• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

M slice +2 Poll

Should M slices be a +2?

• Total voters

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wouldn't mind having them count as +2's, though whatever is easier for the people that write the regs is fine by me. Im against removing misalignment +2's, It would just make people very frustrated if they get 46º off. And I think +2 for being one move off is a fair penalty.

Last edited:

JamesDanko

WCA
2014LANG04
I voted no.

What about pyraminx? What if the "middle slice" (between the tip and base of the puzzle) was off? Would it be a DNF or +2?

Same with megaminx. What if the top and bottom layers are both one away in the same direction? is it a DNF or +2?

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
+2 for both, but I have yet to see it happening during a megaminx solve.

Of course I voted yes, but what I would really like is consistent rules. I can live with either every single move counting +2 or none at all, but only part of them is just weird.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Under "slices are +2s" rules, someone tell me what the penalty is for this, and explain why.

http://i.imgur.com/v6ax7m1.jpg

DNF. The yellow face is off by a move, and the M slice is off by a move. That being said, after seeing the arguments against M +2's, I am starting to agree. I also am starting to agree with the no +2 thing as a whole...

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
DNF. The yellow face is off by a move, and the M slice is off by a move. That being said, after seeing the arguments against M +2's, I am starting to agree. I also am starting to agree with the no +2 thing as a whole...

When you say "off by a move", what are you using as your reference point to measure how far off the faces are?

cubernya

Premium Member
Better yet, why not have each slice measure off the center slice, so if one is 46 off its +2, if both are 46 or more off its +4

Don't touch the cube. Find the optimal solution with a computer. +34 for a 17 move solution.

Where do you draw the line? Would the two moves have to be on the same axis?

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't touch the cube. Find the optimal solution with a computer. +34 for a 17 move solution.

Where do you draw the line? Would the two moves have to be on the same axis?

Axial turn metric is a very real and very irregulable thing.

Dene's "Solved or not" idea has grown on me over the years. Competitors have always had a choice in how safely they stop turning and release the puzzle before stopping the timer. The fact that people "drop/throw" their puzzles and make a bee-line for the timer is simply an aspect speedsolving's culture. That does not necessarily mean it should be catered to in the Regulations.