• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What makes a Clock illegal? I've heard that sometimes the pins can be too loose and the Clocks themselves sometimes don't point exactly to the 12, but I'm wondering how severe it has to be for a Clock to not be usable. I currently have a LingAo with pins loose enough that they sometimes move around on their own and do move around if the Clock is shaken. The Clocks do all seem to point at 12 though. Do you guys think it would be competition legal, and if not, is there anything I can do to make it legal (like lubing)? Thanks! :)

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
What makes a Clock illegal? I've heard that sometimes the pins can be too loose and the Clocks themselves sometimes don't point exactly to the 12, but I'm wondering how severe it has to be for a Clock to not be usable. I currently have a LingAo with pins loose enough that they sometimes move around on their own and do move around if the Clock is shaken. The Clocks do all seem to point at 12 though. Do you guys think it would be competition legal, and if not, is there anything I can do to make it legal (like lubing)? Thanks! :)
Some of my pins would fall through due to gravity. It was deemed illegal so I got to borrow one which was a lot better. Pbs around!

DJ4Y

WCA
2015DHIR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok so I noticed this and I wondered why no one brought it up. This post concerns MMAP's 2x2 average from World's 2013 which probably no one will care about any more, but I want to ask about anyway.

Regulation A5b clearly states: While inspecting or solving the puzzle, the competitor must not receive assistance from anyone or any object other than the surface (also see Regulation 2i). Penalty: disqualification of the attempt (DNF).

However in this video,

[video]https://youtu.be/HCXdUWnT6hk?t=480[/video] 8:00 if the timestamp doesn't work

You can clearly see that near the end of the attempt that the judge tells MMAP ''E perm'' which goes against regulation A5b

So then this attempt should be a DNF, which also makes the entire average a DNF.

Thoughts?

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok so I noticed this and I wondered why no one brought it up. This post concerns MMAP's 2x2 average from World's 2013 which probably no one will care about any more, but I want to ask about anyway.

Regulation A5b clearly states: While inspecting or solving the puzzle, the competitor must not receive assistance from anyone or any object other than the surface (also see Regulation 2i). Penalty: disqualification of the attempt (DNF).

However in this video,

https://youtu.be/HCXdUWnT6hk?t=480 8:00 if the timestamp doesn't work

You can clearly see that near the end of the attempt that the judge tells MMAP ''E perm'' which goes against regulation A5b

So then this attempt should be a DNF, which also makes the entire average a DNF.

Thoughts?

While this may be true, I'm pretty sure that wasn't even an E-perm in the video.

Plus, it was 2013, so the results have been in for two and a half years now. It's pretty much over and done with.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
While this may be true, I'm pretty sure that wasn't even an E-perm in the video.

Plus, it was 2013, so the results have been in for two and a half years now. It's pretty much over and done with.

You're right, it was an A perm. Didn't notice that. However, I still don't think that we should be thinking of incidents in that way. Just because it wasn't a record, it means that we don't need to care about the regulations? That doesn't sound like a sensible idea.

E: but if what he was saying was wrong, does this now actually go against that reg?

Last edited:

DJ4Y

WCA
2015DHIR02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Like I said, no one will probably even care now.

The goal of the World Cube Association is to have
more competitions in more countries with more people and more fun, under fair and equal conditions.

To add on to what TDM said, just because he wasn't going to get a WR or NR or CR it shouldn't mean that everyone else's results do not matter

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Certainly the judge shouldn't be communicating information that could be perceived as assistance. This is incorrect process by the judge. If the competitor asked for it then they would also be guilty.

Weakado

Are air bubbles in stickers allowed in competitions?

I recently re stickered my cube and there are a couple of air bubbles in the stickers. I want to go to a competition soon but i dont know if air bubbles are allowed in competitions. Are air bubbles allowed by the WCA rules? I was having a hard time finding rules on this on their website. Thanks for helping!

not_kevin

WCA
2008YOUN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
What if the cutoff is 40 seconds, and I get a 40.xx solve?

The relevant regulations are contained in A1a, specifically A1a5: A solve is considered to meet the time limit if and only if the final result, after any time penalties are applied, is less than the time limit. Therefore, even a 40.00 solve wouldn't satisfy a 40-second cutoff.

For some further intuition, remember that the default cutoff/time limit for any event (in A1a1) is 10 minutes because a Stackmat physically can't go above 9:59.999 - therefore, a solve of exactly 10 minutes wouldn't meet the Stackmat cutoff.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
If someone takes a flash photograph while I'm solving, could I be granted a re-solve? Flash photos could count as 'interference'.

Are competitions allowed to select which groups of people are allowed to participate? For example, only competitors below 18 years, or only female competitors etc. This could classify as a 'competition requirement' under rule 2a2

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If someone takes a flash photograph while I'm solving, could I be granted a re-solve? Flash photos could count as 'interference'.

Are competitions allowed to select which groups of people are allowed to participate? For example, only competitors below 18 years, or only female competitors etc. This could classify as a 'competition requirement' under rule 2a2

1. Technically, you should be able to request a resolve, and the delegate is essentially obligated to accept it. You need to bring it up immediately.
2. Only if an exception is made under article Z by the WCA Board, and this can only apply to times, not age or gender. FYI having to qualify is a highly contentious part of the regulations which is explicitly under discussion at the moment.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Am I allowed to use a 7x7 with a missing oblique for official solves? Seems like it should be fine since the only rule under article 3 that it may possible violate is 3a2, but a missing oblique doesn't make the puzzle unusable.

Pedro

WCA
2007GUIM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Am I allowed to use a 7x7 with a missing oblique for official solves? Seems like it should be fine since the only rule under article 3 that it may possible violate is 3a2, but a missing oblique doesn't make the puzzle unusable.

The regulations make exceptions for pieces missing only "at the end of the attempt" (see https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/#5b5), so for the beginning of the attempt you must submit a physically complete puzzle.

antech101

WCA
2016BAKE01
Are stickerless cubes legal yet?

I just signed up for Summit City 2016 in Fort Wayne and i was wondering if i could bring my stickerless dayan zhanchi to it? or are stickerless cubes still illegal?

pinser

WCA
2016GOHT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Registration for my first comp opens soon.

Should I register for all the events or just the ones I am good at?
How busy will I be, should I plan to be at the comp all day?