• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Oldmancfop

Perhaps one day I'll pluck up the nerve to enter a comp, the idea of being the only competitor over the age of 16 freaks me out. The only comp within a reasonable distance from me is the Weston-Super-Mare open but it looks a bit of a serious big comp, a lot of the big names were there.

Oldmancfop

What should I be searching for on Facebook, is there anything specifically for older cubers or just general chat?

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I’m pretty much always among the oldest competitors. I think there are 3 of us locally that are “old”. Although the 20yo “kids” seem to think they are old now, but they’re still kids to me... and I remind them of that too! Hahahaha. Then, they smoke me in the comp and we all have fun.

I wouldn’t let your age be a concern. No one cares how old you are. Nor do the care how fast you are - they may ask, but for curiosity. Most people are there to compete against themselves.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Topics that were being discussed were 90% about blindfolded solving. There's threads for that. I still feel this thread should be about the specific things that are different for old cubers.
Older cubers aren’t that drastically different than younger cubers. Just talking about what is unique about older cubers is pretty narrow.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
I think discussions have shifted to Facebook. I too, am still cubing. Mostly just lots and lots of 3x3. Have put more focus on 4x4 over the past few months, but recently not much time available. So, again.... just lots of 3x3 solves. Hopefully my lookahead is improving. Next comp is Jan 11. We will see what happens there.

I have next five weeks weekly comps :) scheduled to delegate.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Perhaps one day I'll pluck up the nerve to enter a comp, the idea of being the only competitor over the age of 16 freaks me out. The only comp within a reasonable distance from me is the Weston-Super-Mare open but it looks a bit of a serious big comp, a lot of the big names were there.
You would not have been the only oldster at WSM. There were at least 8 competitors over 40. One of the better senior turn-outs in the UK.

CLL Smooth

WCA
2012LOET01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity on this thread anymore. Have all older cubers come to their senses and given up or are discussions now held elsewhere?
I still browse the forums on occasion but I’ve never really had much to contribute. On the topic of comps, I just had a dream where I was heading to one but decided to stop for pizza and beer instead. In the dream I was explaining to a friend about how I never really liked going to comps anyway. So we stayed and had more beer and pizza!
My comp mentality has mostly been to go there and get official pbs. I’ve never been too into social activities and large groups of people. When it stopped becoming a given that I would get a pb, it became more nerve racking than fun for me. I still cube nearly everyday though.

Oldmancfop

Older cubers aren’t that drastically different than younger cubers. Just talking about what is unique about older cubers is pretty narrow.
Discussion on this thread seems to be very broad, not just what is unique to older cubers. Personally I like to post here because I know posts will be read/answered by cubers of a similar age with possibly similar expectations/goals and be aware of some of the obstacles of being older (work/family commitments, slower manual dexterity, sllooowwwinnng braaaaaiiiiiinnnnn)

Old Tom

WCA
2018DOYL02
I think discussions have shifted to Facebook. I too, am still cubing. Mostly just lots and lots of 3x3. Have put more focus on 4x4 over the past few months, but recently not much time available. So, again.... just lots of 3x3 solves. Hopefully my lookahead is improving. Next comp is Jan 11. We will see what happens there.
I am just getting back to cubing after a necessary break of more than a year where I simply had no mental energy or focus to even pick up a cube. I am back at it now. At 81 it is coming back slowly: the 3x3 was easy (though I am NOT FAST). The 3BLD is proving a challenge. The OP methodology is fine, memory is about the same, but J seem to have lost some "precision" in the execution. Tend to make a wrong twist (oops) and then not recover. I think practice will fix that. I do also post in the FB group, but this place in past was super for helpful advice.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am just getting back to cubing after a necessary break of more than a year where I simply had no mental energy or focus to even pick up a cube. I am back at it now. At 81 it is coming back slowly: the 3x3 was easy (though I am NOT FAST). The 3BLD is proving a challenge. The OP methodology is fine, memory is about the same, but J seem to have lost some "precision" in the execution. Tend to make a wrong twist (oops) and then not recover. I think practice will fix that. I do also post in the FB group, but this place in past was super for helpful advice.
Welcome back, Tom. I still think you're awesome and I'd love to still be cubing at your age. :)

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
2 things. How old is old in your opinion? I’m 29 but that still feels “old” in the cubing community. As you’ve aged how has your cubing interests changed? I started out just wanting to be fast and now I find myself trying to be more elegant in solutions, solving big cubes for fun and not for speed and trying to learn new non cubic puzzles on my own without online tutorials etc. The prospect of FMC sounds interesting now b/c of how well you’d have to understand cube mechanics while that never would have appealed to me when I was younger.
I definitely feel like the old guy “studying” in the Jperm video of the topic

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
[...] How old is old in your opinion? I’m 29 but that still feels “old” in the cubing community. [...]

29 IS old in the cubing community and this thread has always been open and welcoming to anyone who feels old in this young sport. The officially unofficial senior rankings and stats start at 40, so you still have a way to go to really start feeling old :D

Oldmancfop

2 things. How old is old in your opinion? I’m 29 but that still feels “old” in the cubing community. As you’ve aged how has your cubing interests changed? I started out just wanting to be fast and now I find myself trying to be more elegant in solutions, solving big cubes for fun and not for speed and trying to learn new non cubic puzzles on my own without online tutorials etc. The prospect of FMC sounds interesting now b/c of how well you’d have to understand cube mechanics while that never would have appealed to me when I was younger.
I definitely feel like the old guy “studying” in the Jperm video of the topic
How old is really a relative question, ask a 15 year old and they will tell you are old, I'm 49 and you are young. I think the important thing is at age 29 you are still very capable to learn and get good at things quicker than someone in their 60's. Elegant/efficient solves are not to be undervalued, watching someone smoothly solve a 3x3 in the low 20's without a rotation or pause is a thing of beauty.
What's the J perm clip you refer to, I would like to see it?

Last edited:

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Then there's your explanation why this topic is dying out. :)

The primary culprit is the "Senior Cubers Worldwide" group on Facebook. This thread was always more active before that group popped up and the FB group has quite a bit of daily traffic and from more people than than this thread typically had.