• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Method Development Competition - August 2020

Athefre

Ok! I'll probably have it so that there is a longer amount of time from when the announcement is made to when the competition actually starts. This is to give people more time to form teams.

Athefre

I suggest that you have two voting systems.
A community one like you did, and have a panel of judges of well respected and informed members of the community.

This could give a more interesting perspective on how the community as a whole vs more experience/influential members view new ideas

So like the weighted voting system that I posted in post #58? Using that, after the end of the competition I would show how the community voted and how the judges voted. Or do you mean have the community and the judges be completely separate? If separate, how do you suggest that a winner is determined?

CrispyCubing

WCA
2019YODE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I mean, TECHNICALLY, using advanced f2l counts as algs, but should we ignore stuff like that?
Both Roux and base CFOP stay well under 100)
I assume you would take the minimum number of algs required so you wouldn't count stuff like F2L algs or ZBLL.

But this does raise the question (Assuming an alg limit): Couldn't you get around a limit by using one alg multiple times? An example would be using sune for all cross oriented OLLs. The alternative would be to count the number of cases, but that could be hard to judge/regulate.

Hazel

Premium Member
I assume you would take the minimum number of algs required so you wouldn't count stuff like F2L algs or ZBLL.

But this does raise the question (Assuming an alg limit): Couldn't you get around a limit by using one alg multiple times? An example would be using sune for all cross oriented OLLs. The alternative would be to count the number of cases, but that could be hard to judge/regulate.
You could get around the limit this way, but it would impact how good the method is.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
So like the weighted voting system that I posted in post #58? Using that, after the end of the competition I would show how the community voted and how the judges voted. Or do you mean have the community and the judges be completely separate? If separate, how do you suggest that a winner is determined?
I was thinking separately so that way we could see what the community as a whole would say the winner is and what the judge panel would choose, then we could discuss why each group ended up with their result. It would be an interesting way to see how the community as a whole views and critiques new ideas

Athefre

I was thinking separately so that way we could see what the community as a whole would say the winner is and what the judge panel would choose, then we could discuss why each group ended up with their result. It would be an interesting way to see how the community as a whole views and critiques new ideas

So potentially have two winners? Or do you have an idea for how to decide a winner between the community vote and the judges' vote?

Athefre

I’d say two winners and then we can analyze how each group came to their decision on the winner

Ok. I'll think about it and discuss it with the teams that just completed. They may be able to express how they would feel about there possibly being two winners. My initial reaction is that I wouldn't like it as a competitor because, if I won, I would want it to be a clear win. I wouldn't want there to be one side saying "You may have won the community vote, but my team won what matters - the judge vote!" On either side it wouldn't feel as special to have won.

I think I like either the way it was done this time or a weighted system. If the weighted system, then I would provide the two additional charts at the end. Community Vote and Judge Vote.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a cool comp and a great thread. I hope to see more content like this on the forums. It was fun reading through the methods and getting a new perspective on solving the cube. I look forward to trying out all the methods more in casual solves.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just something I noticed about this yellow bird solve (the one they said was bad)

R B' L2 D2 B' F' D2 R2 L' F' U2 B D' U B' D2 U'

z2
U2 L2 B' L' B U B //222 (7/7)
R' F U2 R' F2 U2 R' F R F //p223 (10/17)
R U R' U2 R2 F R2 F' //br (8/25)
U2 R' F R F' U2 R U R' U2 F' //f2l (11/36)
U2 S' F R U R' U' F' U S //oll (10/46)
R U R' U R' U' R2 U' R' U R' U R U //pll (14/60)

U2 R U' R2' F R F2' // F2L (7/32)
U R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F // LL (15/47)

Not as bad as you thought ;)
I missed the voting period but I would have voted for yellow bird, it seems pretty awesome.

JKS

I have a really great method that I can solve with almost as fast as cfop even though I learned it in one day however I don't have time to make an entire doc about it. will the future competitions have 3x3 again?