• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My Tips for Becoming Color Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool Frog

I think this concept and method is rather universal. No matter what method you do you will still have to develop these same filters in relatively the same way. I guess I did mention a lot of f2l in here, but just replace that with whatever you do as your method. So for Roux this would be your 2x3x1 block pieces and for petrus this would be you 2x2x2 block pieces, I don't really know waterman so I don't know the equivalent.

For roux at least, This is not the method that should be followed. since there are MUCH more kinds of blocks that you can make than just the 6 crosses.
Not to mention forcing yourself to build shitty blocks when the end goal is to have more options.

DYGH.Tjen

WCA
2012TJEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright, jskyler, I'll also be trying out your switchingtoCN method, regardless of the pros' advice against it. :p I don't really time myself often (and am slow, too), but I'll just try your method out, and have a little fun doing weird color crosses. Thanks for the video!

(on a side note, what exactly does 'cold turkey switching' mean? If I'm not mistaken, cold turkey means not doing white at all but picking the easiest cross available? Am I right? Tenkiu :3)

Jaycee

YouTube
Visit Channel
Winning. Kirjava quoted pretty much every post I did earlier on. Winning.

Has anyone who uses just a 1 color cross tried to do 5 averages of 100 with each of the 5 other colors (starting with the opposite color and then opposites from there on out)? I'd be curious of the results, and how they decline over each avg of 100.

I might try this one time. Not all on one day though... Maybe 3 days. ;_;

chardison1980

YouTube
Visit Channel
no the video is great, i will keep it in the back of my mind when i go to frid, somewhere down the line if i do, or just use it for refrence to practice on, its just i am using roux, and the cross doesnt really come into play, but i see what your doing, its good to be color neutral, no matter what method.

I think this concept and method is rather universal. No matter what method you do you will still have to develop these same filters in relatively the same way. I guess I did mention a lot of f2l in here, but just replace that with whatever you do as your method. So for Roux this would be your 2x3x1 block pieces and for petrus this would be you 2x2x2 block pieces, I don't really know waterman so I don't know the equivalent. I could make the vid if enough people want it, but right now I am feeling a little less inclined to seeing as how some many people just ripped apart this vid when all I was trying to do was help.

color neutral is good to try and learn, i for one, if i get a cube scrambled and handed to me, and there happens to be a partial cross on any other side but white, im going to go with it, why destroy that to build a white cross or you dominate color cross right,

Last edited by a moderator:

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think being color neutral will help me as a roux solve. It would help me be a much more efficient block builder.
Ive seen scrambles where, I could easily see a block on another color, like red. But I didnt do it, cause i can only do white.
But i dont care if it takes me a month, or 2 or even 5 months, I wanna be color neutral.
im doing this.

oh yeah, the best part is that im stilll learning new algs, new fingertricks and all that good stuff. Whos saying , " STOP LEARNING NEW STUFF" ? Nobody.

Last edited:

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
This thread is amusing.

I'm going to do 5 avg100's with each non-white color, starting later today, and report back with the numbers that show that I haven't gotten anywhere near being color neutral.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm finding myself agreeing more and more with Kirjava lately. While I see advantages of being colour neutral I feel the effort may not justify it for faster people (I can easily see being CN taking a month if you average 30s, but many months if you're sub-15). I'm slightly colour blind and find finding pieces hard enough in F2L without mixing up the colours, However I am slightly inspired that everyone is putting in the effort.... so I'll take a few steps along the road and start learning yellow cross now.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just tried blue (on bottom), I can get sub-17... Tbh im already losing hope seeing as, as James pointed out, you're not 'really fast' so you can't even say that it'll be easy for people who are fast. Most of your arguments seem unjustified.

Also opposite colour neutral gets the best of both worlds.

Despite this, I'll keep at it, (I've only tried it for a few minutes so...) and at least become colour neutral with White/Yellow on L/R or U/D. Cool Frog did point out my hunch I had yesterday although I was caught up in the excitement after simply trying it briefly... That Roux is about efficiency and practicing, forcing yourself onto a certain block is counterproductive in a sense considering ultimately you'd pick THE most efficient block.

I don't know. I don't want to completely ditch this until I've tried. Ill continue for a week, if no success I'll work on White yellow on LR, and try to get fast at 'almost colour neutral', or partial colour neutral at the very least.

