• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New to cubing and saying hello

joshs2000ss

I've always wanted to learn to solve a Rubik's cube but never took the time or even had a cube. I received a cheap knock off during a cheap gift exchange and learned how to solve it using the what I assume to be the most basic method, layer by layer. I asked for an actual Rubik's brand cube for a Christmas gift (I wish I would have read more before asking for that and not another type) and after receiving it I've been working with the same method and trying to improve the movements and speed mainly.

I'm fully aware that I'm going to have to progress past this method to get faster at solving. I'm hoping to be able to get under a minute by July for a local friendly competition during a church outing. I went ahead and ordered a Zhanchi, regular and sticker less to work with. I'm just not sure where to go from here on getting faster. Learn more algorithms? Figure out a different method, which I assume means still learning more algorithms?

Hoping to read more here and watch more videos to help with the learning process. I guess I didn't realize how large the cubing community was until I started doing some reading. :)

Last edited:

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
Progress to learning F2L (ie inserting the edges along with the corners to complete the bottom two layers at the same time) and then OLL and PLL. This is CFOP, or Fridrich. There are other methods out there, but if you feel like layer by layer makes sense to you as a solving style then this is probably the best method to go to next.

My advice is to look at and try a few methods before really grinding into one because you can feel stuck after a while if you do. Experiment and enjoy the solving. You'll get faster faster (lol) the more you enjoy what you are doing :)

Welcome and I hope you're going to enjoy your stay here!

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
Herro and welcome. Fridrich has more algorithms and is the most popular method, while Roux uses less and has some cool series of M moves done at the end. Experiment around to see which one you like most.

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally I would suggest first learning the basics of petrus because that is something I would suggest learning early then learn the standard CFOP F2L stuff and try combining it. You do not have to learn OLL and PLL, you could always learn CLL/ELL which many cubers think it is just as good as OLL and PLL.

For algs you can go to the wiki page or the algorithm database.

JonWhite

Be prepared to get trolled to death. Please don't cry if your well-intended threads get ravaged by these monsters. Because it will happen eventually. And F2L is first priority for you.

joshs2000ss

By the way, Rubik is the last name of the person who invented the cube, so it would be "Rubik's cube" and not "a Rubix's cube".

Fixed my spelling issues. :)

Be prepared to get trolled to death. Please don't cry if your well-intended threads get ravaged by these monsters. Because it will happen eventually. And F2L is first priority for you.

No problems, I've been on enough message boards to understand you sometimes have to take the good with the bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
Be prepared to get trolled to death.
I disagree, this a friendly forum. Not much trolling, mostly just people not taking any crap when it comes to shoddy posting. Post things which are relevant, fresh and useful/interesting. Make sure to familiarise yourself with well established threads (like the one answer question thread). Also join a race thread :). Any question you have has most likely been asked before, so use the search function.

WCA
2013LLEW01
Sounds like a lot of opinions for you to toss around in determining which method to advance to. lol

I suggest that you use this precious time to investigate the general solving methods to see which one interests you the most. You should definitely go with the one you will have the most fun with, as you will be more likely to practice and reach your goals faster. Check out the different method outlines on the wiki to narrow it down.

Hovair

WCA
2011GONZ04
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you like block building than try roux or petrus. If you like memorizing algorithms but also getting really fast then try cfop. Cfop and Roux are some of the best methods.

Hyrtsi

YouTube
Visit Channel

chris410

Another option if you are progressing towards CFOP is "badmephisto" on Youtube. He has cross, F2L, and 2-Look OLL/PLL videos which are extremely well done.