• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Software Question Thread

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I'm not sure if I'm right about this but I think the SEE scrambler is random state and the one used for speedsolving weekly is random move. As we all know random state > random move.

Yes, but I'm saying that the scrambler should use mega notation. Having it use Pochmann notation is like doing singmaster for 3-7 but doing a different notation for 2x2

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, but I'm saying that the scrambler should use mega notation. Having it use Pochmann notation is like doing singmaster for 3-7 but doing a different notation for 2x2
You can't do random state scrambles with mega notation (at least not in a practical amount of moves). You can't turn every possible face; you only have two options.

JTM007

Looking for the best Rubiks cube timer app on iPhone. That has proper length scrambles and has the option to hide the timer display whilst solving.

xyzzy

It's basically x2. A normal x2 would mean rotating like an R++ so that's why it says flip and not x2.
In retrospect, it's kind of funny that I singlehandedly decided everyone should call it "flip" for this reason, and people actually followed suit. I have a rather terrible track record of getting people to listen to me, but this is one of the very few exceptions.

At the time, I wasn't familiar with clock notation and I didn't know that clock scrambles used "y2" to denote turning the puzzle along the y axis, so there was some precedent to using notation like x2/y2/z2 on non-cubic puzzles that I wasn't aware of then. "x2" turned out to have the additional problem that people sometimes interpreted that as "times two" (like "do the preceding bit twice"), so I guess it's good that we ended up using "flip" instead of "x2".

In the spirit of reviving dead memes, part of the reason I chose the word "flip" specifically was because I was thinking of the table-flip meme. You flip the table on the horizontal axis; you flip the kilominx on the horizontal axis too.

There are untold stories about how my kilominx scrambler even came into existence; you may notice that I wrote it on a public holiday where I am, but having had more free time that day was not the biggest reason I wrote it, although it's indirectly relevant. It's a somewhat darker story than is appropriate for this forum, but the gist is that sometimes sh⁂t happens and you just have to deal with it somehow; I dealt with it then by locking myself in a room and writing some code.

/blog