• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Official WCA Regulations and Competiton pages

YukiTanaka

WCA
2010TANA02
I have a question about the FMC regulation.

>E3) The competitor may use the following objects during the attempt. Penalty for using unauthorised objects: disqualification of the attempt (DNF).
>E3c) Coloured stickers (self-supplied).

It says we can use "colored stickers" for FMC competition. But what kind of stickers we can use is not mentioned in this section.
I used a kind of post-it in WC 2013, after questioning to the judge if I can use it and being permitted.
Can I use a kind of post-it in FMC competition?
(I used exactly this one. http://www.amazon.co.jp/住友スリーエム-3M-ポスト・イット-ジョーブ透明見出し-683MH/dp/B000IGOFAW)

YukiTanaka

WCA
2010TANA02
Well, why not?
And didn't a world championship judge already tell you that you can?

Thanks for your quick reply.
I worried about the possibility that it is not allowed but the judge's interpretation is different from the official one.
I'll use it in future competition checking to the judge.

YukiTanaka

WCA
2010TANA02
Maybe I needed to present more information about it.

The expression "colored stickers" is also used in 3d)
>3d) Puzzles must have coloured stickers, coloured tiles, or painted/printed colours.
>3d3) Stickers/tiles/textures/paint must not be thicker than 1.5 mm, or the generally available thickness for non-cube puzzles.

If the "colored sticker" in E3) refers to this, big post-it may be illegal because of 3h).
>3h) (omitted) Modified versions of puzzles are permitted only if the modification does not make any additional information available to the competitor (e.g. identity of pieces), compared to an unmodified version of the same puzzle.

So there's a claim that it might be illegal. I want to know how other cubers think about it.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe I needed to present more information about it.

The expression "colored stickers" is also used in 3d)
>3d) Puzzles must have coloured stickers, coloured tiles, or painted/printed colours.
>3d3) Stickers/tiles/textures/paint must not be thicker than 1.5 mm, or the generally available thickness for non-cube puzzles.

If the "colored sticker" in E3) refers to this, big post-it may be illegal because of 3h).
>3h) (omitted) Modified versions of puzzles are permitted only if the modification does not make any additional information available to the competitor (e.g. identity of pieces), compared to an unmodified version of the same puzzle.

So there's a claim that it might be illegal. I want to know how other cubers think about it.

Colored sticers is for tracking pieces in FMC. If you use post-its instead of stickers, that gives you no further advantage - therefore, you can use them as well.
Article 3) is talking about stickers on the puzzles, not the additional stickers for FMC.

EDIT: But you are right, I think we should change the regulation E3c) and put "post-it" as well.

Last edited:

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
there are like 3 comps on the west coast and 3 on the east coast and 2 down south, why nothing in the midwest?!? :'(

I would consider both Michigan and Missouri as midwest states with upcoming competitions. Indiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin had competitions very recently too.

The reason you might not see too many planned throughout the midwest for December and beyond is the snow risk -- delegates are hesitant to commit to travel that will take an hour or more for that reason.

WCA
2013BARK01
I would consider both Michigan and Missouri as midwest states with upcoming competitions. Indiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin had competitions very recently too.

The reason you might not see too many planned throughout the midwest for December and beyond is the snow risk -- delegates are hesitant to commit to travel that will take an hour or more for that reason.

more of this plz

CubeWizard23

WCA
2015GAMB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just wondering if there is a comp in the works for memorial day weekend in madison? there has been for the last few years, some of my friends and i are hoping to compete....
(asking bc i dont see anything listed on WCA's site)

Paul Landers

Down the stairs, jokes on you I have no stairs.
WCA
2017LAND05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just wondering if there is a comp in the works for memorial day weekend in madison? there has been for the last few years, some of my friends and i are hoping to compete....
(asking bc i dont see anything listed on WCA's site)
Well, if you don't see anything listed on the WCA's site, then there are no competitions in Madison. Do you search by state? Or city?