• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Lube Thread

EchecsRex

I am getting into 4x4 a lot recently and just learned yau. I average around 2 minutes. I use a stickerless aosu and I wanted to lube it. I used to use a stickered aosu which I lubed with Chris Olson's (Cyotheking) tutorial. I never got to break the lube in because I broke 2 center caps, but it was very sluggish even after a few solves. I want to lube my stickerless aosu, but I am worried to use Cyo's tutorial again because it made it really slow and I have heard some people say it ruined their cube permanently. Can someone please tell me if I should use Cyo's tutorial, JRCuber's tutorial, ParadoxCubing's tutorial, or just lube it myself? Thanks!

Drad

I am getting into 4x4 a lot recently and just learned yau. I average around 2 minutes. I use a stickerless aosu and I wanted to lube it. I used to use a stickered aosu which I lubed with Chris Olson's (Cyotheking) tutorial. I never got to break the lube in because I broke 2 center caps, but it was very sluggish even after a few solves. I want to lube my stickerless aosu, but I am worried to use Cyo's tutorial again because it made it really slow and I have heard some people say it ruined their cube permanently. Can someone please tell me if I should use Cyo's tutorial, JRCuber's tutorial, ParadoxCubing's tutorial, or just lube it myself? Thanks!
Cyo's method is very good but it will take more than a few solves to break in the lube it will take at least 50 solves.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Cyo's method is very good but it will take more than a few solves to break in the lube it will take at least 50 solves.

I would say 50 is conservative. I would give it at least 100, probably 200-300. I've got ~850 solves in mine since lubing it that way, and I'm not sure if it's still getting better or if I am.

Eduard Khil

what is the function of maru lube and gans magic oil

Maru is really thin so it speeds up your cubes a lot but they dry out quick. Mainly used on big cubes since the lower viscocity will allow the lube to spread around quickly. Also works on small cubes (2x2-3x3) but dries out within 20 solves.

For Gans Magic oil, there are two types, the thick one and the thin one. The thin one is to speed up the cube and to coat the surfaces with silicone so they are protected while the thick one is mainly used on the core, and also used on the pieces to make the cube more controllable

atx12345

i just got a yj guansu and i haven't lubed a 4x4 ever. Should i take it apart and lube it or can i lube it just by pulling on the edges? I'm scared if i take it apart, I won't be able to put it back together.

EchecsRex

I would take it full apart and lube it using cyotheking's tutorial. If you use a thick lube like he did he shows an easy way to put it back together by using the thickness of the lube to make the first few pieces stick.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Yes it will work for a while but your cube will be unusable after a month or two with no way to repair it. Q20 and other carbon base lubricants dissolve the plastic slightly, which stops the pieces from sliding smoothly over each other.

tryhardcuber

i have been freaking out as to what is the point of factory lube and what lube is it like is it like z-lube and help break in or is it just to improve out of the box experience and is it a lube that can be bought online bc i been looking every where

Abare Killer

I lubed my Moyu Aolong v2 and it seemed to have increased in corner cutting but when i lube the Qiyi Thunderclap v1, the corner cutting stayed the same. So how does it exactly work? And how do I increase my corner cutting on the thunderclap cause the cutting is starting to get worser and I've tried all different tensions already. Btw the thunderclap is only 1 month old.

CuberCritic

YouTube
Visit Channel
Corner cutting is almost always determined by the way the cube is designed. Most of your cubes will be better at everything after some lube.

If your thunderclap isn't getting better after tensioning and lube, it may not improve much. The only defining factor would be to continue using it until it gets broken in. Sometimes the plastic will wear on the cube and allow more ability to corner cut. Give it some time and you should see some results soon.

Dhwanil Patel

I recently bought valk 3.. and now i wanna know which lube i should buy so that i can use it on my valk and moyu aosu both cubes???

Jon Persson

I recently bought valk 3.. and now i wanna know which lube i should buy so that i can use it on my valk and moyu aosu both cubes???

I just did this with my Valk 3, and my Aosu. Watch Cyothe king's videos:
(he talks about the thunderclap, but it worked wonders with my Valk 3)

For Aosu:

For my Aosu, I used weight 5 silicone and for the Valk 3 I used weight 4. (Was going to try weight 5, but ran out of lube).

The cube will feel very gummy and sluggish after lubing. It's important to spin each face many times to brake the lube in. It can be done by just solving, but that takes a long time. Watch the end of the thunderclap-video. He shows how he spins each face around. I did 100 rapid turns on each face, which for a 3x3 would equal 2400 quarter turns, that's plenty if brake in! It takes about 5-6 minutes to do for a 3x3. On a 4x4, don't forget to also brake in with double layer turns as well, did 100 double layer turns in three directions and 100 turns on each outer face to cover the whole cube. Takes 10 minutes and yes, the hand gets a little tired, but it's worth it.

Worked for me, but I'm not a very fast cuber (3x3 avg: 27-28 sec PB: 19,8 sec) However, the Valk 3 is quite fast even with lots of weight 4, due to properly braking in the lube.

//Cheers!

xPureee

I don't have silicone spray but is there any household item that I can lube my Moyu Aolong v2 with?