• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer 4x4 Question Thread

IAmAPerson

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Challenge accepted ;-P

Sent from my M1005D using Tapatalk
Can't wait to see this. I used a blockbuilding method for my 4x4->2x2 solve. I already suck at 3x3 blockbuilding, so I was super slow and inefficient during my solve. However, 4x4 LBL is a legitimate speedcubing possibility in my opinion. If I ever buy a 7x7 or whatever, I'll probably record a 7x7 LBL solve.

Tahrbo

I have a 4x4 windmill cube with 2 adjacent corners swapped. When I try to use: 2R2 U2 2R2 u2 2R2 2U2, the center of my F slice gets scrambled (and it has a specific orientation due to the cube being a windmill cut).

Is there an algorithm to fix 2 adjacent corners on the top layer of a 4x4? I don't care if the top layer gets scrambled (as you can see the algorithm I already use for normal 4x4 cubes does that), I just need one that doesn't affect the layers below U.

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a 4x4 windmill cube with 2 adjacent corners swapped. When I try to use: 2R2 U2 2R2 u2 2R2 2U2, the center of my F slice gets scrambled (and it has a specific orientation due to the cube being a windmill cut).

Is there an algorithm to fix 2 adjacent corners on the top layer of a 4x4? I don't care if the top layer gets scrambled (as you can see the algorithm I already use for normal 4x4 cubes does that), I just need one that doesn't affect the layers below U.
You could use 4bld center algs I think.

Tahrbo

You could use 4bld center algs I think.

Can you suggest one algorithm in particular? When I Googled "4bld center algs" I got these links, among others:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cubers/comments/1ksp3v/a_no_nonsense_guide_to_4bld_centers/
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?49241-Tutorial-Freestyle-4BLD-center-solving
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHx00ab2bp4
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?53607-Kind-of-new-4BLD-method

Much of the terminology is lost on me. Methods I've never even heard of are discussed. I couldn't even blindfold a 3x3 out of a paper bag let alone a 4x4. I'm just looking for a specific variant of the Swapped Corners aka Swapped Edges algorithm.

Last edited:

TheCuber13

4x4x4 parity

I am trying to solve a 4x4x4, but I have one problem. (y=yellow x=any color)

y y y y

y y y y

y y y y

y y y X

I need help on that (They are in the right coloring position)
thanks

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm confused... one of the corners isn't oriented properly? You'd fix that the same way you would for a corner on any other nxnxn puzzle.

If the rest of the puzzle is solved and only the corner is off then it's twisted and unsolvable.

caters

Black powder in the cube?

I have had a piece pop out of my 4x4 twice(It wasn't the same piece that popped out though). I always wash my hands after I put the piece back in correctly.

But anyway I get this smooth black powder on my hands after putting the piece back in and not after solving it so I know it is coming from the inside. How do I know it is a powder? Well it looks like a solid and stays on my hands until I wash it off with water. I doubt it is rubber on the inside and I think it is plastic.

But could the moves of the cube(slice moves and everything else except rotations) be grinding up plastic from the inside out thus causing me to get powdered plastic on my hands when I put a piece that has popped out, back in?

It mostly turns smoothly(an occasional catching here and there) and it started off very rigid and wouldn't turn unless it was just so. Now it can corner cut a little bit but not as much as my 3x3 can. This is all due to time using it. No lube has been used and this wasn't second hand(new packaging, new instructions)

This is the same rubiks revenge that I didn't know the color scheme of until I asked here.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have had a piece pop out of my 4x4 twice(It wasn't the same piece that popped out though). I always wash my hands after I put the piece back in correctly.

But anyway I get this smooth black powder on my hands after putting the piece back in and not after solving it so I know it is coming from the inside. How do I know it is a powder? Well it looks like a solid and stays on my hands until I wash it off with water. I doubt it is rubber on the inside and I think it is plastic.

But could the moves of the cube(slice moves and everything else except rotations) be grinding up plastic from the inside out thus causing me to get powdered plastic on my hands when I put a piece that has popped out, back in?

It mostly turns smoothly(an occasional catching here and there) and it started off very rigid and wouldn't turn unless it was just so. Now it can corner cut a little bit but not as much as my 3x3 can. This is all due to time using it. No lube has been used and this wasn't second hand(new packaging, new instructions)

This is the same rubiks revenge that I didn't know the color scheme of until I asked here.
Yes, that's what happens when you are breaking a cube in; certain pieces get rubbed against each other so they fit together nicer hence why well used cubes are nicer than new ones out of the box.

It also happens to a certain extent when you put lube in but not as much though it is worth putting some lube in when it is well broken in.

Robinbar

Hi,
I am solving 4x4 with yau method and I use 3-2-3 edge pairing.
Once the cross and centers are done I always slice(uw'), put pieces in but sometimes I can only solve 2 pairs because certain pieces are next to a piece that I wanna slice back on.
And then I sometimes end up solving the next 2 pairs, and then I get messed up. Because then I have to solve 3 more, and for instance I slice and then the last 3 pairs are solved but the centers are misaligned, and when I slice the back I break up the last 3
pairs. And what sometimes happens is that with the last 3 pairs, I slice and then I have one pair solved but then I have a two pair(where you do an edge flip), but again the centers are not aligned.

TheoLyh

WCA
2016LYHO01
Hi. ive began to train 4x4 again but i have problems with the cross edges/dedges. ive seen some of the really good cubers rotate the cube so they have the center with the dedges they are going to solve on the left or right side or something. Why are they doing that and is it a good idea to use it?... ps. i average ~ 1:10 sec

Im maybe totaly wrong here. I hope you can answer.

MattyAB

I've just been trying to learn Yau via JKC's tutorial (can be found here), and in the scramble she provides, there are some weird 2Rw and 2Rw2 moves...
Pretty sure that isn't proper notation...

What are these?
Are they equivalent to a certain move, or are they something else...?

Thanks!