• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
z3cubing made this video on how to fully magnetize a volt sq 1 but the links in his video for the magnets don't work anymore and or does not let you buy less than 300 magnets.
what type of magnets does he use and how many of each type do you need?
I personally don't think it's worth it nowadays since there are mass produced factory magnetized square-1's in the Yuxin Little Magic M and the XMan Volt V2 M for an affordable price.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
why is the magnet in the inside, isn't it supposed to be on the outside so it could attract to the equator part?
If the magnet was on the outside then it would get in the way of the U and D layers when you turned it. It can still attract to the equator part through the plastic.
IMG_0749.jpeg
The magnet is on the bottom of the edge so it can attract to the 3 magnets on the equator.

Netrv Cubes

If the magnet was on the outside then it would get in the way of the U and D layers when you turned it. It can still attract to the equator part through the plastic.
View attachment 12832
The magnet is on the bottom of the edge so it can attract to the 3 magnets on the equator.
no i meant outside as in there are two sides on the edge,the pointy side and the side that clicks with the equator.
in the picture, the magnet was on the pointy side of the edge, which is near the inside of the cube, the outside part of the edge is the side of the edge which is touching the equator.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
no i meant outside as in there are two sides on the edge,the pointy side and the side that clicks with the equator.
in the picture, the magnet was on the pointy side of the edge, which is near the inside of the cube, the outside part of the edge is the side of the edge which is touching the equator.
Actually in the picture it was on the outside. That's probably my fault for the low quality image, here is a better one.

IMG_0750.jpeg
This is the edge right side up.
IMG_0751.jpeg
Now here it is flipped over. As you can see, the faint outline of the magnet is clearly on the outside part that attracts to the equator.

WCA
2019HENK01
Actually in the picture it was on the outside. That's probably my fault for the low quality image, here is a better one.

View attachment 12834
This is the edge right side up.
View attachment 12835
Now here it is flipped over. As you can see, the faint outline of the magnet is clearly on the outside part that attracts to the equator.
just take the cap off:
Foto am 08.07.20 um 20.13.jpg

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a Gan RS, a YLM, a Cubicle Strong magnet kit (1x5 N48), and a Cubicle Lite magnet kit (1x4 N48). Any suggestions on what I should do, preferably from someone who has magnetized a cube using the Cubicle kit? (Lite in RS, Lite in YLM, One type in corners, the other type in the edges, etc.)
This is probably way too late but both the cubicle Proshop and Angstrom versions of the YLM use the strong magnet kit in their premium offerings. I emailed to clarify what “Standard” means in their product description and they confirmed for that cube is it their strong magnet kit.

I have also personally magnetized black YLMs with the lite and strongkits. I prefer that locked in and stable feeling of the strong but the lite retains more of that glidy fast feeling that a non magnetic YLM has right out of the box.

I'm A Cuber

This is probably way too late but both the cubicle Proshop and Angstrom versions of the YLM use the strong magnet kit in their premium offerings. I emailed to clarify what “Standard” means in their product description and they confirmed for that cube is it their strong magnet kit.

I have also personally magnetized black YLMs with the lite and strongkits. I prefer that locked in and stable feeling of the strong but the lite retains more of that glidy fast feeling that a non magnetic YLM has right out of the box.
lol just a wee tiny little bit late