• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Lube Thread

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Which lubes do you advice for big cubes like 5x5 and 7x7?
Well, this is a little late, but for big cubes I like faster/runnier lubes since I like the feel much better, but it really comes down to what you prefer. If you like slower/sluggish feel to big cubes then something like the Traxxas 50k would be a great option, but if you like that faster turning of the cube then something like DNM-37, Maru, (which is like DNM-37, but not nearly as good in quality), of martian lube from SCS.
Or the other thing you can do is mix and match some different lubes and see if you come across something that you like.
Lastly, (and this is what I tend to do) is to lube the core of the cube with Traxxas 50k, and the pieces with DNM-37.

Austinruler

WCA
2015SETT02
I just got a 354 and i setting it up and i was wondering if the ges system nuts are supposed to be lubed or not. And if they are lubed how do you lube them? Thanks

WCA
2013DELA01
Does anyone know how to use the angstrom lubes on a 4x4? I tried using the dignitas with a little dnm on the pieces and it just made it slow, even after doing a good amount of solves.

Diving Cuber

I just got a 354 and i setting it up and i was wondering if the ges system nuts are supposed to be lubed or not. And if they are lubed how do you lube them? Thanks
I don't think you have to lube it, because there is no plastic to metal contact, but I am not sure because I don't own a gan cube.

teboecubes

WCA
2015TEBO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My Air SM is feeling a little dry, but the turning is great otherwise. Does anyone know of a lube that won't make it faster, slower, gummier, etc, but will just make it less dry?

Edit: and preferably available on The Cubicle

Is it really necessary to use a lube in an GANS air 356 SM
I have had my SM for like 4 months or so and I have a doubt about lubricants.
I don’t know much about lubricants and want to know if it is used only for better feel or even useful for long run in a cube.
Cubers who own a SM must have noticed that the honeycomb pattern gets worn out (I mean it becomes less projected) after long use.
I use Maru lube and have noticed it leavs a significant amount of residue. I have stopped using it.

My question is that should I use a lube to lessen the friction on the honeycomb pattern for the long run or it is fine to use without a lube.
My SM feels same with a lube compared to loser tensions so I am asking which would be better. I don’t care about the feel by a lube, only I care about the effect on the cube

Sorry for such a long explanation, it’s my first post so I don’t know how to be precise.

emps

Trust me, you need to lube your cube. It gets really dry over time and over time and it feels horrible.

Diving Cuber

I just got a moyu 5x5 AoChuang 5x5 gts m. I don't have any experience lubing cubes, so does any one recommend a lube combination?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you had to choose a lube for the 3x3, and the options were Traxxas 50K, 30K or 10K, what would you pick?
Plus, can I use that lube for both the core and pieces?

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
50K on the core hardware will lead to a smoother feeling puzzle and extend the life of the centres, assuming the puzzle is fitted with washers. 50K can also be used on the puzzle pieces but it will need to be broken in. You don't necessarily need to lube puzzle pieces as plastic on plastic isn't going to do too much damage over a short period of time. Also, the oil and dead skin from your hands will protect the plastic to a certain extent.
Thanks. Are the washers the metal circles that go round the screw?

Iwannaganx

I only have qiyi M1 and m2, are there any other cheapish good lubes that I really should use or is the qiyi lube good enough?
I really don't want to have to take the entire thing apart, I'm afraid of retensioning.

CurlyFries

WCA
2015BURE01
Does anyone know how to use the angstrom lubes on a 4x4? I tried using the dignitas with a little dnm on the pieces and it just made it slow, even after doing a good amount of solves.
I know the question I’m quoting is old, but I have the same question. How are you supposed to Angstrom lube a 4x4?