• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] [OFFICIAL] Gan 356i discussion / software updates / issues report

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
FAQ:
Why do I get a DNF in battle even if I finished first?

• Sadly, it's because the connection between you and Gan's server is weak. It happens not because of your WiFi speed is slow but rather your distance to China is a bit too far. We have found that the further away you are from China, the more likely you encounter this. According to @Olivertam , Gan 356i's oversea sales manager, they are planning to set up servers in other countries to solve this problem.

Is this still in the pipeline? The battle mode is practically unusable 90% of the time. It's frustrating to get many solves DNF'd, and waiting all the time really kills the flow.

RDPearson

Hi all

I recently bought a GAN 356i V2 bluetooth cube. Rather frustrated with it for 2 reasons.

1. I cant adjust it. The writing on the nut is so tiny that I find it impossible to read even using a large magnifying glass. Also I find it virtually impossible to press this down and turn it at the same time. There is not much space there and there is no tool for it. My main cub (GAN 356XS) is much faster and the 356i I am finding very slow in comparison. My times are nothing great yet (35 - 60 seconds) with a PB of 31.58 but I got the bluetooth cube to try help with drilling algs and work out what I can improve on. I was also told by the place I bought it from to not use any form of lube on a bt cube.
2. Regularly there are moves that are not being registered. I get the solve complete but yet the timer is still running and the graphic shows the cube as incomplete. I use cstimer. This is intermittent. I might do 50 solves where I have no problem, then it might happen for the next 2 or three solves. Very frustrating.

Anybody else having the same issues?

Thanks
Richard

SolidJoltBlue

Hi all

I recently bought a GAN 356i V2 bluetooth cube. Rather frustrated with it for 2 reasons.

1. I cant adjust it. The writing on the nut is so tiny that I find it impossible to read even using a large magnifying glass. Also I find it virtually impossible to press this down and turn it at the same time. There is not much space there and there is no tool for it. My main cub (GAN 356XS) is much faster and the 356i I am finding very slow in comparison. My times are nothing great yet (35 - 60 seconds) with a PB of 31.58 but I got the bluetooth cube to try help with drilling algs and work out what I can improve on. I was also told by the place I bought it from to not use any form of lube on a bt cube.
2. Regularly there are moves that are not being registered. I get the solve complete but yet the timer is still running and the graphic shows the cube as incomplete. I use cstimer. This is intermittent. I might do 50 solves where I have no problem, then it might happen for the next 2 or three solves. Very frustrating.

Anybody else having the same issues?

Thanks
Richard
If the problem occurs during algorithm training, be sure to wait a few seconds after completing the algorithm for the orientation to reset. I have a V1, and that took a minute for me to figure out after I was drilling algs and my cube kept "not registering moves". As for timed solves, I would reset my phone and charge the cube fully and try that, if that doesn't work the best option is to contact Gan or whatever retailer sold you the cube.

nonoperez

Is this still in the pipeline? The battle mode is practically unusable 90% of the time. It's frustrating to get many solves DNF'd, and waiting all the time really kills the flow.

Yep, in my opinion this is the main problem of 356 i, this is the only reason I won't recommend buying the cube if you don't live in China. Gan is doing a big effort in the new app, but without battles it is not worth the 80$ of the cube. My main is a 356 XS, my 356i has been in a drawer for months.

RDPearson

It is happening just during normal solves. I havent started using it for any drilling as of yet.
Have contacted the retailer who contacted GAN. GAN have just said to do a hard reset but no details on how to do so, so waiting for them to give further details.

Just checking elsewhere apart from them seeing if anybody else has any ideas.

mars28

I recently bought 356i Play. Unfortunately, for me, the magnets are too weak. I prefer very strong magnets. I would like to replace the magnets with stronger ones, or add additional ones. I can't find a video anywhere on how to disassemble edge pieces and corner pieces. The individual elements sit quite tightly, I would not like to use too much force so as not to damage something. I couldn't even remove the center caps. Have any of you seen any tutorial?

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
I recently bought 356i Play. Unfortunately, for me, the magnets are too weak. I prefer very strong magnets. I would like to replace the magnets with stronger ones, or add additional ones. I can't find a video anywhere on how to disassemble edge pieces and corner pieces. The individual elements sit quite tightly, I would not like to use too much force so as not to damage something. I couldn't even remove the center caps. Have any of you seen any tutorial?
I don’t think replacing the magnets is possible without some breaking into the cube. You just need to use your nail to pick up the center cap. It’s no different from other cubes.

mars28

As for the center caps, maybe I have to use a little more force. I'll try.

