• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is color neutral slowing you down?

Does Color Neutral slow you down

• No

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters

StrategySam

I have been thinking about Color neutrality. Is it worth it? The justification for not being CN is that since 1 color is more familiar to you, you can look further into inspection then you could other wise. Philipp and Sebastian Weyer are both White/Yellow and they are world class. So maybe it helps to be white/yellow instead of CN. What do you think about it?

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
Im slower with it, but that's because I haven't practiced it much, but I am trying to be. I'm double colour neutral (white and yellow). My recommendation would be to try ASAP, as it will make you a bit faster and improves the flow of the solve

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
For me being CN is 100% worth it because I don't feel restricted at all. I can take multiple mediocre options and pick which one I think I can best execute. It's much more enjoyable. For example I'm CN on every WCA puzzle except for Megaminx. I feel so restricted on Megaminx because I can't take advantage of good opportunities it also gets a bit boring because the solve feels exactly the same each time.

Colour Neutrality is king (but not necessarily the best) — Jayden McNeill Speedcubing Blog (jaydenmcneillcubing.com)

This is a pretty good article.

StrategySam

For me being CN is 100% worth it because I don't feel restricted at all. I can take multiple mediocre options and pick which one I think I can best execute. It's much more enjoyable. For example I'm CN on every WCA puzzle except for Megaminx. I feel so restricted on Megaminx because I can't take advantage of good opportunities it also gets a bit boring because the solve feels exactly the same each time.

Colour Neutrality is king (but not necessarily the best) — Jayden McNeill Speedcubing Blog (jaydenmcneillcubing.com)

This is a pretty good article.
No Jay, you are king

tsmosher

No but I do sometimes get mixed up on top/bottom colors using Roux since my centers are also off by M/M2. I guess I've just learned to play close attention to my FB.

stwert

I have a question about CN. I'm a fairly new cuber, I'm still trying to get sub 1 minute consistently, so I'm a prime candidate for learning CN early. I'm wondering how you go about getting into your head the relative position of the colors. Solving the white cross, I still sometimes mess up putting red to the left or right of blue, and if you start with yellow cross, that will be flipped. Is it brute force muscle memory or are there some good tricks? I have the opposite colors down, but whether white is on the left or right of orange if blue is down... No idea.

Edit: Don't mean to hijack. I thought it was relevant to the thread, but I'm happy to start a new one.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Im slower with it, but that's because I haven't practiced it much
This. Being able to identify and choose an optimal color to start on is objectively better for your solving. Having the time, effort, a discipline to put that into practice can be very hard though. You’ll of course be slower until you’re equally proficient on any given side than your “dominant” color.

Swagrid

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a question about CN. I'm a fairly new cuber, I'm still trying to get sub 1 minute consistently, so I'm a prime candidate for learning CN early. I'm wondering how you go about getting into your head the relative position of the colors. Solving the white cross, I still sometimes mess up putting red to the left or right of blue, and if you start with yellow cross, that will be flipped. Is it brute force muscle memory or are there some good tricks? I have the opposite colors down, but whether white is on the left or right of orange if blue is down... No idea.

For me it was a mixture of both. I learned the colour scheme mostly through spending time solving, but I also learned early on that when white is on top, green is on front, orange must be on left.

tsmosher

Edit: Don't mean to hijack. I thought it was relevant to the thread, but I'm happy to start a new one.

I would say that i don't know the color scheme that well. i merely try to match up the main colors of the F2L pair correctly with my side color.

so if i have a red/white pair with a blue dot, and i have red on my right side, I'll be sure to insert the red against the red... if that makes sense.

when i started, i inserted pairs incorrectly all the time. then just pulled them back out and re inserted them.

stwert

I would say that i don't know the color scheme that well. i merely try to match up the main colors of the F2L pair correctly with my side color.

so if i have a red/white pair with a blue dot, and i have red on my right side, I'll be sure to insert the red against the red... if that makes sense.

when i started, i inserted pairs incorrectly all the time. then just pulled them back out and re inserted them.
For me I'm less worried about f2l and more about efficient cross, solving the edges relative to each other instead of each in place. And if I'm not doing a very efficient cross, I figure that loses most of the benefit of CN.

tsmosher

For me I'm less worried about f2l and more about efficient cross, solving the edges relative to each other instead of each in place. And if I'm not doing a very efficient cross, I figure that loses most of the benefit of CN.

oh. the thing that helped me for that was undoubtedly dan's 3 color rule. badmephisto is not a fan but i would not have gotten faster at my cross without it.

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01

The reason why i am better at white/yellow cross than the rest, is because i know the colour scheme as if it is muscle memory. This helps me solve pairs in the back

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
I'm also a new cuber and supposedly a prime candidate for learning CN, and I did try, but I find that White/Yellow is easy and the other colours are 10 times harder, though still doable with great concentration and loss of speed. That is for the Beginner LBL methods. I am now learning Roux and find that CN is near impossible even at the block building stage. I think that is due to the directional requirements, e.g. looking for pieces with the right colours or colours that need to be in front or at the back (i.e. red and orange respectively when starting with Blue as first block, and that changes if another colour is attempted.)

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
CN definitely helps, but it’ll be a while before you reach that point where it helps you improve. Some wr class cubers aren’t cn simply because they can’t change at this point, and to become cn would take forever