• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

Graaaby

ok that sucks are there any with no D moves, with wide? cause i cant do D at all but i got used to a wide turn in one case

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
for a beginner, wide moves are probably easier to do than D moves. D moves usually use ring and middle finger while wide R moves are just gripping the middle layer which is pretty easy to understand and perform at a beginner level.

I would recommend learning how to do D and D' with your ring fingers, it's very helpful in lots of OLL cases. Also here are the two T cross case OLL's that I use/recommend:
Headlights Facing Inward (hold them in back): R2 D' R U2 R' D R U2 R
Headlights Facing Outward (hold them on left): Rw U R' U' Rw' F R F'

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Even though all my 2x2s can forward corner cut effortlessly and reverse cut small angles just fine, I still get some catches now and then when I overshoot. I think it's from my sloppy turning but I wonder if getting a magnetized 2x2 will actually help my times. I only have one magnetic 2x2, the YJ yupo v2, but I don't like the magnetic feel and turning on it.

Hazel

Premium Member
I've heard that at the highest level of 2x2, magnets hurt more than they help, because they apparently sacrifice a bit of TPS for stability when TPS is really an important thing. I don't know how valid this claim is, though.

Reactions: qwr

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've heard that at the highest level of 2x2, magnets hurt more than they help, because they apparently sacrifice a bit of TPS for stability when TPS is really an important thing. I don't know how valid this claim is, though.

Interesting... well I can tell you the official 2x2 record (which is so satisfying to watch) uses a magnetic chuwen.

I'm pretty much the furthest from a high level solver you can get. I just don't want to use magnetic cubes as a crutch for achieving accurate turning.

jazzmaster

What magnets that can fit in RS3M 2020?
I want to add it, cause factory one feel too weak.
There is 4x2 & 5x1 n35, n45, n50, n52 in my local rubik's shop.

Thanks

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
What magnets that can fit in RS3M 2020?
I want to add it, cause factory one feel too weak.
There is 4x2 & 5x1 n35, n45, n50, n52 in my local rubik's shop.

Thanks
Buy 24 4x2 N35 magnets. Add them only to the edges. No glue needed. Just drop them in and they'll stick to the magnets already there.

CFOP2020

Im magnetizing a MF3RS2 when my magnets come and I got the Cubicle Strong Magnet kit. Did I make a mistake? I hear the magnets are really strong.

cuber Q

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm completely obsessed by magnets in cubes. So i've been doing a lot of investigating recently. If you guys want to see the amazing results of 'core magnets'... (specifically the GAN 11 PRO M), i have shot the cube being turned in slowmotion (240fps) with a great camera. The SloMo shots are pretty amazing and really show the core magnets pulling and correcting the turns with over AND under turning (we are talking 20-25degrees correction here). The video is a general chat about the cube but the slowmo shots start at around the 2min mark) There are also so very close up shot of the core during turning. i think the magnetic core is a real gamechanger.

I'm going to try to 3d print a core to hold core magnets, and modify a different cube to have core magnets too (well try anyway). Basically I'd love to fit core magnets to all of my favourite cubes now. But the core itself will be pretty hard to 3d print i think - but i'm up for the challange. I've magnetised quite a few cubes now, becasue i love a cube to have very strong magnets, but i have to say the core magnets in the GAN 11 pro really make overly strong edge (regular) magnets pretty redundant. I'm pretty blown away by it tbh.