolvingBlogs. Quality content should remain essential as these rules try to encourage.

EDIT: Playing devils advocate with myself...I am not actually even sure "blog style" content would be bad. Getting insight into someones thought process or feelings during their progression sounds interesting enough to me. I really don't see the issue with these threads other than some feel they are cluttering up the site and that there is a current tendency to have some low quality content on the site.

Last edited:

dudefaceguy

On the other side, if you eliminate personal progress threads, you will get lots of long personal posts in general accomplishment threads. Earlier this year, I posted a lot in the blindfold accomplishment thread - so much that @ProStar suggested that I create a separate personal progress thread.

I created a separate thread structured as a guide rather than a personal progress thread, since I was basically done with my 3 style progression at that point. My initial thinking was that I didn’t want to create a separate thread, since I knew I would only be posting for a short while. So, I just dumped everything into the accomplishment thread. I also didn’t anticipate that I would post this much when I started learning 3 style - and by the time I had started posting extensively I was already done.

Here is the beginning of my posts for that period, lasting through page 943. https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/blindfold-accomplishment-thread.3582/page-941#post-1356769

Do you think the accomplishment threads would be improved by more of this type of posting, or should we encourage users to start separate threads and avoid cluttering the accomplishment threads?

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
I had a thread, but I never update it. @PetrusQuber Could you link this Google Sheet in your original post with my progress?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
On the other side, if you eliminate personal progress threads, you will get lots of long personal posts in general accomplishment threads. Earlier this year, I posted a lot in the blindfold accomplishment thread - so much that @ProStar suggested that I create a separate personal progress thread.

I created a separate thread structured as a guide rather than a personal progress thread, since I was basically done with my 3 style progression at that point. My initial hinking was that I didn’t want to create a separate thread, since I knew I would only be posting for a short while. So, I just dumped everything into the accomplishment thread. I also didn’t anticipate that I would post this much when I started learning 3 style - and by the time I had started posting extensively I was already done.

Here is the beginning of my posts for that period, lasting through page 943. https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/blindfold-accomplishment-thread.3582/page-941#post-1356769

Do you think the accomplishment threads would be improved by more of this type of posting, or should we encourage users to start separate threads and avoid cluttering the accomplishment threads?
Well, I think both have their purposes. Accomplishment threads are more one off, and people can use it if they don’t want to create their personal thread. Once you have a personal progress thread, you don’t need to use the megathread.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Well, I think both have their purposes. Accomplishment threads are more one off, and people can use it if they don’t want to create their personal thread. Once you have a personal progress thread, you don’t need to use the megathread.

I usually use the accomplishment for something big, like a 3x3 PB or first sub-1 4x4. My thread is for smaller accomplishments and also just general updates that aren't accomplishments. Saying "I'm starting to learn 4lll for Megaminx and know the 3CO cases" isn't an accomplishment

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The reason for the accomplishment thread is to consolidate achievements into one place rather than having everyone's own PB's cluttering the board. You're trying to tell me that progress deserves its own thread per person, despite "progress" being literally more frequent than a PB, and even more cluttering than a PB thread would be? If you don't think that rule applies to progress threads just because progress isn't a PB, then you're completely missing the point of the rule.

Here's my idea, use discord and one person create a server called 'Document your progress here!", everyone who wants to document their personal progress can go there, the users can make a new channel for their personal progress and document all their progress there instead of making a new thread in the forum, (basically a channel in Discord is like a thread in here.), Discord for miscellaneous things and personal progress, the forum for more general discussions.

Last edited:
WCA
2017OWEN01
Here's my idea, use discord and one person create a server called 'Document your progress here!", everyone who wants to document their personal progress can go there, the users can make a new channel for their personal progress and document all their progress there instead of making a new thread in the forum, (basically a channel in Discord is like a thread in here.), Discord for miscellaneous things and personal progress, the forum for more general discussions.
That’s not how discord works.