As for the edge/corner caps, I tried to lift them up with my fingernail, but unfortunately they don't come off easily. I saw that with some cubes, you have to move the caps in the correct direction, otherwise they won't come off.

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
I always solve white cross and so when it initially tells me to scramble I have to do an X2 to orient it correct. Then if I look at my solve afterwards it doesn't register the X2 and just solves it as though I'm solving cross on top. This isn't good for me to analyse the solve. Anyone got a workaround?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

What I tried recently:

Swap the white and yellow centercaps, also swap the red and orange centercap. Reset the cube in the app. From now on scramble with green on front and yellow on top. The app will think white is on top.

The cubestate won't match the cube exactly, which is also annoying, but at least the reconstruction will make more sense.

Headrick

I’m new on here. And to cubing. I have a 356i but I’ve mostly been on The beta v2 version. If your slow, or need some wins to make you feel better, I’m Your man. Lol
Username @Headrick
Cube Station @Headrick
San Diego
I’m sub 30 at best.

nonoperez

I can't update, stuck before finishing the download. Tried several times, WiFi and data.
Can someone share the APK?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-06-23-51-19-354_com.gan.cubestation.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-08-06-23-51-19-354_com.gan.cubestation.jpg
    905.4 KB · Views: 9

iBonhomme

Same thing on ios. I received a notification for an update to version 2.1(5). Since then, it doesn't work anymore.

If I click on the blue one, nothing happens. The progress bar remains stuck at the beginning.

if I click on the yellow one, I go back to https://cubestation.com/zh/download_new/

EDIT :
after several attempts by re-installing the previous version then updated, this morning switch to 2.1.39 without any problem.

Last edited:

zinzan8

Brand new cuber here, and just picked up the 356i v2 yesterday. I did do a search, but could not find a couple things:
  • Should I "turn off" the cube when I'm not playing with it? Or just disconnect it? I did see a post in this thread about not leaving it in the charger all the time...
  • My iOS App is asking me to download some new (beta?) release of the Cube Station. Worthwhile, or risky?
  • Is there any fan guide to the Cube Station app? I'm not clear on how to use Algorithm trainer, for example. The app refers to the cube on the left vs the cube on the right? I only see one image. Then it tells me to use algorithm to get it to the state of one of the cubes, then solve it? What algo do I use? Am I supposed to just put it in that state from my own memory, then "solve" it? I feel like I'm missing something here...
That's it for now! Thanks for any and all help!

Headrick

Just got a v2 356i for 40bucks from gan, just gotta show I’m receipt from first one. The new apps been working fine for me. Just open through test pilot be patient.

Headrick

Brand new cuber here, and just picked up the 356i v2 yesterday. I did do a search, but could not find a couple things:
  • Should I "turn off" the cube when I'm not playing with it? Or just disconnect it? I did see a post in this thread about not leaving it in the charger all the time...
  • My iOS App is asking me to download some new (beta?) release of the Cube Station. Worthwhile, or risky?
  • Is there any fan guide to the Cube Station app? I'm not clear on how to use Algorithm trainer, for example. The app refers to the cube on the left vs the cube on the right? I only see one image. Then it tells me to use algorithm to get it to the state of one of the cubes, then solve it? What algo do I use? Am I supposed to just put it in that state from my own memory, then "solve" it? I feel like I'm missing something here...
That's it for now! Thanks for any and all help!

I never turn mine off. I always leave them on charger.
The beta test is to sample the new version of the app before it gets released. You’ll have the new version soon either way.
the Alg trainer.... gotta mess around with it. Go slow and follow instructions and you’ll figure out what it’s asking.Sometimes is confusing when cube doesn’t go back to solved state. If so your just practicing the moves themselves, and not worried if it’s solved.
not sure if this makes sense.

zinzan8

Yeah, figured out the alg trainer. You’re right, I was confused because I didn’t understand that my cube won’t be solved or look like the test scenario. Ignore that, just look at the cube in the app, and execute the alg in my physical cube.

Thanks!

RDPearson

Hi all

Got a new GAN 356i V2 recently. However intermittently I am getting moves being missed. The physical cube is completed but yet the cube onscreen is not and the time is still running.
The cube has just been replaced and the same issue is happening with the replacement.

I also have a Giiker and this does not do it at all. It works 100% of the time. This tends to make me believe my hardware is fine and its something wrong in the V2 cube code.

I am running cstimer with both cubes. Same browser etc, just pairing to a different cube.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Richard

mars28

Is there any way to transfer old results from old (v.1.4 I guess) Cube Station to the new (v.2.x+) Cube Station? I couldn't login with old user and password in the new version of the app, I had to create another account with the same e-mail. Is it because of beta release?