• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Mine are about the same. My 3BLD memo always seems a bit slower in comp - I think nerves cause a little hesitation. That's why I prefer the longer events.

My PR from a few weeks ago:-

Yes, true. Not only nerves, but also not jumping to execution immediately like home practice - hesitation or confirmation?

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, true. Not only nerves, but also not jumping to execution immediately like home practice - hesitation or confirmation?
Both I guess. Competition pressure makes me want to have confidence in the memo before committing, whereas at home I would go "by the seat of the pants". It's like every solve is a little bit a safety solve, although without the improved success rate :)

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice. I don't suppose you took video? It's a disappointment not seeing you solve! What are your splits?

@Jason Green, I agree with all your points. Not sure how old J-perm is but I guess we'll be waiting a while :)
It seems the group is a bit different than a year ago. Used to be if I missed two days it would take me an hour to catch up! Are the oldies more into the Facebook group these days?

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey all,
I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I've been away from cubing since i graduated college in 2012 and am recently getting back into things. I don't want to set records but i am looking forward to learning some of the more advanced ideas i wrote off back in the day and getting back to ~30sec solves. I also really enjoy big cubes and the minxs as pure puzzles and not necessarily speed. I look forward to meeting and chatting with you all. Cheers,

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Just had a disappointingly nice single. The timer didn't start the first time, accidentally rescrambled with the same scramble and got a 16.60. I think my first 16, but I've had a couple of 15s.

Scramble (green front, white top):
D F2 D' L2 D2 U' L2 B2 F2 U2 R' U' L2 B2 U F2 R' F L R

Solution (red front, yellow top):
F' R' F cross
L U' L R' U' R F' U F 1st pair
R' U R U F U F 2nd pair
U' B Rw' U' Rw 3rd pair
z(?) U L U' L' U L U L' 4th pair
U2 Fw R U R'U' Fw' OLL
U' F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F' PLL

57 moves.

Tom Joad

Just had a disappointingly nice single. The timer didn't start the first time, accidentally rescrambled with the same scramble and got a 16.60. I think my first 16, but I've had a couple of 15s.

Scramble (green front, white top):
D F2 D' L2 D2 U' L2 B2 F2 U2 R' U' L2 B2 U F2 R' F L R

Solution (red front, yellow top):
F' R' F cross
L U' L R' U' R F' U F 1st pair
R' U R U F U F 2nd pair
U' B Rw' U' Rw 3rd pair
z(?) U L U' L' U L U L' 4th pair
U2 Fw R U R'U' Fw' OLL
U' F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F' PLL

57 moves.

Random tip: try the cross as R’B’R instead (with blue at the front).

Oldmancfop

I've been using the Dayan TengYun M for about 6 months, it's a lovely cube but I just fancy a change. It's expensive but I'm tempted with the 356xs. Anyone tried it yet?

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I've been using the Dayan TengYun M for about 6 months, it's a lovely cube but I just fancy a change. It's expensive but I'm tempted with the 356xs. Anyone tried it yet?
I have the X and the XS and I'm torn at the moment. I've been using the GAN X for about a year now and it's an amazing cube. Even compared to the XS it is still the smoothest cube I have. It is quiet as well which help when I'm doing a few solves at my desk at work.

The XS is super light and really easy to turn. This is where I am struggling at the moment. It is so effortless to turn that it's much harder to control than the X. Even with the magnets set to full strength it turns really easily. I like it a lot and can get great times on it, although it is less consistent than the X for me. The XS is also makes more noise.

Either will be good, but going forward you're probably better off going with the XS because of the easier customisation.

Oldmancfop

I have the X and the XS and I'm torn at the moment. I've been using the GAN X for about a year now and it's an amazing cube. Even compared to the XS it is still the smoothest cube I have. It is quiet as well which help when I'm doing a few solves at my desk at work.

The XS is super light and really easy to turn. This is where I am struggling at the moment. It is so effortless to turn that it's much harder to control than the X. Even with the magnets set to full strength it turns really easily. I like it a lot and can get great times on it, although it is less consistent than the X for me. The XS is also makes more noise.

Either will be good, but going forward you're probably better off going with the XS because of the easier customisation.
Hmm, now I'm torn, I really like quiet, I also really like easy to turn (my turning tps is very slow), this is steering me toward the X.

Oldmancfop

It's the stickerless version that I would be interested in. The XS looks like it has a frosted surface finish which appeals to me. Is the X the same?