Like Godmil, I'm starting to agree with Kirjava more...
Although it'd be an advantage, it would be so much effort to get down to my speed again. On top of that, I'm nearly sub-10 non-CN :/

Last edited:

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
How many solves per day?

I would say at least 100 for it to be productive.

Also to 5BLD, you should really reread this entire thread and see all of the arguments I have provided against Kir, he has not won and is not in any way right in this argument. The mods would not like me to clutter the forum more with reposting the links to my refutes (which I completely agree with seeing as how they have been already stated), but please read more closely man. You cannot expect yourself to be perfect on Blue when you have only been doing CN for 2 days!! My method calls for at least a month to be effective. If you want to be CN than stick to it all the way, but if you stop now, you cannot say it was my method that failed, but rather that you did not follow it and gave up. I know you can do it if you stick to it man :)

Last edited:

chrissyD

WCA
2009DICK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did an average of 12 earlier with green cross and got something pathetic like 40 seconds. Even if I did use your "method" and became colour neutral I wouldn't be any faster than I am now. So I really don't see the point in switching and wasting all that effort to make your cross one or two moves less on average.

Jaycee

YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, please try this method
I think going cold turkey isn't a very structured way to do it
those who are trying my method will be the proof one way or another.
I personally tried my approach and it worked,
Just chill out and see if others like my method for switching. How can you say my method doesn't work when you haven't tried it? ... because YOU, who has not tried my method yet, thinks it wont work. ... because you didn't switch systematically. ... I am simply trying to help out the forum with a new, structured way to switch, something which the forum did not have before. ... sticking to my method and ... (this is a new method so ...)
Most people just say try switching, they never really give you a method ..., I did.

What's your method? Hard work, dedication, motivation, persistence, practice, etc etc? Olook I can do this too!

Go set the WR for every event. All it takes is practice!!!

Exaggerated but it's the second thing I thought of and it's still the same concept.

I am saying this again because you didn't answer it the first time.

You keep saying "my method" but there isn't one. There's nothing really new here.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
What's your method? Hard work, dedication, motivation, persistence, practice, etc etc? Olook I can do this too!

Go set the WR for every event. All it takes is practice!!!

Exaggerated but it's the second thing I thought of and it's still the same concept.

I am saying this again because you didn't answer it the first time.

You keep saying "my method" but there isn't one. There's nothing really new here.

Your thread was previous post was deleted because I have already responded to you and because I made two videos detailing my method. In short, for those who are confused, my "method", which is more just a scheduled way to change, calls for a 30 day period in which you do not ever use your original color. During this 30 days you will spend approximately 5 days on each other color working through them systematically by color filter groups (opposite colors that share the same f2l pieces). There will be two review days where you will practice all the colors you have learned. The point of this method is that it makes sure that you have no relapses and thus are not tempted to stop learning CN before your mind has the time to get used to it. Most people either only try for a week or two as Weston did or they don't do this systematically. My method calls for a 100% CN solve policy, which most people do not normally follow and thus, IMO , fail. I do not claim this method to be fullproof or that you will be 100% perfect at CN by the end of it, I am just stating that if you stick to it you can become CN far faster than most people realize (approx. one month is you do not stop). I acknowledge that being faster will make the transition more uncomfortable, but not impossible. As many studies have shown it takes a month to change a habit, and I believe this applies for CN as well.

Last edited:

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you for the response.

What thread? :p

Sorry, I meant previous post :)

Edit: changed

I did an average of 12 earlier with green cross and got something pathetic like 40 seconds. Even if I did use your "method" and became color neutral I wouldn't be any faster than I am now. So I really don't see the point in switching and wasting all that effort to make your cross one or two moves less on average.

Please see my videos for the benefits of changing, but in short you would have better cross choice, more chances for extended crosses, a better lookahead due to your shorter cross, a smoother solve due to this increased lookahead, more confidence that you won't have a horrible cross and thus less stress during inspection, likely a lower standard deviation because you won't have that random horrible solve due to a crazy hard cross and ideally a lower solving time in the end because you had less moves and all of the benefits listed here.

You can try my method for switching if you would like to make a change and try to gain these benefits, if they are not then don't

Last edited:

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
With all this information and responses, I think that if you just stop saying "method" and replace it with "guide" or "advice," you'd suffer a lot less.

Back to the topic at hand, nice effort.

also (correct me if I'm wrong) there are 24 starting 1x2x3 blocks in Roux. Not just 6 crosses for CFOP or 8 2x2x2 blocks in petrus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.