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
Hmm, now I'm torn, I really like quiet, I also really like easy to turn (my turning tps is very slow), this is steering me toward the X.

It's the stickerless version that I would be interested in. The XS looks like it has a frosted surface finish which appeals to me. Is the X the same?
I also prefer a cube that turns easier, my fingers can't do long sessions with a cube that's harder to turn so I do like the XS for that. At the moment though I feel i'm working harder with it than the X just because I'm trying to control it more while turning. It's just something to get used to and I'm sure I will be moving onto the XS as my main. For now I'm using both the X and XS.

I went for stickerless because I made the move a while back already. The frosted surface looks great but it is harder to grip and my fingers tend to slip more easily. Again, it's something that can get worked on with some time

Oldmancfop

Another difference seems to be us younger cubers post short replies on the forums whereas older cubers write and compose a detailed reply.
Ha, Ha, watching the guy solving around the 30 second mark was just like watching myself, I am officially an old, slow turning cuber.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want something completely different from the TengYun and you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, try the Thunderclap V3 M. It's loud, clacky, heavy and snappy.

If you want something similar to the TengYun... just use the TengYun. :)

Oldmancfop

If you want something completely different from the TengYun and you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, try the Thunderclap V3 M. It's loud, clacky, heavy and snappy.

If you want something similar to the TengYun... just use the TengYun. :)
Yep, not sure the thunderclap's the one for me!

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yep, not sure the thunderclap's the one for me!
I hated it at first, I was very disappointed, but now I kind of love it. I get my best times on it, including sub 20s (My PB single is 16) and my PB Ao5 of 21.71, so I can't complain. I have basically 5 cubes to choose from now that all get me good times: Supernova Yuxin Little Magic M, MeiLong 3 M medium, MeiLong 3 M strong, DaYan TengYun 3x3x3 M and Thunderclap V3 M. But they're all very different. The MeiLong Ms are both fairly flexible, fast and light, they require a very light turning style. The YLM is very stable, but light and you can get a little rough with it and it won't lock up or anything, very good cube. The DaYan you know, the Thunderclap I already described.

I also have the GTS2, which is very good, but mine is stock, because it's my first speedcube and I am not gonna do anything with it, including lubing, magnetizing and tensioning. There's also the YuLong V2 M, but I don't like it as much now that I'm 10-15 seconds faster than when I bought it. It locks up a lot at higher tps. The Kylin V2 M is very stable and quiet, but it's not a cube I get my best times on. It's a bit locky and stiff. I personally still like the Warrior W, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is sub 30. It's fun to solve with though, and it makes you turn slower, so it's good as a practice cube.

Oldmancfop

I hated it at first, I was very disappointed, but now I kind of love it. I get my best times on it, including sub 20s (My PB single is 16) and my PB Ao5 of 21.71, so I can't complain. I have basically 5 cubes to choose from now that all get me good times: Supernova Yuxin Little Magic M, MeiLong 3 M medium, MeiLong 3 M strong, DaYan TengYun 3x3x3 M and Thunderclap V3 M. But they're all very different. The MeiLong Ms are both fairly flexible, fast and light, they require a very light turning style. The YLM is very stable, but light and you can get a little rough with it and it won't lock up or anything, very good cube. The DaYan you know, the Thunderclap I already described.

I also have the GTS2, which is very good, but mine is stock, because it's my first speedcube and I am not gonna do anything with it, including lubing, magnetizing and tensioning. There's also the YuLong V2 M, but I don't like it as much now that I'm 10-15 seconds faster than when I bought it. It locks up a lot at higher tps. The Kylin V2 M is very stable and quiet, but it's not a cube I get my best times on. It's a bit locky and stiff. I personally still like the Warrior W, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is sub 30. It's fun to solve with though, and it makes you turn slower, so it's good as a practice cube.
Lots of info here, much appreciated. I'm averaging at 25-27 seconds, anything sub 25 is a good time for me. I've had a non magnet Gan Air, absolutely hated the GES nuts, MoYu gts3, loved when I bought it, very stable but I now find the magnets too strong. The TengYun has been great but my fingers stick to it if they get a little damp, or slip off it it if they get very dry, it's smooth and quiet but even with my slow tps it seems a bit unstable if I try a fast pll. The 356XS appealed for it easy spring/magnet strength adjustment, the frosted finish (which I imagine may bit a bit slippery but hopefully consistent without the grip extremes of the Tengyun) and hopefully a stable cube as I start to get a little faster. I also like the look of the XS. If it was £15 less I would buy it without hesitation.